DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently installing a stereo in my truck, its an 08 silverado CC. What i want to do is replace the bottom of the center jumpseat console with a sub box and attach the existing seat back/upper console to it. Im wondering if anyone has done this?? I know ill have to make it a bit taller to fit a rear firing 8" sub, i was also considering two 6.5 inch subs or two 8 inch subs up firing. I would recess them and try to use the existing top as a cover to sit on. I realize id want to turn them down if someone sits there. I dont plan on that really happening though. Im not looking for SPL, im looking for SQ. I want to be able to turn it up but i dont need glass shattering bass. I was looking at putting an 8w7 in it sealed if it was rear firing. If i do up firing, they would have to be 6w3s or 8w3s.

So im looking for any input from anyone thats done a custom set up like this in a silverado or another GM truck with the same front seat set up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I hate all up-firing enclosures.

Fire them down. Pair of 8w3's are real nice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was leaning more towards the down fire just because I didnt like the idea of someone sitting right over the cones. I cant wait to dive into this project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw that, absolutely beautiful work. Im looking to make it appear pretty stock though. The only thing that is going to show that i have a stereo installed is the head unit. Cant really avoid it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I appreciate it

Firing woofers up shortens the path length, does not allow any gains from loading (not as loud), and you hear all the horrible harmonics and higher frequency resonance off the cone. Down firing a console takes care of all of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts