DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you I couldn't pass up the amazing deal npdang was offering with the DIYMA closeout so I got one.

This prompted me to get off my butt and start working on the FJ Cruiser again. Until the speaker gets here all I can really do is fab up the back wall of the enclosure, but I had the weekend off and didn't feel like being lazy so...here we go.

My FJ didn't come with the FJammer so I don't have a factory sub (thank God), but after taking off all of the removable panels I have the same space to work with.

Here's everything taped off and ready for glass...

...and here we are after a few hours of the fun stuff...

At first I though that I may have bitten off more than I can chew because this sucker didn't want to come out. However, after about 15 minutes of coercion and "colorful" language I managed to get it loose from the mold. I'm still pretty green when it comes to 'glass work, but I'm happy with the way things turned out.

When the sub gets here next week I'll fab up the baffle and go from there. I'm shooting for 1 cu ft and I'd like to mount the driver inverted to show off the sexay motor, but only if I can keep the cargo area useful.

Without forums like this I would have NEVER attempted such a stunt so thanks for the inspiration, guys! :beerchug:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
My brother bought one last as well,and can't wait to build an enclosure for it. Looking forward to the rest of your build and listening to my bros.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice start indeed. Make it thick and strong. Plenty of bracing helps. Think about how it will bolt down now...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very nice start I to have just started a build for my DIYMA that I couldn't pass up either.

Just a quick question on your molding process, did you coat the type with a layer of car wax? If not try that next time it will aid in the release of the mold.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I didn't coat the mold with anything. I couldn't find anyone close by that carried mold release and I didn't feel like driving all the way accross town for it...but now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of the car wax! Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No problem, live an learn. I have been in the same position as you several times, because I did not want to buy mold release agent. Until one of my friends who happens to be very big into fiberglass told me all he uses is a cheap car wax.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
No problem, live an learn. I have been in the same position as you several times, because I did not want to buy mold release agent. Until one of my friends who is very big into fiberglass told me all he uses is a cheap car wax.
I use the turtle wax that comes in a metal tin, works great.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So instead of using cooking spray like most use just rub it down with some turtle wax? That's a great tip will definitely be using that :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
So instead of using cooking spray like most use just rub it down with some turtle wax? That's a great tip will definitely be using that :)
I have never used cooking spray but I can see how that would do the same thing. I think this way is a little less messy and easier to put an even coat on but that is just me. Always up for new ideas on a mold release :thumbsup:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks like a great start! Like many people on here, I couldn't pass up the deal either, (picked up 2 for my Mazdaspeed 3.) Planning on fiberglassing them into the spare tire well and it'll be my first major fg project as well. I hope it goes as well as yours has so far!

Looking forward to more pics.

-Ben

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Looking good so far.

And like Dougie mentioned, cooking spray (Pam) works like a champ as a mold release. That's what I always use and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've seen some have some issues with cooking spray. I was thinking about trying the stuff that has flour in it as it may be a little thicker and hold up a bit better.

·
Registered
675 Posts
x2 on whoever said make sure its plenty thick and bracing if you can. It looks great for a first time job!! I am quite impressed. But think about the pressure that going to be in the box and the resonance it will cause. When I did my sub enclosure out of fiberglass, and my entire doors for that matter...a WHOLE lots of bracing, dynamat and other tricks went into making that fiberglass anti-resonant as possible. FWIW. Looks great though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I realise now that I should have laid more 'glass before popping the mold (only two layers at the moment) ...and now that it's out I'm reticent to add more 'glass for fear of warping it. I'll just wait until I get the front baffle 'glassed in before I start reinforcing from the inside.

Doing some half assed calculations using a cardboard cut-out for the baffle and a tape measure it looks like I'll have around .980 cu. ft. Of course I'll have to verify this later with some packing peanuts, but do you guys think she'll work well at that volume with 600 watts on tap? I guess we'll have to see in a couple of weeks or so.

Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That should be fine, I have intentions of building a box with about the same cubes in my set up as well. I am probably going to shy a little to the smaller side on mine though. There just is not much room in a full size truck for audio equip without sacrificing functionality.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I realise now that I should have laid more 'glass before popping the mold (only two layers at the moment) ...and now that it's out I'm reticent to add more 'glass for fear of warping it. I'll just wait until I get the front baffle 'glassed in before I start reinforcing from the inside.

Doing some half assed calculations using a cardboard cut-out for the baffle and a tape measure it looks like I'll have around .980 cu. ft. Of course I'll have to verify this later with some packing peanuts, but do you guys think she'll work well at that volume with 600 watts on tap? I guess we'll have to see in a couple of weeks or so.

Thanks again, guys.
You'll be just fine with that enclosure size and power level. No worries at all. Like Nguyen has mentioned before, the power handling of this sub actually increases as available airspace increases.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You thought about thickening the enclosure using Coremat? Good stuff and lets you use two layers of glass on bottom and another two on top of the Coremat

1 - 20 of 27 Posts