DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build a stereo box, possibly even make it a table, using 4 door speakers an extra double din kenwood radio I have and a small subwoofer and amp. The biggest problem I am having with designing it right now is figuring out a way to run it off of AC power. I need to find a converter that plugs into the wall and on the other end has positive negative wires. If I can't do that then I guess I will need to get some small 12v batteries to run it. I don't want to do this because of having to recharge the batteries. I just need some help planning this and need some tips or ideas for powering it.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
look for a 30 amp or so 12 v power supply, quite a few out there. I've been doing exactly what your planning for years now.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just buy them when I need them..

this was the first result when I googled 12v power supply amazon..you might need more like a 50 amp unit
I was actually wonder if you could show me pictures of an actual box you've made. This is my first and I'd like to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I don't know how to post pics, and I'm sure I didn't get pics.

what we did was almost exactly what your doing, four 6x9 speakers on two sides, so that it played to a larger space, and an 8 sub in a bandpass box so you don't see the sub at all, just a port on one side. ran it off a 5 channel class d jbl marine amp and had a small battery in it and a trickle charger, so we could run it off the wall or off battery, would last about 1.5 hours at mid level listening, 40 minutes at higher levels. the trickle charger had a start mode so if we needed loud we could set it to that..but the extention cord would usually get a tad warm and I never liked that so it rarely happened. when I moved, old roommate kept it, ok by me but now you've got me wanting to build another one lol.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I'm starting to order supplies for my setup and the only psu I can find are ac to dc and my unit will be running off of dc just with a trickle charger constantly connected. So my question is can I power the psu with a 12v battery.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
if you are doing dc with a trickle charger you don't need a power supply at all, trickle charge a small deep cycle battery and run off the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts