DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a build log for a custom stealthbox i did for a customer at my old shop. Car was a 2011 Volkswagen GTi. We decided on using a Digital Designs SW6.5 for the sub. This little guy does wonders.! Unfortunately, i wasn't able to hear this setup since i quit before we got to install it. I did 90% of the enclosure, so i dont take full responsibility for it. The other installer simply smoothed down the box with bondo/resin milkshake and wrapped the box in oem carpet. I personally made the mold, speaker rings, and full enclosure. i will only post pics of what i did and also the finished product.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first off, the mold. i took the factory panel out of the vehicle so he can still use his car while we worked on it. i taped up the area i was going to use and sharpied the part i was going to use for the enclosure. after a few layer of resin and mat, the mold was done and taken out of the factory panel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here are some pics of the speaker ring build and mounting it to the mold... after some test fitting, i ended up using metal backstraps to hold the rings... much quicker and easier to install. also found a pic of the SW6.5 compared to my DD B2 horn tweets and AW3 mids.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
final pics of the build... wrapping the box and seeing the enclosure. simply wrapped the box in fleece and added a couple layers of mat on it. some pics of the sub in and out of the box. also added a pic that was sent to me when the job was finally installed in the car. i've heard these subs before and they are unbelievable... just wished i would have heard this one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Very nice. I have never thought about using the factory panel as a mold. But then again, I've never fiber glassed. That is definitely something I would like to try soon. Anyways, looks good!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man. theres tons of ways to for custom fiberglass work. just gotta find whats comfortable for you. i did something similar when i did my rear doors. but thats another post for another day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the job you did on that box, since you don't work there anymore. You have plans to open up your own shop?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not from New Jersey, I just like the install

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I'm sorry that was meant for ElTico...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol. To be honest man, im only 19. The only problem about my age is that some people are skeptical about my work. But I do have plans with some of my boys to open one soon.

And im originally from Paterson but live in hawthorne now. The shop I used to work for was in kinnelon.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Lol. To be honest man, im only 19. The only problem about my age is that some people are skeptical about my work. But I do have plans with some of my boys to open one soon.
I had the same problem when I first started. People couldn't believe for my age the level of work I was able to do. Just keep up the clean work and people will slowly recognize your talent and not your age.:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol thanks man. I always go above and beyond for my customers. That's why when I left, my boss' top 5 customers gave me a ring to work on their cars.

Im currently in the process of finishing up my doors and starting a new project including 4 android tabs in a civic…… will post soon!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Did this Gti have navigation? What did you use to get a signal for the amp? Looks great!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did this Gti have navigation? What did you use to get a signal for the amp? Looks great!
as i said before, i was not the one who finished the install. but i do remember the customer wanting to retain the factory radio, so i think that he did have navi... as for a signal, they should have been able to use a basic line output converter, tapping into the speaker wires, as long as they are not summed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The owner of that GTI actually posted the work you did and the finisher of the install did on a GTI forum, nice to meet the guy who did the majority of the work. A few of us wondered why the enclosure didn't completely fill out that side of the trunk but now knowing you didn't complete it I guess it was a rush job at the end.

I doubt I'd use a 6.5" ever for bass but if you ever want to try that with an 8" in another '11 GTI, let me know, I'll drive to NJ from NYC for your work.....

-Gray

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The owner of that GTI actually posted the work you did and the finisher of the install did on a GTI forum, nice to meet the guy who did the majority of the work. A few of us wondered why the enclosure didn't completely fill out that side of the trunk but now knowing you didn't complete it I guess it was a rush job at the end.

I doubt I'd use a 6.5" ever for bass but if you ever want to try that with an 8" in another '11 GTI, let me know, I'll drive to NJ from NYC for your work.....

-Gray
you mean the one on this forum.? HYDE16 Reviews Surpreme Sound’s Custom GTI Slimline Fiberglass Enclosure - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

yeah, joes the short guy and iassic (however you spell it) the black guy. he was the one who finished the box and everything after i left.. im actually glad that ryan was pleased with how it went out. i was nervous because the DD SW6.5's ask for .31^ net with port, but i left it sealed.

the reason i didnt use all of the cavity was because when ryan wanted it done, he didnt want to leave it for a couple hours to completely mold the entire area. so i worked with what i had, the only panel he allowed us to remove.

i'd be more than glad to do it for an 8". i really appreciate you like how it came out. jut let me know if you ever want it done or plan on anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts