DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Yes - there are numerous ones but that kind of output level is usually on the Balanced (XLR) Outputs and not the RCA outputs... What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

• Helpful
Reactions: LowBassSubs

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
A digital output is not from a dac… you may find dacs which also perform digital bridge functions, but that’s two different functions

if you just want digital… the best way to go into a dsp… use an Smsl PO100 which is usb to coax or optical output… it’s also cheap as chips
If you want a dac for home that also provides digital for a dsp, then get a topping d10s

Both the above have exactly the same digital chipset so are identical, for the extra 80 dollars the d10s is a very good dac

for 6v out though, aftermarket dacs don’t need to do that kind of voltage ever so that will be a rarity except with balanced maybe, but even then 4v is more the norm 👍🏼

Why do you feel the need for 4-6v though, balanced won’t be accepted by most dsps or home audio amps for that matter

2v is plenty if into a dsp or car amp even, more isn’t better if the dac is very clean like the topping d10s for example

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes - there are numerous ones but that kind of output level is usually on the Balanced (XLR) Outputs and not the RCA outputs... What is it that you're trying to accomplish?
Thanks man.

I am of the mindset that more voltage equals clarity and power out to the speakers. I have noticed this through the years.

A digital output is not from a dac… you may find dacs which also perform digital bridge functions, but that’s two different functions

if you just want digital… the best way to go into a dsp… use an Smsl PO100 which is usb to coax or optical output… it’s also cheap as chips
If you want a dac for home that also provides digital for a dsp, then get a topping d10s

Both the above have exactly the same digital chipset so are identical, for the extra 80 dollars the d10s is a very good dac

for 6v out though, aftermarket dacs don’t need to do that kind of voltage ever so that will be a rarity except with balanced maybe, but even then 4v is more the norm 👍🏼

Why do you feel the need for 4-6v though, balanced won’t be accepted by most dsps or home audio amps for that matter

2v is plenty if into a dsp or car amp even, more isn’t better if the dac is very clean like the topping d10s for example
While many are ok with 2v rca outs I am not by any means. For example. Take a cell and go directly into an amp or dsp. It puts maybe .1 or so volts into. Then go and put your 2v into that same amp or dsp. Which sounds better and has more power output? Which leads the aforementioned equipment to perform more efficient?

That said I'm not here to debate which is better, just to obtain my goal. 5-6v, well I guess 4v is exceptable.

Currently I do not have a dsp installed. Just factory hu, Lc7i then amps.

the digi out will go to my dsp when it gets installed.

For now I'd like to find something that outputs a high bit rate and high voltage.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That said I'm not here to debate which is better, just to obtain my goal. 5-6v, well I guess 4v is exceptable.
4V RMS = 6V Peak-to-Peak

Keep that in mind when comparing data.

• Helpful
Reactions: LowBassSubs

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a fallacy. Gain structure is a simple concept that is often misunderstood.

There is such thing as too much voltage just as there is too little.
This is not a question. This thread was not created for a debate. Period.

I have a desire to input rated voltage into my equipment as needed. Will I use said voltage 24-7 no. Do I understand what gain structure is yes. This is not a hey let's debate thread.

Please cut it and provide replies with substance pertaining to the matter at hand.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

I have a desire to input rated voltage into my equipment as needed. Will I use said voltage 24-7 no. Do I understand what gain structure is yes. This is not a hey let's debate thread.

Please cut it and provide replies with substance pertaining to the matter at hand.
My response was not intended to spark a debate. It was for posterity - should anyone find this thread in the future.

My apologies. Carry on with your quest for a high voltage DAC.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I already gave you the correct answer a few posts up. Pick a DAC with a good headphone output and you’ll get more than you need.

The fact that you won’t use it 24/7 and didn’t know the relationship between RMS and Pk-Pk suggests that you actually do not understand gain structure as well as you think you do.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I already gave you the correct answer a few posts up. Pick a DAC with a good headphone output and you’ll get more than you need.

The fact that you won’t use it 24/7 and didn’t know the relationship between RMS and Pk-Pk suggests that you actually do not understand gain structure as well as you think you do.
Look you have not the slightest clue as to what I know. Sometimes It is best you stay in your place and keep it rolling.

I did not reply to you as it was not needed and what is to question is your reason for even posting in this thread! Like why? I clearly stated i am not looking to go back and forth about what a text book says There is zero point to recking yet another thread to validate your opinion.

I appreciate all who posted with info regarding this thread.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Look you have not the slightest clue as to what I know. Sometimes It is best you stay in your place and keep it rolling.

I did not reply to you as it was not needed and what is to question is your reason for even posting in this thread! Like why? I clearly stated i am not looking to go back and forth about what a text book says There is zero point to recking yet another thread to validate your opinion.

I appreciate all who posted with info regarding this thread.
People are actually trying to help you, you should listen.

Like I said, I gave you the 100% best valid answer to your question, no matter how ill-conceived it is. The unbalanced headphone output of most DACs can greatly exceed the output voltage of their line level outputs.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
First of you won’t find a dac that also has a digital output… the only one I have seen is a topping d10s which is 2v and also has optical and coax output…

and you definitely won’t ever find a dac bar the very high end studio dacs that are balanced with more than 2v and car audio kit doesn’t take balanced, so you’re at 2v and a topping d10s pretty much

Tbh I’d buy your dsp as any dac that’s over 2v and balanced will be well in excess of your dac cost, so save the funds, buy a dsp and an Smsl PO100 and make the leap, don’t forget you will also need a volume control for the dsp as you don’t want to be adjusting digital volume at source. It wants to be full volume and therefore full bit depth all the time, reduce volume or add it at the end of the chain, I’d use a helix dsp with enough channels to do what you need with a director/conductor/urc.3 (that’s what I do use with a topping d10s and iPad mini 5 into my dsp ultra with coax and a conductor)

ask the same question on the audio science review site and you will get the same answer

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
People are actually trying to help you, you should listen.

Like I said, I gave you the 100% best valid answer to your question, no matter how ill-conceived it is.
The only help I needed was to find what I sought after.

Not some hey your wrong and do not know what your talking about! Like really... you dudes preach headroom and resonix all day then when someone comes along and says something different oh heck that's the dumbest fool ever. He knows nothing...

Man if you kept it simple and just said the easiest way is to get it from a headphone jack it would of been cool.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only help I needed was to find what I sought after.

Not some hey your wrong and do not know what your talking about! Like really... you dudes preach headroom and resonix all day then when someone comes along and says something different oh heck that's the dumbest fool ever. He knows nothing...

Man if you kept it simple and just said the easiest way is to get it from a headphone jack it would of been cool.
No one is trying to sell you anything in this thread. I promise. It's not about any concept like headroom or anything. There's a legit ideal output for your DAC that you can find based on your amp's input range and gain settings. We can help you find it. It's not a theory or philosophy or anything, it can be calculated and we can even walk you through it and then you can take it somewhere else to verify that no one is bullshitting you here.

Find a DAC you want and i will attempt to tell you what the headphone jack can deliver if enough info is published. Not all of them can reach 6V peak or whatever if it you want, not sure if it's peak, peak to peak, or RMS.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No one is trying to sell you anything in this thread. I promise. It's not about any concept like headroom or anything. There's a legit ideal output for your DAC that you can find based on your amps input range and gain settings. We can help you find it. It's not a theory or philosophy or anything, it can be calculated and we can even walk you through it and then you can take it somewhere else to verify that no one is bullshitting you here.
Stop waisting time and put up some paperwork showing where the dac sweetspot is... let's get this over.

BTW this so is outside the point of this thread its ridiculous. But let's get this sorted out so In the end you guys can see where I am going...

And Go...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stop waisting time and put up some paperwork showing where the dac sweetspot is... let's get this over.

BTW this so is outside the point of this thread its ridiculous. But let's get this sorted out so In the end you guys can see where I am going...

And Go...
Forget it, I tried, but you are too stupid to help and won't be cooperative. You didn't even post enough information to start.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Forget it, I tried, but you are too stupid to help and won't be cooperative. You didn't even post enough information to start.
he posted enough for me to be able to tell him it doesn’t exist and suggest a solution… but he’s flat out ignored that so he can now disappear and go tell another forum they are wrong about scientific fact, physics and how gain structure works…

1 - 20 of 43 Posts