DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Damaged voice coil, fixable?

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  brandrew2011 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a Dayton RSS265HO-44 subwoofer and a winding on the voice coil has come undone & there is slight damage to the aluminum former (picture). Both coils still power the sub and there was no VC rubbing before taking the sub apart, just a rattle from the loose winding. Inspecting the damage, it looks like the winding may have come undone by hitting the backplate too hard. The voice coil is also slightly crumpled in the middle which would support that theory. I was able to remove the rubber surround and dissolve the contact cement holding the spider so both of those components are still in good shape. Dayton doesn’t have re-cone kits as far as I’m concerned so I will have to fix this myself. If I re-glue the winding, is there a chance this speaker could work again or is it a lost cause?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Coil is completely shot. Even if you somehow managed to glue the winding back the wrinkle in the former is going to cause issues. Best to recone completely or if you're really hard up you can try and remove spiders and cone from the coil and find a replacement coil.

#5 ·
Really? Well if that’s the case then maybe I'll just save my time and buy a new sub. I’m not desperate to save it but I thought it could be an interesting project. The damage didn’t seem so bad at first glance but the tolerances are so tight for these drivers that I doubt it would perform the same again. Off to parts express!

#10 ·
I'm not really all that serious about it, just curious. I'll probably just glue it back together and see what happens.

I had a Boston G2 15 in before and forgot to reset the gains when I threw the Dayton back in, so when the bass hit that was the end of that. Pretty surprising it bottomed out like that considering I have it in a teeny tiny .4 cube box. Honestly though, probably my favorite sounding sub I've heard to date. Very musical.

Next project is going to be building an infinite baffle setup to replace it using probably a Fi IB318. Need to get those lows...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.