DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, complete newbie, be gentle !
I'm having a Audison DSP fitted to my car and it has a optical input
I require a DAP or something similar that has optical out connectivity.
I'll be using it with Tidal so need to be able download content for offline use.
Can anyone help, appreciate your advice

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Corolla
11 Posts
Hi, complete newbie, be gentle !
I'm having a Audison DSP fitted to my car and it has a optical input
I require a DAP or something similar that has optical out connectivity.
I'll be using it with Tidal so need to be able download content for offline use.
Can anyone help, appreciate your advice
Hi there! I'm definitely interested in responses to this thread too.

I have an Audison Bit One that I will install into my car. I'm looking for a quality DAP that I can use the digital output to feed the Bit One high quality audio.

So far I'm looking primarily at the IBasso DX160 or Fiio M11 as they seem to have good reviews and be in my budget range at around $400. Some other digital options include Astell and Kerns ak100ii and Cowon plenue R. You can check out some other options at the link below.

Some more digital Daps, posts near the bottom of this thread:

My hope is to find research of what is working for people so I don't run into snags if I go ahead and buy a $400 Dap. I don't want to find out the hard way that it is not compatible for whatever reason.

The other pertinent question is whether to use Coax or Optical SPDIF. I've seen these terms used in confusing ways at times. The link here seems to clarify really well some distinctions.

My interpretation is that Optical signals won't be influenced by outside signals in the car as much. However Coax does tend to do a fine job of transferring signals so long as it's not too affected by outside interference. Both Optical and Coax transfer signals via SPDIF format. One uses light to fluctuate the signal and the other electricity. If I'm reading right the DX160 and M11 both use Coax and I don't believe have the optical outputs. I'm planning a relatively short run from my console under the rear carpet and back seat into the trunk for the Bit One with a 6 or 8' cable, so I'm thinking I should be fine with a Coax cord. Apparently its better to use a shorter run of cable as too long can perhaps lower the volume or quality of the sound.

Let me know what you think. Hopefully some folks with Audison DSP's will chime in what has worked and not worked for them with DAPs as high quality audio sources.

Cheers!!

My Specs: I'm in a 2007 toyota corolla.
Alpine 143bt head unit
Audison Bit One DSP
Polk db6502 components in front; Hertz dieci 6x9s in rear
Rockford Fosgate R500x1d to JL Audio 12 W6v3-4 Subwoofer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I got my car back on Friday !!!

I have the Audison 8.9 bit dsp/amp, with the Fiio M11, which works like a dream.

I use a CD mount for it.

I am a newbie to this but it sounds amazing !!

I believe most DAPs come with coaxial, but my dsp only has a optical input.

Audison have designed a convertor for this, which I purchased..

).

If you read the manual it is specifically designed for DAPs.

It's quite expensive but I didn't want to buy a third party unit.

Apparently, this is the first time anyone had bought the unit in the UK !

I use a DRCMP - Shop - Source Sounds

to control the DAP.

Hope this helps, good luck !

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Corolla
11 Posts
Sweet!!! That's awesome! I'm excited you got it working well. Would you mind posting a couple pictures of your setup if you have a chance?

Did you have to change any special settings in the M11 for using the digital out properly?

Do you have any sense about whether the digital coax output bypasses any of the Dap circuitry and gives a sort of bit perfect signal to the dsp/amp? Just curious as it seems to me that if it's not using the "amp" or DAC (digital analog converter) in the Dap player as it's a digital signal still, it might not matter for instance how loud the volume wheel goes on the DAP for the music going to the DSP.
Sorry if this is confusing. I'm reaching for the feel of how this works and trying to understand it. (-;

Here's a pic of the DSP that I got for cheap. May not interest you, I'm just excited!! lol

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Corolla
11 Posts
Also do you know if the installers of your DSP/Amp had any particular challenges tuning it to the specifics of your vehicle?

What kind of vehicle is it by the way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get some photos for you later.

I just set the M11 to SPDIF and it worked fine.

With this set up it bypasses the internal DAC and uses the one in the DSP.

The maximum volume from using the Fiio isn't as loud as the factory head unit, but its adequate for me.

BTW, I always listen to my music loud and have a BMW Z4 which is a hard top convertible.

Audison provided a set up for my vehicle so the installer used the one provided, as its a lot quicker and easier.

I definitely notice the difference.

I'm really happy with it. I was lucky to get advice from other installers who helped me as I don't know how many times DAPs are used with in car upgrades.

The attached was really useful.

The reason I went for a DAP is that I wanted the best source I could get for the money. Its seems pointless to spend a lot of money on a DSP and speakers to play MP3s !

I used Audison predominately as they have a lot of plug and play upgrades for BMW.

I did intend to have a subwoofer fitted behind the passenger seat, but the Audison one was too big at 6". I'm now looking at a Kicker one which is 3". There is a separate button on the DRC MP to control the sub.

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Corolla
11 Posts
Great!! Thank you!

I don't think I will need this C2O converter as the Bit One accepts Optical or Coax. Though it is helpful seeing the diagram of the pinout on the aux 3.5 headphone jack and which pins usually apply to which for left, right, and ground pins.

Sounds like a fun vehicle, now with incredible sound!! :D

Whenever you have time, I will enjoy seeing some pictures of your setup.

Good Deal!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I posted in your other thread, but I will add this here:

If you go optical, be careful with what cable you go with and how you route it. You can't do tight bends with optical, especially if you go with a real glass cable. Mono-filament is more flexible and cheaper, but glass can be better. I bought the above cable off Amazon for like $8 because I wanted something thin and flexible, but it ended up not fitting tightly enough into the DAP and I discovered that the mini-Toslink end did not have a perfectly polished finish. I was getting static from it, so I ended biting the bullet and dropping $100 on a good glass cable. I get it in the mail tomorrow so I haven't tried it out yet. I will need to figure out how to route it to the amp (which is under the seat) without bending it too much. Again, in your other thread, I mentioned that in hindsight I probably would have gone M11 with USB to USB HEC (Helix).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, my dsp/amp only has an optical input. I was advised to use a coaxial cable from the M11 into a convertor. So, in the Z4 I have a 3m coaxial into the convertor using a small cable into the Audison 8.9bit. I believe the coaxial cables are more durable especially due to the environment of a car where, as you suggest, they are bent to accommodate routing, so far, so good. Just need a sub for behind the seat.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I love my A&K into my helix DSP. It slaughters my top end kenwood head unit for SQ. I have 2 now and use them for so much more than the car. My LGV30+ is a great phone for music. The DAPs slaughter it too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you find the volume with the DAP into DSP. It's adequate for me even with the roof down on my Z4, but I do have to set at near the maximum level compared to the volume via the head unit.

Has anyone boosted the volume through the DSP ?

I did notice an EQ setting on Poweramp called "Speaker (Loud) that boosts volume, has anyone found an alternative ?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
How do you find the volume with the DAP into DSP. It's adequate for me even with the roof down on my Z4, but I do have to set at near the maximum level compared to the volume via the head unit.

Has anyone boosted the volume through the DSP ?

I did notice an EQ setting on Poweramp called "Speaker (Loud) that boosts volume, has anyone found an alternative ?
Are you using digital or analogue signal

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have not had volume issues using either BT or optical. They are both louder than my analog input from my factory HU (which I don't really use). I plan on setting up the factory HU signal to give me hands-free phone priority into the analog AUX channels of my Helix P Six, but I haven't done that yet. Essentially, the DAP (with optical out) is my primary signal source. You should be able to adjust digital gain within your DSP software if you need more volume, but I don't think it will be an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my M11 mounted on a CD mount, with the USB power cable and coax out. There is s space in my car for a storage compartment where the Audison control console is fitted. Digital connection is just for the M11, the only downside is that I can't hear the parking sensors or seat belt alert. However, we are working on finding a solution. The SQ with the DAP and DSP especially taking into account the delays for the speakers, is amazing !

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is my M11 mounted on a CD mount, with the USB power cable and coax out. There is s space in my car for a storage compartment where the Audison control console is fitted. Digital connection is just for the M11, the only downside is that I can't hear the parking sensors or seat belt alert. However, we are working on finding a solution. The SQ with the DAP and DSP especially taking into account the delays for the speakers, is amazing !
Lewis, does that coax "Y" into two RCA's or just one all the way to the DSP or does a digital signal not need two channels? I am trying to visualize how I'd go from coax to my Helix.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The attached document shows how its connected, thanks
Oh I see. You're just using a coax to optical converter. I think there are many options out there when it comes to coax/optical converters.

For Helix owners, you can go right to the DSP or amp (if you have P Six, P Eight, etc.) with USB-C if you've got the HEC USB installed and have any one of the new DAP's that have USB output. The downside to this is charging capability, but I believe there are devices that will allow you to charge and transmit data at the same time. I was researching this a few months ago. I'll have to dig up what I found.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I looked into them too, good luck.
There are a few that say they work but, don't.
This was quite interesting..
I went with the Audison convertor for symmetry across the install

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Corolla
11 Posts
Thanks Lewis for the picture. Looks like a great custom setup for the dap and the remote for the dsp!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts