DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was out in my car tuning like I always seem to be. Just for kicks I decided to lay a couple towels on the dash making sure to cover all areas around both tweeters. I turned on the tunes and lo and behold, with absolutely no tuning, the image centered perfectly in the middle and the tweeters seemed to disappear for the first time ever. So, now I would like some opinions on dash mats from the guys that use them. There looks to be three different basic kinds of material these are made out of - carpet, velour and suede. I am thinking that suede is the best for looks and acoustic damping but it is also the most expensive and really what do I know. Anybody got an opinion?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tweeters are sitting on my dash in their factory cups pointed as best I can towards the rear view mirror. I think the large reflection causing issues is the driver's one as it is kind of pointed towards the cluster hump. This is a temp. install until I 1. get up the nerve to attempt fiberglass and 2. it warms up enough to even attempt it. I will have this issue even after I am done as I am going to be making dash pods for these tweets and a 3 incher to go 3 way. It will be butted up against the apillar and windshield. Does anyone have anything to say about dash mats?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I chose carpet because of the thickness of material and the absorption properties. I wouldn't of thought the thin layer of suede would do anything.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I chose carpet because of the thickness of material and the absorption properties. I wouldn't of thought the thin layer of suede would do anything.
I was kind of thinking along these lines as well. Also, in all of the build logs I have seen that use them have always been carpet. In your opinion, did it make a noticeable difference for you?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I can tell a difference with my suede Dashmat. My mids and tweets are pillar mounted.
What I would recommend is searching for the threads on here about dash mats in general...my Dashmat brand mat fits like crap, some others I've seen on here look to fit much better for about the same cost.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can tell a difference with my suede Dashmat. My mids and tweets are pillar mounted.
What I would recommend is searching for the threads on here about dash mats in general...my Dashmat brand mat fits like crap, some others I've seen on here look to fit much better for about the same cost.
Dashmat brand is kind of what I was leaning towards. What are the brands of these other mats that supposedly fit better? I need one that will look good and fit right - it needs the wife approval;) I will keep looking but I don't usually see a brand name listed on these build logs.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Well I wanted something close to the same material as the bath towel I tested with. The carpet had the same effect as the towel. It really does have a night and day difference.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts