DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making pods for my dash to hold Morel CCWR-245 mids and Morel Ultra tweeters. The pods are 3D printed out of ABS, they are solid and around 1/4" thick, sitting on 1/8" plastic sheet that has a 3" hole cut over the factory speaker location that opens up to the dash.

The speakers will be mounted to a 1/4" thick aluminum baffle.

My question is, should I fill them with Polyfil, or line them with sound deadener or something else or just leave it? I could even seal them back up.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Paint Goggles

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do both
Thanks,
My only concern is having the deadener melt and release from the housing and stick to the speakers. I'm not sure how much heat it can handle, especially stuck to plastic. when I'm done painting them I'll put some deadener in there and let it sit on my dash and see what happens. If nothing else, I'll stick it to the bottom.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you gonna use quality damping material, you dont need to worry that it will peel off. Damping will prevent that enclosure to ring. Also fill that enclosure lightly with poly fill.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
If you gonna use quality damping material, you dont need to worry that it will peel off. Damping will prevent that enclosure to ring. Also fill that enclosure lightly with poly fill.
as stated and wont get into any names because that starts a debate. Any quality damping material should hold up and not peel or melt, especially if placed on correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
line the inside walls with clay and or duct seal which is like clay but used for sealing electrical conduit. You can find duct seal at Home Depot in electrical isle. usually bottom shelf. its very dense, just like clay, easily moldable and allows u to push into areas you cant get dampening sheets. every speaker enclosure set up I do , I line with as much duct seal as I can fit. then fill enclosure with insulation like rockwool. polyfill isnt dense enough to have as much of an effect. Id avoid blue jeans type insulation and similar products bc its actually too dense and will take up airspace and choke off the midrange.

·
Registered
235 Posts
line the inside walls with clay and or duct seal which is like clay but used for sealing electrical conduit. You can find duct seal at Home Depot in electrical isle. usually bottom shelf. its very dense, just like clay, easily moldable and allows u to push into areas you cant get dampening sheets. every speaker enclosure set up I do , I line with as much duct seal as I can fit. then fill enclosure with insulation like rockwool. polyfill isnt dense enough to have as much of an effect. Id avoid blue jeans type insulation and similar products bc its actually too dense and will take up airspace and choke off the midrange.
So there is no problem with the Duct Seal melting / running in the pod when exposed to high heat? I know the Home Depot website says it is good to 350 degrees F, but I never really believed it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
I've had zero issues with it in any vehicle. I have approximately 3lb per side in each of my dash enclosures in the cowel area of my TSX.
There is 6lbs in each 8" kick panel.

Some modeling clay will melt and cause issues but duct seal will not.

In my wife's e46 there was 3lbs per side for the 3s in the dash.
And nearly 8lbs per side for her kick panels.

Most people do not realize how much damping resonance can improve a system. It's a very simple. But time consuming thing that majority of people overlook.

Make the speaker enclosures, especially the mounting surface as dead as possible and all surrounding surfaces dead.
That way the speaker can actually reproduce music and not excite panels and resonances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts