DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading soon towards the prospect of trying out a dashmat of some sort. First i need a material that will absorb the sound waves, and i need some way of keeping it on my dash that wouldn't be Perminent.

I've thought about using a simple layer of Ensolite, but i don't think that it would be very attractive, and that is a top priority as well. As far as other materials that come to my attention, i really don't have any, so suggestions would be great as far as materials go.

This is a Scion tC.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i used open cell foam from madisound.....and a dashmat from www.godashmat.com

worked very well....

as far as non permanent attachment....

maybe some adhesive like "goop"....that can easily be taken off when you sell the car....

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean i have some left over Ensolite and would like to use it, but how would i finish the edges, or some kind of trim on it, to make it look like it was part of the vehicle, and make it blend in to the car alot better than just having one big piece up there and not have it look like it was supposed to be there.

Thats a decent view of the dash, its color is like that of the rest of the interior plastic panels, a dark grey. Yea and hey no comments about it being dirty lol. Planning to get new pictures when everything is done.

·
Registered
531 Posts
do they have dashmat's for those cars yet....

just put the ensolite on the dash....and cover it with the dashmat....my dashmat was an exact fit....and the foam fit right underneath....no dashmat is really pretty...but you get used to it :)

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I ordered two dashmats, one for my buddy and he put it in right away, fits well, shuld of bought the dark gray instead of black one. The second one for our car is black as well and does not fit right:(:(

But, they do cut down on glare, reduce a bit more road noise and deffinately improve the audio:)

I plan to upholster our dash eventually with stock fabric or what matches our new racetechseatsna.com race seats.

Rick

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
You know, I don't think any material that will actually absorb sound is going to look as attractive as the stock vinyl. It's going to have that old-lady-upholstery carpeted look. Ensolite is a closed-cell foam, which technically blocks sound, rather than absorbing it, if that makes any difference. I think Ensolite would look fine if your interior is grey, being flat and non-fibery, but finishing the edges would be a big challenge. Also you will have to put adhesive on the entire back of it to prevent any of it from bulging.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea thats what i'm trying to figure out how to do, Keep a low thin profile, and be able to attach it to my dash somehow.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
But does it leave any residue behind after its taken off? Thats the problem with picking materials, i'd like to attatch it to the dash somehow but if i decided to take it off i'd rather not have a piece of goop sticking off the dash. Or tape marks and such.

Was looking on a site and i noticed they have a Regular Dashmat, and then a Velour Dashmat, As far as sound properties which would be the better one to get to soak up reflections and clean imaging and high end response up?

Will most likely be going with the Smoke color from the link on page one if i decide on these Dashmats. So which is the one i need?

·
Registered
531 Posts
demon2091tb said:
But does it leave any residue behind after its taken off? Thats the problem with picking materials, i'd like to attatch it to the dash somehow but if i decided to take it off i'd rather not have a piece of goop sticking off the dash. Or tape marks and such.

Was looking on a site and i noticed they have a Regular Dashmat, and then a Velour Dashmat, As far as sound properties which would be the better one to get to soak up reflections and clean imaging and high end response up?

Will most likely be going with the Smoke color from the link on page one if i decide on these Dashmats. So which is the one i need?
that's what adhesive remover is for :)

i did use some velcro on my dash as well....for the dash mat....and the adhesive backing it has didn't stick to my dash at all....can't remember if i superglued it on...or gooped it...only way i could get it to stick....damn slippery plastic....

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
The DAP stuff that you order with Ensolite works well, and should have no problems on a slippery dash surface. However, I put a layer of Ensolite under my hood, and any inch I didn't cover would hang down in an unsightly bulge. Of course in that case, gravity is not on my side, but I suspect you would notice unevenly-adhered sections on a dashboard application as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts