DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aurasound ns10-513-4a or dayton 10 ho
i have around 1.9cf to work with and im considering a pair of either of these

i think two of either of these will get loud enough im mainly concerned with getting low and staying flat, any opinions? i have 300 watts at 4 ohms available for each sub

also and most importantly can anyone tell me the optimum size enclosure for these, or point me to some free speaker design software, thanks

im leaning towards the aurasound if you only feel like modeling one up

aura specs....................................
The NS10-513-4A is a 4 ohm Aluminum Cone Subwoofer

In a 1.6 cubic foot vented box with a 3" diameter vent by 10" long, your F3 is 33Hz.
For more bass impact, use two woofers wired in series in a 2.75 cubic foot box with a 4" vent by 10" long. Your F3 should be 36Hz.
A car response (with 6dB of cabin gain) will give you 30Hz in a 0.5 cubic foot sealed box.

Aurasound 10" high-output subwoofer
Nominal Diameter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .10 inches (254 mm)
Nominal Impedance (Z) . . . . . . . . . . 4 ohms
Sensitivity, 1W/1m (E) . . . . . . . . . . . 84 dB @ 200 Hz
Power Capacity, RMS (Pe) . . . . . . . . 200 W
Power Capacity, Peak . . . . . . . . . . . 800 W
Frequency Range (-10dB) . . . . . . . . Fo - 4 kHz
Minimum Impedance . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 ohms
Voice Coil Diameter . . . . . . . . . . . . . 51.3 mm
Voice Coil Winding Length (h) . . . . . 12 mm
Voice Coil Number of Layers (n) . . . . 4
Voice Coil Former Material . . . . . . . . Kapton
Voice Coil Wire Composition . . . . . . Copper
Magnetic Material . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Neodymium radial
Stray Flux Shielding . . . . . . . . . . . . . Inherent
Magnetic Gap Depth (He) . . . . . . . . 32 mm
Cone Material . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Aluminum
Surround Material . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Injecton molded rubber
Polarity, Outward Motion . . . . . . . . . Positive voltage on (+) terminal
Net Weight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.5 kg
Thiele / Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fo) - Fs . . . . . 29 Hertz
Voice Coil DC Resistance - Re . . . . . 3.04 ohms
Total Q - Qts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.34
Mechanical Q - Qms . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.4
Electrical Q - Qes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.35
Equivalent Volume of Air - Vas . . . . . 53.6 L
Radiating Piston Area - Sd . . . . . . . . 346 cm
Electrical / Mechanical Parameters
Flux Density x Length - BL . . . . . . . . 12.2 Tesla-meters
Compliance - Cms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 318 mm/N
Total Mass - Mms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 95.5 grams

dayton specs..............................
Specifications: *Power handling: 600 watts RMS/1000 watts max *VCdia: 2-1/2" *Le: 1.75 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.4 ohms *Frequency range: 24 - 600 Hz *Fs: 24 Hz *Magnet weight: 100 oz. *SPL: 87 dB 2.83 V/1m *Vas: 1.20 cu. ft. *Qms: 4.20 *Qes: .36 *Qts: .33 *Xmax: 12mm *Dimensions: A: 10-1/2", B: 9-1/4", C: 5".

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
WINISD beta (no pro version). For a first time user, the beta version is easier, but doesn't tell you much. With experience you can move up to WINISD pro.

With that much airspace, the 10HF would be better suited for it than the 10HO.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for two of them though?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Most folks recommend the HO in .75 ported each, so yeah thats kinda big for 2 of those sealed. The HF requires more room.
Well, after you get ALL that vent squeezed in the box I think it would house 2 of the HO's nicely!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies, so no love for the aurasound?, i read for a while last night about the dayton and your (Chad) experience with it in a larger box than recommended, what did you finally end up with Chad, sealed or ported i think i read you were using two ports2" 26" long, is that what you ended up with?, still like it?

durwood i downloaded the winisd beta but i guess im not too bright cause i dont know where to input stuff, guess i have to read the manual.....damn

anyone want to tell me what size box would be good, i had planned on going sealed unless i get some exact build specs for a ported enclosure

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
thanks for the replies, so no love for the aurasound?, i read for a while last night about the dayton and your (Chad) experience with it in a larger box than recommended, what did you finally end up with Chad, sealed or ported i think i read you were using two ports2" 26" long, is that what you ended up with?, still like it?
Vented, love it, different box with a "wood port" having 6.5SqInches of vent face. Makes a whole lotta low end for a single 10" and is well refined. May not ba as loud as a 12" in a boom-box but it sure as shit kicks the sealed enclosure of the same size in the nutz.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, but if im using two what would be a good place to start, two seperate chambers each ported or in the same space

ive only built sealed boxes (and only a couple), i can build them well but im clueless as to proper design for the box, im gonna make this box a birch/fiberglass hybrid

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I would put 2 drivers in one vented enclosure, This way any and all driver differences will average out, it should also be an easier build. Do the glass part first, then fill it with water to find out how much space you have, then build up with wood from there. Unlike sealed you want a good amount of accuracy in terms of airspace.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what size box volume and port size would you use for one big box, sorry for asking for the spoon feeding version but i dont know how to design it

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Whatever WinISD Sez :D Should be right at a cube and a half, I'll play with it after lunch, heading out nao.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you want sealed for that size, the Aura is gonna work out better, but if you don't mind putting forth the effort required for a ported enclosure, the Dayton HO is a great driver to use in that situation.

Somewhere between .67-.75 cubes per driver after displacement, with 6-10sq inches of port, tuned to 30hz. This will make you very happy, I don't listen to a lot of bass music, but when I do the output is amazing, and for my normal listening habits (metal) it's perfect for me. They blend extremely well with my front stage, and they can kick you in the pants if you need them to.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Whatever WinISD Sez :D Should be right at a cube and a half, I'll play with it after lunch, heading out nao.
Just did a quick calculation. 1.5 cubes is about right including the displacement of a 4" dia. (4.5 o.d.) x 29" long port. Add the sub displacement (2 x .08) for a total of 1.66 cubes. Net displacement per winISD of 1.237 cubes. Chad can confirm.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks guys, so it seems most would go with the dayton if ported and it seems as if its a toss up between the aura if sealed?, anyone prefer the aura?

im gonna have 300w 4 ohms available to each sub

1 - 14 of 14 Posts