DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this something where I can install it (behind panels) and forget about it? Or will it have to be installed in a location where it's easily accessible?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is this something where I can install it (behind panels) and forget about it? Or will it have to be installed in a location where it's easily accessible?

It needs to be accessible enough to plug your laptop in for tuning.

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can tuck it away and route a hidden USB cable for plugging in to your laptop, and/or get the Bluetooth dongle and adjust from smartphone.

PC is easier for more detailed setup, but the app is convenient for quick tweaks or loading presets.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
no it doesnt. get the phone app. nothing more can be done on the PC app compared to the phone app.

·
Registered
404 Posts
no it doesnt. get the phone app. nothing more can be done on the PC app compared to the phone app.
If only you knew the possibilities.

OP Please don’t listen to this advice.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Please don’t listen to this advise.
Are you crazy? I have one tucked away in the trunk and have NEVER plugged into a computer for any reason. Completely tuned by the app.
why would you tell someone not to listen to the advice of someone who has been posting and helping people for years on this forum?
from a person who has this and uses it. The Bluetooth dongle is the greatest thing. I can’t stand dragging my laptop out to adjust things on my minidsp. I have almost pulled out my mini dsp and replaced it with this unit in one of my cars.
there is nothing you can do on a computer Thant can’t be done on the app.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Are you crazy? I have one tucked away in the trunk and have NEVER plugged into a computer for any reason. Completely tuned by the app.
why would you tell someone not to listen to the advice of someone who has been posting and helping people for years on this forum?
from a person who has this and uses it. The Bluetooth dongle is the greatest thing. I can’t stand dragging my laptop out to adjust things on my minidsp. I have almost pulled out my mini dsp and replaced it with this unit in one of my cars.
there is nothing you can do on a computer Thant can’t be done on the app.
Woah man. Two people can have differing opinions on how to accomplish the same thing. My experience with the mobile app comes from doing a side by side tune in my study with a Dayton 408, Bluetooth dongle, rta, laptop, and pair of bookshelf’s I built. I specifically wanted to see how the two interfaces operated compared to one another when performing a tune. A real tune. Not just randomly moving sliders around. My experience; I would NEVER push the mobile app in comparison to the desktop app. But this is my real world opinion so no need to get all hyped up. I am curious to know how you’re making adjustments without an rta and just your phone app. Gonna need a laptop and rta unless you just wanna shoot around in the dark.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts

what are you talking about. the PC app and the Phone app are EXACTLY the same functions. I have had this DSP since it came out. had it on day one. trust me, there is no difference.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
Woah man. Two people can have differing opinions on how to accomplish the same thing. My experience with the mobile app comes from doing a side by side tune in my study with a Dayton 408, Bluetooth dongle, rta, laptop, and pair of bookshelf’s I built. I specifically wanted to see how the two interfaces operated compared to one another when performing a tune. A real tune. Not just randomly moving sliders around. My experience; I would NEVER push the mobile app in comparison to the desktop app. But this is my real world opinion so no need to get all hyped up. I am curious to know how you’re making adjustments without an rta and just your phone app. Gonna need a laptop and rta unless you just wanna shoot around in the dark.
but this has no bearing on how you change setting in the DSP. if you want to use a PC based RTA and measurement mic, go for it. this will not have any direct correlation on how you adjust the DSP. the adjustments are the same! please dont tell me that adjusting an eq band 2db with the pc app is a different 2db than the 2db you adjust in the phone app

·
Registered
17,878 Posts
Yeah, never would I suggest tuning via an app.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
but this has no bearing on how you change setting in the DSP. if you want to use a PC based RTA and measurement mic, go for it. this will not have any direct correlation on how you adjust the DSP. the adjustments are the same! please dont tell me that adjusting an eq band 2db with the pc app is a different 2db than the 2db you adjust in the phone app
You’ve missed the point entirely. It not about the adjustment, it’s about the interface and being able to properly tune your system. A Kia and Rolls will both get you to the same place using tósame gas and same roads. If I have access to both, why would I ever take the Kia. (No offense to anyone shown a Kia). But again, without a laptop and rta, I’d be curious to know how you are tuning.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

I’m not the one who wrote this. I am responding to this.

And your response is not correct as mini has pointed out. The rta and mic on the laptop do not have to be connected to the dsp to tune it. And therefor no need to make the dsp accessible to tune it.

also, using rew and inputting the eq adjustments on the Dayton is simple, as well as TA and level matching with the app.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’m not the one who wrote this. I am responding to this.

And your response is not correct as mini has pointed out. The rta and mic on the laptop do not have to be connected to the dsp to tune it. And therefor no need to make the dsp accessible to tune it.

also, using rew and inputting the eq adjustments on the Dayton is simple, as well as TA and level matching with the app.
RTA= Microphone

Never said they had to be connected. I said you need them to properly tune. Regardless if you use the app or desktop interface, the rta is independent of the Dayton. But it is a crucial tool that works in harmony with any dsp. How are you going to tune without seeing what you need to fix?

“also, using rew and inputting the eq adjustments on the Dayton is simple, as well as TA and level matching with the app”

So now your laptop is in the vehicle (since you are running REW) and you still want to use the app?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The question was asked about the dsp being tucked away somewhere and some people said you have to make it accessible to be plugged into a computer. That is flat out wrong.

yes you need an rta, rew, mic and laptop to see what’s going on in the car BUT you do not have to plug the dsp into the laptop in any way toinput the measurements into the dsp. That is what the app is for.

I took TA measurements with a tape measure and put those numbers into the dsp through the phone app

I took the eq adjustments from rew and used the app to input the frequencies and q and level for each channel

then level matched the same way.
Not one time did I ever plug the dsp into the computer.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
the Dayton dsp does not need to be connected to a laptop computer in any way to tune a car. Use the laptop to get measurements and use the app to input the data.
however, if you want to use the pc version of the software it does need to have a usb cable handy to do so.
Your choice. Either is fine but having a cord accessible is NOT required as the phone app is sufficient to make they required adjustment for TA, level match, eq each channel and setup the routing of the channels in the dsp for your system setup.

·
Registered
404 Posts
the Dayton dsp does not need to be connected to a laptop computer in any way to tune a car. Use the laptop to get measurements and use the app to input the data.
however, if you want to use the pc version of the software it does need to have a usb cable handy to do so.
Your choice. Either is fine but having a cord accessible is NOT required as the phone app is sufficient to make they required adjustment for TA, level match, eq each channel and setup the routing of the channels in the dsp for your system setup.
How do you update the dsp software without using your computer?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think that the whole point is that you generally need a laptop for any real tuning anyway, so what's the point of using the app on the small phone screen if you need the laptop to do any proper tuning anyway? :)

I came from a DSR-1, which was app-tuning-only and recently upgraded to a Helix, which is laptop-tuning-only. I must say that doing any sort of real tuning is just easier on the laptop - especially since I need the laptop to do any real system analysis anyway (which is what leads to tuning changes). Makes no sense to use two separate devices when I can do everything with one device - and do it easier - on a larger screen. What really funny is that I ended up making all of the changes to my DSR-1 via a PC and then "importing" them into the app anyway since it was way too time consuming to do a full tune via the phone app.

Sure, the app may be useful for simple changes that don't require any real "analysis", but I find that those types of changes are very rare. I almost always want to perform measurements before and after any tuning changes.

The key is to use a laptop that fits the need. I use Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro, which is less than 1/2" thick, has a touch-screen and is super light - and gives me a beautiful 13.3" HD screen. Can fold it back to make it a large tablet. Perfect tuning device. Cost me ~$250 used. Well worth it considering how much time I spend tuning (and learning to tune). :) Thankfully, the Helix was a wifi-adapter so that I don't even need a USB cable, but would use a USB cable if needed. Plenty of places to run it to and keep it hidden when not in use.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts