DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1200 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wonder why he thinks the 408 is not a decent DSP. Not even for $150. He says to save and get something better.

Oh well. I’m still going to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't seen the video about the Dayton. I'm not sure why he says to avoid it. I'll have to look for that video (if you have a link handy, that would help).

I actually bought a 408 just to play with, but haven't done anything with it yet.

He may just feel that it's worth a little extra $$ to move up to a minidsp or Helix or something. To me, the DSP is one of the most important parts of an audio system. Everything runs though it and it can really make the difference between an awesome-sounding system and an "ok" sounding system. Even though I eventually got good results from the DSR-1, I decided that I wanted to get something a little better, which is why I upgraded to a Helix DSP.3. Just like anything else, you *generally* get what you pay for... The Helix software is MUCH better than the DSR-1 software and the quality of the parts used to make the item is also vastly different.

Worst case, if you find that you don't like it, you can always upgrade later without much work.... But I'm sure it will be fine for most systems.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't seen the video about the Dayton. I'm not sure why he says to avoid it. I'll have to look for that video (if you have a link handy, that would help).

I actually bought a 408 just to play with, but haven't done anything with it yet.

He may just feel that it's worth a little extra $$ to move up to a minidsp or Helix or something. To me, the DSP is one of the most important parts of an audio system. Everything runs though it and it can really make the difference between an awesome-sounding system and an "ok" sounding system. Even though I eventually got good results from the DSR-1, I decided that I wanted to get something a little better, which is why I upgraded to a Helix DSP.3. Just like anything else, you *generally* get what you pay for... The Helix software is MUCH better than the DSR-1 software and the quality of the parts used to make the item is also vastly different.

Worst case, if you find that you don't like it, you can always upgrade later without much work.... But I'm sure it will be fine for most systems.

He didnt have too much negative things to say when it was reviewed, but as time has passed and viewers have asked about it, his opinion has become more and more negative about it. At 30:30 he talks about the 408. https://youtu.be/0d8qW-O_8uI

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah, he was pretty blunt about it in that video. :) "They suck".... He said they just don't sound as good to other DSP's that he's used. Dean is not a typical "if it cost more, it has to be better" kind of guy, so there had to be something pretty major that made him dislike it so much. Who knows though, maybe he just got one that was defective or something....

Again, while I do have one, I've never even used it at all, so I can't say either way. I just bought it because it was $70 and I couldn't resist. :)

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
I began watching the 5Star videos earlier this year. Mostly the longer stuff (live shows) and just finished the video where they went through the Audison Forza DSP amp. They have also proven a decent source (as far as YouTube sources go) for information on factory integration and basic walkthroughs on new products.

I have watched the Dayton DSP video, and Dean stated that they were warned by followers about noise issues before they ever tested it. With the controller hooked up in Fernando's car, they had noise. I think that is the sole reason Dean didn't like the Dayton DSP. He typically recommends the DSR1 as his "go to" budget DSP, but we all saw how well it went over on this site and others.

And while I do think the videos Dean and Fernando do provide value to the community, there are some aspects of the business/industry/hobby/comunity that I would not consider them experts. First, they typically have very little idea how much various items cost, including relative to competing products. Second, they really seem to know the products they carry pretty well but not the variety of products that they don't. I actually respect that Dean in particular refrains from commenting too much about product he is not familiar with and tries not to disparage anything.

Lastly, I would not consider the guys at 5Star DSP/tuning experts. They have now had their hands on a lot of different DSP products, so they do have some familiarity. At least on a demo/software level. But, if you've done tuning with DSP and have a decent understanding of how the processors and sound in a vehicle work, you'll definitely find some cringe-worthy moments in their videos. I have a feeling that Bayboy stumbled across one/some of those moments in the video he checked out.

Bottom Line: You will not find a better DSP at the price point of the Dayton DSP-408. (They don't even really exist.) If you have noise issues, remove the controller. Use the BT dongle and the app on your phone.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Most of the DSP's are built upon the same basic architecture. I know a respected source that has seen the insides of many and has verified the core parts are very similar...

If you really want to have some fun and like doing whatever you want with a DSP...pick up this little guy for $280 ...I may pick one up and see what I can do with it. I will tell you that it has whatever filter you want. Downside is it only has 2v outs.

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/eval-adau1466.html#eb-overview

and this usb adapter
https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/eval-adusb2ebz.html?doc=EVAL-ADAU1466Z-UG-1135.pdf#eb-overview

It definitely is not a super user friendly software, but it has everything in there.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Can't remember the few that I watched, don't really want to honestly. For a person that hasn't stumbled upon a few of the forums that get more into detail of various gear and tuning, yeah I can see how they're viewed as great. However, putting the Bit One, DSR1 and some other products on a pedestal without even mentioning ones far greater was a turnoff. Basically while refraining from mentioning brands they may not carry, they're also trapping onlookers into examples of what we see here.

That said, there's no way I would place the RF unit above the Dayton. Even the last RF dsp proved to be crap with worthless support. If current to this day, I would still choose the Dayton. If it still puzzles you as to my view... well I don't know what to tell you except don't use the Dayton, get the DSR1.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
986 Posts
So I think I can agree with bayboy. Don’t install that piece of crap Dayton. Sell it to one of us for $70.00. Lol

Also, I put the controller in my daughters car and no noise. Totally silent. Must be something in certain cars or installs that is causing noise issues.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can't remember the few that I watched, don't really want to honestly. For a person that hasn't stumbled upon a few of the forums that get more into detail of various gear and tuning, yeah I can see how they're viewed as great. However, putting the Bit One, DSR1 and some other products on a pedestal without even mentioning ones far greater was a turnoff. Basically while refraining from mentioning brands they may not carry, they're also trapping onlookers into examples of what we see here.

That said, there's no way I would place the RF unit above the Dayton. Even the last RF dsp proved to be crap with worthless support. If current to this day, I would still choose the Dayton. If it still puzzles you as to my view... well I don't know what to tell you except don't use the Dayton, get the DSR1.

Ah.... I didn’t realize you were using sarcasm before. Lol.

I got mine from PE for $70. I’m going to run it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, he was pretty blunt about it in that video. :) "They suck".... He said they just don't sound as good to other DSP's that he's used. Dean is not a typical "if it cost more, it has to be better" kind of guy, so there had to be something pretty major that made him dislike it so much. Who knows though, maybe he just got one that was defective or something....

Again, while I do have one, I've never even used it at all, so I can't say either way. I just bought it because it was $70 and I couldn't resist. :)

Maybe there was something wrong with the one they were testing like you said. He’s stated before that lower end DSPs don’t sound as “wide” as higher end DSPs.

He stated the 408 didn’t image well.

I too got mine for $70 from PE. I’m going to run it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I began watching the 5Star videos earlier this year. Mostly the longer stuff (live shows) and just finished the video where they went through the Audison Forza DSP amp. They have also proven a decent source (as far as YouTube sources go) for information on factory integration and basic walkthroughs on new products.

I have watched the Dayton DSP video, and Dean stated that they were warned by followers about noise issues before they ever tested it. With the controller hooked up in Fernando's car, they had noise. I think that is the sole reason Dean didn't like the Dayton DSP. He typically recommends the DSR1 as his "go to" budget DSP, but we all saw how well it went over on this site and others.

And while I do think the videos Dean and Fernando do provide value to the community, there are some aspects of the business/industry/hobby/comunity that I would not consider them experts. First, they typically have very little idea how much various items cost, including relative to competing products. Second, they really seem to know the products they carry pretty well but not the variety of products that they don't. I actually respect that Dean in particular refrains from commenting too much about product he is not familiar with and tries not to disparage anything.

Lastly, I would not consider the guys at 5Star DSP/tuning experts. They have now had their hands on a lot of different DSP products, so they do have some familiarity. At least on a demo/software level. But, if you've done tuning with DSP and have a decent understanding of how the processors and sound in a vehicle work, you'll definitely find some cringe-worthy moments in their videos. I have a feeling that Bayboy stumbled across one/some of those moments in the video he checked out.

Bottom Line: You will not find a better DSP at the price point of the Dayton DSP-408. (They don't even really exist.) If you have noise issues, remove the controller. Use the BT dongle and the app on your phone.

Thank you very much for your response.

I got mine for $70 from PE. I won’t be such a let down if it’s not up to snuff.

I didn’t bother with the controller since there were noise issues.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I question anyone and their reasonings when they say a piece of gear is supposedly responsible for imaging outside of tuning. Now perhaps their skill in tuning isn't so great or they ran out of EQ bands necessary to take whatever they installed.... that's if they actually used it.

Here's the catch with DSP, especially limited ones no matter the brand. It should be mostly used to tame the wild acoustics of the vehicle, not unruly drivers and sub par installs. This means that when you have limited bands, you must give speakers the ultimate advantage as much as possible or you're willing to give, BEFORE applying EQ so that minimal EQ is wasted on speaker corrections. Not to say they're doing a less than stellar install, but familiarity with tuning should make you go the extra mile to make sure it isn't an additional problem any DSP has to handle. All of this affects the level of effects we seek... imaging, centering, etc. So to say it didn't image as good... well you have to wonder.

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
I question anyone and their reasonings when they say a piece of gear is supposedly responsible for imaging outside of tuning...
...So to say it didn't image as good... well you have to wonder.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah, tell that to the people who sit in my daughters Camry.
All across the dash and a deep stage centered on the dash. I guess I have a unicorn Dayton dsp. To top it off I have db drive euphoria es7 components as well and they are not favored either.
The issue is that anyone can make a system with a helix sound like trash. The brand does not necessarily determine the end result. And there are budget diamonds out there.

I remember the old original earthquake amps were crazy powerful, underrated and cheap and people talked trash about them until they listened to a system blind and then all the sudden those amps were the bees knees. But, they were competing with the original
Hifonics amps and the name recognition of hifonics won the day.

“Inferior” gear can be installed and tuned to make a spectacular “budget” system that can embarrass people who spend 1000’s more. I used to be a brand whore until a friend of mine blew the socks off all of us with his “budget” system. Consisting of carver amps, Jvc head unit, Kenwood comps and 2 Pyle pro 15’s. In an s10 regular cab truck. I stopped being a brand whore from then on. Lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wait... Carver car amps were amazing ...but definitely not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dean likes the DSR1 more, just because it brings a Maestro AR with it, which makes integration in supported cars a lot easier and gives you the choice of using the amps of your choice in contrast to the standalone Maestro AR.
You just have to take a view from their point... they are dealing with lots of customers and need simpler solutions more than custom solutions i guess.
And from this point of view if you can use a DSR1 with a premade Maestro harness to get a clean signal out of a car and have a DSP at the same time that's a bonus from their point of view. The Dayton may be good in regards to a price/performance point of view, but still needs more effort in an install. It's often just not plug-n-play as the DSR1. A DSR1 just makes installation a lot easier than a standalone DSP.

At the same time Dean and Fernando also say, that there are lots of better DSPs than the DSR1 quality and feature wise, but most of them don't match the ease of integrating into lots of modern cars, especially when the customer doesn't want to pay a premium for a better DSP.
I myself use a DSR1 as integration device and as global EQ before my Mosconi D2 100.4 DSP, which handles all time alignment, channel EQ, channel levels, crossovers and stuff.
Why the DSR1? Well, i had custom made plugs at the stock amps location in my Mustang which broke after 1 1/2 year of use and with the DSR1 it was possible to get rid of all the custom stuff and turn everything back to stock wiring. In addition the Mosconi amps are not AR compatible. None of the things available in Europe are, tbh. You cannot even get the AR-integration data cable for the Audison amps in Europe, you have to get them from the USA to use a Maestro AR in a US car in Europe. So the DSR1 just plugs in and works without too much trouble (at least in my car). Support from Idatalink is top notch, but i'm also glad i didn't need any support from Rockford Fosgate up to this point.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
No need to write all of that because my mind is still not changed. The simple fact IS apples are being compared to oranges and because one is sold by, its given the thumbs up and the other put down with the evil eye put upon it. Plus, the Dayton was not designed for complex integration. That would drive cost up. Just stop it.

On the other hand, perhaps I've become a bit harsh over the years in my judgement of shops & dealers. I get their point but it's like they just can't help but to overly praise & push what they sell regardless. Maybe being a DIY-er has spoiled me over the 29 years to expect something different. But I digress... have fun kiddos.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, 5 Star praises the VXi amps from JL and also their DSPs, although they don't sell them.
Liking or disliking something always is some kind of a personal choice. If they like the DSR1 more for their integration tasks than the Dayton? Well, so be it.
You like the Dayton? Great, use it and be happy. And after all, that's what they also say almost everytime in their shows. You like something they don't like? Great, go ahead and use it and be happy. Cause being happy is what it's all about, right?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the Bluetooth dongle and the wired controller and no noise. I also think the controller is kinda redundant with the phone app. Sure, I guess it is a lot faster to just pick up the controller and choose a preset but I do not change the master volume anyway and I have one preset named RAWK and keep it there and just update it when/if I change a setting on the phone app. Also, it is not a 'bass knob' it is a master volume knob. It changes the volume of the entire system with that 1 knob.
I have been watching 5 Star Car Stereo on youtube for about 3 months. Dean is a control freak and very OCD and hasn't really used the DSP-408. All he has ever said is it doesn't sound as good as any other DSP. He really only recommends the most expensive car audio gear like Audison, Hertz, etc or whatever that shop sells. I like that he also uses and recommends Audiocontrol tho. I think it is a very good company.

Now this - Is it OK to mix in 2 input channels 100% each to 1 output ? For example - both left channel high level inputs to the left channel outputs, both right channel high level inputs to the right channel outputs, etc ? Asking for a friend ...

1141 - 1160 of 1200 Posts