DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1209 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's a bit early so maybe im reading your question wrong, but any reason you want to do that?

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
IDK, just was thinkin there might be data on rear speaker wires I was missing with only front speaker wire as inputs but I tried combining them and it increased the gain and sounded worse so I went back to normal lol Everything sounds great now that I sorted the time delay and crossovers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like Parts Express has the DSP-408 on sale for $125 until Friday.

I'm strongly thinking about picking this up. I've been playing with car audio for about 25 years and never played with a DSP. I think the time is now. I do have professional experience with automotive electronics and industrial PLC programming so it should be fun to play with.😁

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Looks like Parts Express has the DSP-408 on sale for $125 until Friday.

I'm strongly thinking about picking this up. I've been playing with car audio for about 25 years and never played with a DSP. I think the time is now. I do have professional experience with automotive electronics and industrial PLC programming so it should be fun to play with.😁
Also keep an eye on the restocked / refurbished section on Parts Express. Every so often they pop up for about $70 in there.

https://www.parts-express.com/restocked-dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--88-230-500

Also, follow this thread on DIYMA in case someone catches them available and posts up.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/dayton-refurb-dsp-408.421895/

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
had mine since they came out. no compaints. the Apt-X BT works flawless, the RCA or speaker level inputs work nicely. the setup is easy and pretty intuitive. there are some advanced features they dont offer like rear fill, pre-EQ, digital inputs or balanced inputs. but if that isnt a deal breaker, then its a majorly good item for $150

·
Registered
63 Posts
had mine since they came out. no compaints. the Apt-X BT works flawless, the RCA or speaker level inputs work nicely. the setup is easy and pretty intuitive. there are some advanced features they dont offer like rear fill, pre-EQ, digital inputs or balanced inputs. but if that isnt a deal breaker, then its a majorly good item for $150
What’s pre-eq?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
What’s pre-eq?

ability to add EQ at the input before any processing. people that are trying to EQ out factory EQ curves find this useful.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can you elaborate on the APT-x BT. Is this the Bluetooth module? Can an I phone use APT-x with the Apple Music app? Is Apt-x a good connection?

Is this a better connection than 2.1 Bluetooth that my Clarion head unit has?

I have a 408 with the Bluetooth module that I hope I will we be able to install next week during some time off.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
The drastic difference between about 80hz and 100hz suggests that your subs are much louder than the midbass, and they are not blending well at the crossover point. It's really hard to get good subbass and midbass unless that transition is smooth. Yes, you want the bass to be several dB's higher, but not at the crossover point, you want the frequencies around the crossover point to be be smooth. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ya, it makes sense. My subs are bandpassed at 40-80 -24db LR. Front door 3 way passive is HP at 100 -24db LR. It sounds real good. Subs sound like they are just in front of the fold-down console (F150). Imaging is good. Stereo separation is good. Mids are at corners of dash directly under apillar tweets. I am using a DSP with PEQ. Shows the low end of the midbass meeting the high end of the subs on the graph. Reason the subs are HP @ 40 is they are 2 10" Pioneer flat subs in .35 cf sealed boxes, amped with a mono 500w @ 2 ohms. Very musical.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes I have 2 of those under the rear seat, each side, downfiring. They sound great. 1 is about 6 years old and was in my Ranger at only 150w. The fs those subs are around 37 hz so ?

·
Registered
519 Posts
The box itself being sealed protects them. I never HP my sealed subs and if you google you will find most do not due to the natural protection that a sealed box provides. Ported sure, HP them.

Also, if you really want to keep a HP on them, at least drop it down to 20hz @ 24db/octave

I have that same sub in my wife's SUV. I have about 400w rms going to it without a highpass and it never once seems to be struggling or reaching x-mech.

Here is a good thread on it

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Those are high Q subs and the small enclosure really locks down excursion. I've attached a couple of images. The first is the excursion comparison with (yellow) and without (red) the subsonic filter. Second is a simulated frequency response with an approximation of cabin gain. Both have the 80Hz LR4 low pass filter and the same 500W of power applied.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks. Part of the reason I want a subsonic filter is because they are downfiring and I don't want them hitting the floor.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm not saying they do hit the floor. Maybe there is no chance. I hope not. Wow a 1/4" ! Hard to believe that is all they move and sound so great !

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
With the limited excursion on those Pioneer subwoofers, there is no way you'll hit the floor of your cabin. The subs would likely self destruct (bottoming out internally) long before they hit the floor.

1161 - 1180 of 1209 Posts