DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1181 - 1191 of 1191 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not saying they do hit the floor. Maybe there is no chance. I hope not. Wow a 1/4" ! Hard to believe that is all they move and sound so great !
Yup, a high shallow excursion is around 15mm. The TW3 is around 15mm and the SI BM MK's are around 15mm.

A high sub excursion in general is around high 20mm's. A JL w6 only has 19mm, the w7 has 29mm. The GB12D4 has 19mm. The SI SQL 12 and RM 12 both have around 29mm.

Also I did this with a single 10" TW3 sub in my truck (14 F150) testing out different locations and upfiring vs. downfiring. Downfiring on the passenger side was the best results. Second best was downfiring in the center seat area. Worst was upfiring and drivers side (the big dips)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think it says alot about Pioneer and their engineers.
I also had JCS model some shallows over on the better site: The pioneer is definitely a great budget pick, but it can't keep up with the better subs.

·
Premium Member
8,871 Posts
This will be my last OT post on the subject, but the Pioneer is actually one of the last shallow mounts I would choose for a small sealed enclosure. The best thing about the Pioneer TS-SW is the price. Beyond that, it doesn't have a lot of redeeming value compared to other shallow mounts, in my opninion.

I understand that there are some people who like them, but I have to wonder how many other shallow mount subwoofers they have heard? Or if they have the same goals as most of the people around here with a focus on SQ vs punchy upper bass. I've modeled a ton in looking for options for my own vehicle as well as some for my brother. Alternates I would consider in order of ascending price...

Cadence SLW10
Dayton LS10
Kicker 43CWRT10
Pioneer TS-Z10LS
Oncore SM10

·
Registered
296 Posts
My system is totally SQ and has 2 of them. I have heard several different shallow mounts in small sealed enclosures and I think these are close to the best for relatively low power, 300 watts RMS, and SQ.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can one one point me to the right capacitors to buy to protect my tweeters against the possibility of turn-off pop? A link to something at partsexpress would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can one one point me to the right capacitors to buy to protect my tweeters against the possibility of turn-off pop? A link to something at partsexpress would be much appreciated.
I believe you want to pick a frequency at or below your tweeters Fs.

·
Registered
516 Posts

You want a capacitor around 700-800hz.
A 47uf or 68uf cap are the normal ones to use as they give a 800hz or 600hz respectively for a 6db/oct cutoff on a 4ohm speaker. I went 47uf.
You don't want it too close to your dsp crossover cutoff otherwise it will impact that performance, but 600hz is plenty of protection for stupid on your tweeters for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You want a capacitor around 700-800hz.
A 47uf or 68uf cap are the normal ones to use as they give a 800hz or 600hz respectively for a 6db/oct cutoff on a 4ohm speaker. I went 47uf.
You don't want it too close to your dsp crossover cutoff otherwise it will impact that performance, but 600hz is plenty of protection for stupid on your tweeters for a couple of seconds.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1181 - 1191 of 1191 Posts