DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my sub box for my Avalanche. I was about to order a couple HO's when I got confused on sealed box size. I have .8 cuft per side. The guys at partsexpress said the HO takes a .25cuft. box , while the HF takes .8 cu.ft.(He wasn't too confident though). This is contrary to some of the expert opinions on some of these forums. I just wanted to make sure I buy the correct driver. I have 450w/driver (900 total at 2 ohm). I have just 5.5" mounting depth (the Daytons are 5" mounting depth). I can probably add 1/4" - 1/2" spacer if needed. I know the HO is set for higher power, small box applications. I thought .8 cuft. was small. Any thoughts you might share before I order tomorrow would be helpful. If there are any other subs that might work better I'm all ears. Thanks. Very helpful forum btw.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For a .707 QTC allignment, the HF requires .92 cu ft where as the HO only requires .33 cu ft.

I personally would go with the HF. With the .8 cu ft enclosure you have and sub displacement, you will still have a QTC allignment in the high ~.7 range.

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FaintReality said:
For a .707 QTC allignment, the HF requires .92 cu ft where as the HO only requires .33 cu ft.

I personally would go with the HF. With the .8 cu ft enclosure you have and sub displacement, you will still have a QTC allignment in the high ~.7 range.

Dave
Not sure what all that means but if the HF is the better fit I should go that direction. Do you think the 450w/channel is too much or not. I don't get crazy but want good clean bass and musical low end.

·
Registered
230 Posts
pilk said:
Not sure what all that means but if the HF is the better fit I should go that direction. Do you think the 450w/channel is too much or not. I don't get crazy but want good clean bass and musical low end.

A QTC allignment of .707 will give you the lowest F3 (-3db point), the flattest frequency response, more efficient, and have better transient response.

As for power, you will probably be fine being that your drivers will probably only see a true 450w on musical peaks, but just be careful.

Have you considered the TC2+ drivers from oaudio.com?

dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FaintReality said:
A QTC allignment of .707 will give you the lowest F3 (-3db point), the flattest frequency response, more efficient, and have better transient response.

As for power, you will probably be fine being that your drivers will probably only see a true 450w on musical peaks, but just be careful.

Have you considered the TC2+ drivers from oaudio.com?

dave
I can only afford 5" mounting depth max...when I checked on the TC2+ I didn't see the mounting depth listed. Do you know what it is? Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FaintReality said:
Its 5.48" so scratch that driver off the list :(
Thanks for your help. I am going to double check with partsexpress tomorrow and if they confirm that the HF is a better fit on that box then I'm going to give them a try. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts