DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to keep this short and simple.
Dayton ho or obsidian audio 12s

I'm going to run a single sub
Sealed , possibly ported later down the road
Right under 800 rms at 2ohms
The car is a Mazda 3 sedan, so small vehicle
Large music variety

As far as I have found these are some of the best subs you can get for under 150 shipped.

Here's what I know... Or at least think I know

DAYTON

Smaller box requirements
Great sound quality
5 year warranty
Can handle the power

Some find output to be lacking. ( this is clearly opinionated, but I don't know)

OA ( I found much less on this sub than the Dayton)

I have heard this sub gets low and very nasty ported, but what about sealed ?
I'm worried about the power I would be running with this sub. Could it handle 800 rms daily.

How would these two compare?
I'm not asking which is better , more like pros and cons.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you're more into "Sound quality" rather then output, the Dayton seems to be the right choice from what i've read. haven't looked into the other woofer though.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I haven't heard much at all about Obsidian. A problem I see right off the bat is it's dual 2 ohms, so your amp will have to play at 1 or 4 ohms.

I'd go with the Dayton.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't heard much at all about Obsidian. A problem I see right off the bat is it's dual 2 ohms, so your amp will have to play at 1 or 4 ohms.

I'd go with the Dayton.
The obsidian is offered dual 4 ohm as well.

Anyone know anything about them?

Dayton seems to be a solid choice but I'm wondering what kind of output I'll get sealed at 800 watts. Not really trying to go ported but I might eventually.
I guess I couldn't go wrong then if I wasn't satisfied with output sealed I know ported would be more than enough.

Just want to hear about OA before I make any decisions

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't believe that Obsidian makes very SQ-y subs. I believe they were founded by the same guy as Sundown (or a partner of his) and are much more SPL oriented.
Not a bad thing, just what they are. That being said, the dayton seems to be the way to go for SQ

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll chime in on the Dayton, because I had one inside my Mazda3 sedan.

I had it in the trunk, powered by an MRP-M500 ([email protected]) in a 1cuft net sealed box.

The sound was amazing. The output was very, very lacking. I always wondered how two sounded with twice the power, but I never had the money to do it.

I bought an Alpine PDX1.1000 and it was like night and day. Suddenly the same clean sound but with a lot more bump to it when I wanted.

It still had me wondering how two @ 500 RMS each would've sounded... I always liked overhead.

The bass was transparent and clean, precise and very musical.

In this car, with the right box and power the HO 12 sounds amazing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll chime in on the Dayton, because I had one inside my Mazda3 sedan.

I had it in the trunk, powered by an MRP-M500 ([email protected]) in a 1cuft net sealed box.

The sound was amazing. The output was very, very lacking. I always wondered how two sounded with twice the power, but I never had the money to do it.

I bought an Alpine PDX1.1000 and it was like night and day. Suddenly the same clean sound but with a lot more bump to it when I wanted.

It still had me wondering how two @ 500 RMS each would've sounded... I always liked overhead.

The bass was transparent and clean, precise and very musical.

In this car, with the right box and power the HO 12 sounds amazing.
I'm about to install one Dayton HO 10 in to my 11 Subaru wrx in a sealed box and run it off a JL 900/5 (500x1 @ 4 ohm) and was wondering how you think it will sound off just 500 watts? I'm wondering if that will be enough power for it to have some decient spl output for what it is capable of.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
if your going dayton HO, best bet is to port it, or go with the 15" in 1.7 sealed for output. the 10 only needs .6 ported, 12 wants like 1 cube or so. very small boxes for great output.

@eeclipes16 if your going with the 10 and want sealed, get the HF and put it in 1 cube, the HF is designed for sealed boxes and have very nice output, but they require bigger boxes than most subs. 10 is about the only size to put in a car sealed. the 12 wants like 2.5 sealed or something crazy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts