DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share with you guys my current project...
I only have pics of the 1st phase which is the trunk & after a few speed bumps (bad amps & selling the Infinity subs) here is the final pics of the Trunk...

The will be a cover for the processors & changer the will double as a spare tire support, but I have not finished that yet... but will add the pics when I do...

The real reason to show off the install is because of the 12" Reference HF subs hanging off the rear deck.

The car will also feature the RS28 tweets, RS125 mids & DC200 midbass...

Yup all Dayton love... I will enter it in comps to see how it does with the local strong DLS cars I have set as my targets ;)

Phase 2 will include pics of the interior...

many thanks to Leo (300z) for the glassing help & direction he has provided in the fabrication process...

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/racerraul/sc2.htm

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Well how bout some impressions on how it sounds? I've looked into the Dayon Ref 7" myself but not convinced the SQ is top notch yet.

BTW looks awesome bud, very clean. How did you fab up your IB supports on your rear deck?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have some soon...

Leo has the Dayton RS180 with RS28 tweets... That is the combo that made me change the setup in both of my Vehicles...

Thanks for the comps... There is an MDF baffle the speakers are attached to... the baffle was deadened & sprayed with undercoating with sounddeadener. The baffle is screwed to the rear deck after the holes where cut on the metal. Then the leaks were sealed with expanding foam, egg crate foam, deadening & undercoating with sound deadener...

Sound like a PITA... it was... box building is much easier if you ask me...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
newtitan said:
wow that looks cool, I dont have a car, but if I did I like that setup as it seems you can still use your trunk vs the "refrigerator" in the trunk look

which version dayton's did you get?
Thanks for the complements...
Let me see what I can do about letting you in on the secret of my driver selection.

racerraul said:
The real reason to show off the install is because of the 12" Reference HF subs hanging off the rear deck.

The car will also feature the RS28 tweets, RS125 mids & DC200 midbass...

Yup all Dayton love...
Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone ;)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DearS said:
so the subs, do they sound as loud as sealed and SQ? hows the power handling?
I couldn't begin to tell you how they compared to a sealed setup because I have not tried it... power handling can be assumed to be less than rated in an IB setup...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The install isn't complete... but the little time I have spent making sure they are functional I have found no ill to write about...

Output is good so far... But I would like to have the frontstage done before I comment on how they complement the rest of the system.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I slapped some Helix Coax I had laying around to the radio, HP them @ 80hz 12db & low passed the subs @ 80hz 12db...

The gains are not optimally set, I'm trying to get some 1st impressions on the subs & I must say I am very pleased.

Output is not a problem. I can tell having the subs in the rear deck is a huge advantage over trunk boxes when it comes to blending the midbass with the subs. I was able to get the subs to blend with the cheap Coax without much effort... And the subs have great impact...

More to come...

·
Registered
96 Posts
LOVE IT!! This is alot like the setup I would like to acheive when I do mine. I was planning on using two or three eights but after seeing your pics I may go bigger now. My main issue is the torsion spings under the deck that you got rid of by using the shock setup. Care to say how you like the shock setup? Does it move freely and the trunk raise up easily with complete extension? How much were the parts? I want to go IB for sound quality and space considerations as well. (I think it looks cool as well, if done properly). Very clean install, pretty much what I envision mine looking like, great job. Now, how about some pics from the inside! Can't be much room in that rear deck!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll have pics of the interior when its done & clean,,, right now it is a mess from all the work going on in it.

Also the trunk lid opens all the way... the support lifts offer much better control when you swing the lid open, but it requires a bit more effort to open & close the trunk lid... I think the support lift were around $20 each from Advance Auto parts & they came with all the mounting hardware...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well you have done a real nice job so far, can't wait to see the inside. I think you have inspired me to do away with the torsion bars as well. Maybe I can do a little reseaching and find someone that has done one to a 95 civic and use their idea. I like how you did yours though and might just experiment a little. My install will probably take over a year or so (not that it will be elaborate, my funds get soaked up by the family pretty quick), so I have plenty of time to figure this all out. One thing I am pretty sure about is IB with the subs though.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At 1st I was thinking of putting the baffle behind the seats to not have to cut into the rear Deck... so that is another option...

Thanks for the comps... it has been a lot more work than I anticipated to take care of all the leaks into the cabin...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Where were some of your trouble areas? I will be building an MDF baffle and mounting in the rear deck so I can address a good portion of the leaks in the rear deck area when installing it. Did you have any problems around the seat areas? Do your seats fold down? I'm sure there will be very small leaks that just can't be prevented because of working in a car. I wan't to keep everything functional as well, folding seats, etc. (Have to be able to haul some ski's around pretty soon!)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This weekend I was able to do a bit more listening & tuning in an effort to find the right angle to aim my kicks...

The Dayton RS125 are xOver @ 200hz 18db... I may try a lower xOver point but that seems very good at this point. I xOver the subs @ 150hz 12db since my midbass are not in yet...

The Reference 12 HF is an accurate, lean & mean midbass machine... It plays the midbass as well as it plays sub frequencies. The initial impact has authority... it commands attention & it gets your attention... I could have easily done without the 8" midbass I plan on putting on the doors. I honestly think that you could have it play a bit higher with eaze.

I am extremely happy with it so far... when I am done I plan on posting a more thorough review on how they perform with the finished project...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.