DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got the 7" reference today. figured id give my thoughts on them as I'm sure many other bought them when they went on sale.

anyway... First thing I noticed on these is that they are pretty big but thats prolly because of the sheilding. Next I noticed that these are some well built speakers, pretty heavy for a 7" but also not too heavy. it seems to be heavy because of the beastly frame they put this speaker together with.

the only thing I could compare these things to were my old setup which had peerless 5.5" csx. which I loved because for 5.5" they threw out HEAVY bass, but also were a bit dull (they were midbass drivers). (i like my drivers on the warm side)

too bad I couldnt review these things seeing as i dont have an amp or a decent headunit. but i tried them out on my jvc home receiver full range.

By the way these were mounted into the back of the boxes they arrived in :) I couldn't wait!

at first these speakers kinda sounded "funny" and almost distorted when guitar riffs were played but after about 10 minutes of play it seemed to disapear. so what can I say about these drivers? details details details... i never owned a midrange/bass that had tremendous detail, it was always in the tweeter. I can see why people like this driver, it's very transparent (almost hard to tell there is a speaker near you)

so far i really like what dayton came up with... im more then pleased. :D

now im just stuck as to what tweeter to go with. im afraid of the metal dome dayton because i hate metal tweeters even though people say they dont sound like metal. hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
261 Posts
From what I've seen on the XT-19, it really doesn't seem to like going below 2.5 or 3khz dispite it's impressive Fs and frequency response. I guess that due to it's fixed center, the radiating area is pretty excursion limited. I believe that Zaph also reported a fairly high amount of distortion (can't remember if it's even or odd) below 2.5k.

I've got a pair that I bought from Zaph that I'm pairing with a set of Silver Flute 5" woofers with an LR4 acoustic slope at 2.5k. Hopefully this will help me decide how good this tweeter is down low. If I don't like it with this setup, I'm sure it'll only get worse if I try to push it down to 2k to better integrate with the Dayton 7".

I just bought a pair of 27TDFCs to use in an MTM with a pair of Dayton 7" woofers. I've heard this tweeter before, and I am very much impressed with it. This tweeter should fare much better at lower crossover frequencies.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last night i purchased the dayton rs28.

im too curious as to how this thing must sound, I have to try it.

besides npdang seems to think the dayton reference lineup fairs pretty well with many high dollars drivers such as seas and thats good enough for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.