DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got the 7" reference today. figured id give my thoughts on them as I'm sure many other bought them when they went on sale.

anyway... First thing I noticed on these is that they are pretty big but thats prolly because of the sheilding. Next I noticed that these are some well built speakers, pretty heavy for a 7" but also not too heavy. it seems to be heavy because of the beastly frame they put this speaker together with.

the only thing I could compare these things to were my old setup which had peerless 5.5" csx. which I loved because for 5.5" they threw out HEAVY bass, but also were a bit dull (they were midbass drivers). (i like my drivers on the warm side)

too bad I couldnt review these things seeing as i dont have an amp or a decent headunit. but i tried them out on my jvc home receiver full range.

By the way these were mounted into the back of the boxes they arrived in :) I couldn't wait!

at first these speakers kinda sounded "funny" and almost distorted when guitar riffs were played but after about 10 minutes of play it seemed to disapear. so what can I say about these drivers? details details details... i never owned a midrange/bass that had tremendous detail, it was always in the tweeter. I can see why people like this driver, it's very transparent (almost hard to tell there is a speaker near you)

so far i really like what dayton came up with... im more then pleased. :D

now im just stuck as to what tweeter to go with. im afraid of the metal dome dayton because i hate metal tweeters even though people say they dont sound like metal. hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just don't drop them, the cast frame has it's limits. :( It stayed together enough that I can use it for test fitting though.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The 27TDFC is extremely laid back. The RS28A has more impact and has that nice transparentness Dayton feel to it. It blends better with the RS mids better then the 27TDFC does IMO.

-aaron

·
Registered
258 Posts
From what I've seen on the XT-19, it really doesn't seem to like going below 2.5 or 3khz dispite it's impressive Fs and frequency response. I guess that due to it's fixed center, the radiating area is pretty excursion limited. I believe that Zaph also reported a fairly high amount of distortion (can't remember if it's even or odd) below 2.5k.

I've got a pair that I bought from Zaph that I'm pairing with a set of Silver Flute 5" woofers with an LR4 acoustic slope at 2.5k. Hopefully this will help me decide how good this tweeter is down low. If I don't like it with this setup, I'm sure it'll only get worse if I try to push it down to 2k to better integrate with the Dayton 7".

I just bought a pair of 27TDFCs to use in an MTM with a pair of Dayton 7" woofers. I've heard this tweeter before, and I am very much impressed with it. This tweeter should fare much better at lower crossover frequencies.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
last night i purchased the dayton rs28.

im too curious as to how this thing must sound, I have to try it.

besides npdang seems to think the dayton reference lineup fairs pretty well with many high dollars drivers such as seas and thats good enough for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts