DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I debucked some 125's last night. I don't see how it could get much easier. The only issue I had was that one of the magnets sheered where the glue was. It left a sliver of magnet, similar to what is seen in the "sticker" pic above. But after a few hits with the chisel, it was gone as well. Thx for the pics! :)

· Registered
1,162 Posts
lol, I just came here to post the exact same thing. I just use 3-4 firm hits with a ball pein hammer. And just so people realize, the cup stays on due to the magnet, so don't keep hammering away expecting it to pop off.

Also, I've had a lot more success getting the magnet to pop by having the speaker on an approx 60 degree angle, and the chisle verticle. I also have someone else hold the speaker while I hammer the chisle.

And wear safety glasses. The magnets like to sheer, and due to the magnetic forces the shrapnel flies off in funky directions. I had a friend holding the 8" and half the magnet sheered and flew UP into his forehead. It's very sharp, and gave him a pretty good cut.

Edit:
Be sure to support the driver by the back plate. If the lip on the frame, or the magnet, is taking the load you have a much higher chance of shifting the assembly.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I've debucked all of them. The 7" is the only one to give me issues. The rest went easily. I've debucked 11 of the 7" now, and had 3 failures. All of those that failed had a lot of excess glue holding the bucking magnet on. Now I just cut off the excess and havn't had any issues.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
I know in paint applications the fumes can be very harmful, but I don't know about adhesive applications. The fumes can be dealt with though. For a minute I was thinking something fancy like a physical barrier, for example cutting a hole in the bottom of a bucket and slipping the bucking magnet through the hole, but IIRC the bucking magnet on the rs125 has a larger diameter than the backing plate.

The more traditional method would be to use a small fan, or maybe even something like a shopvac, and just suck the fumes away. Just be sure to get a good airflow over the surface of the dissolver. You can easily check this with the smoke of a cigarette/cigar. Just don't get any kind of flame close to the dissolver as the majority are very flammable. The pole of the RS drivers isn't vented. You may get a small amount of vapor through the joints but I don't think it is enough to worry about.

The only problem I see with this is that you will have to be very careful with the depth of the dissolver. I think the thickness of the backplate on the rs125 is about an 1/8". Maybe if you had a thin rubber sheet(anything stretchable and non-pourous) that you could cut a small hole in and stretch over the bucking magnet to help seal it off?

Edit:
Jeff, YGM.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
The bucking magnet is glued to the plate, and the shielding cup is glued to the bucking magnet. So a very very shallow pool is all that you would to work at the cup glue joint, but you would get a bit of vapor behind the cup.

Very little of the force from hammering at the cup sees the speaker. I have yet to damage one from removing the cup. The damage always comes from removing the bucking magnet, and I've only had that issue with the rs180's. And to be honest, I only had one shifted assembly. The other 2 I dropped when they were being hammered and the baskets broke. :blush:

Edit:
I resent the email to the address you listed above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.