DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a pair, very detailed, open sounding. Be careful if you have them in your a-pillars as I did, the hot Vegas sun melted the plastic top plate of the speaker. All in all, nice.
I wish I could compare them to the LCY's though. I do have to say, they were a night and day difference from my friend's Dynaudio MD100's

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
why not buy a pair and send em to npdang for the cummunity :)

or just try em out and write a review

these new B&G's have caught my attention

September 9, 2005
THE RIBBON REDEFINED BY BG
Neo-10 Planar Ribbon Driver Delivers Unprecedented Performance

CEDIA Expo, Indianapolis, IN September 9, 2005- BG, the world leader in planar ribbon loudspeaker technology, today introduced the Neo10, an exciting new driver that represents a breakthrough in loudspeaker technology. The company’s new wideband driver offers significantly higher sensitivity and power handling with lower distortion than was ever thought possible from ribbon technology. The Neo10 is also featured in BG’s new Radia R-800 in-wall which the company describes as the world’s finest architectural loudspeaker. The R-800 system has an MSRP of $9999.

The Neo10 is a patent pending 10” X 5” planar magnetic ribbon driver based on BG’s proprietary technology. It is considerably larger than BG’s other Neo drivers and uses larger neodymium magnets as well. As a result, its operating frequency range is extended down to as low as 150Hz allowing it to handle more of the lower midrange frequencies. This extended range also provides BG designers more freedom in crossover design and optimal integration with a system’s low frequency section.

Igor Levitsky, VP of Engineering at BG Corp. described the innovation this way, “In designing planar ribbon drivers, it has always been difficult to reproduce lower midrange information at higher levels without inducing noise and distortion. The increased size of the Neo10 diaphragm means it moves a larger amount of air, keeping diaphragm excursion relatively low. Controlled excursion directly translates into lower distortion and higher sensitivity which are key factors for clarity and resolution. Going back and hearing familiar recordings with the Neo10 will create an experience for the listener that is nothing short of magic.”

Ribbon drivers have long been a favorite of audiophiles and music lovers for their amazing clarity and detail. Throughout the years, the term Planar, implying flat and two-sided, has been widely used to describe a variety of diverse, dipolar loudspeaker designs, including electrostatics from famous brands such as QUAD, MartinLogan and Infinity. Planar speakers have been heralded for decades for their amazing detail, lifelike imaging, low distortion and faithful reproduction. However many early industry designs were hampered by low efficiency, modest output, limited frequency range and sometimes poor reliability.

In the early 1990’s, Bohlender-Graebener developed a unique and patented design for the planar magnetic ribbon driver-- one that with modern manufacturing techniques would yield all the finest sonic attributes of a ribbon yet with much greater efficiency, output and reliability. With painstaking refinements in both materials and manufacturing, the BG ribbons ultimately became comparable in efficiency, power handling and reliability to conventional dynamic/moving coil speaker technology.

BG, founded in June, 1994, initially employed their proprietary ribbon technology in freestanding audiophile loudspeakers and received critical acclaim throughout the world. Predictably demand for the drivers came from other loudspeaker companies resulting in a strong OEM presence for the company. This was followed by professional applications such as boardrooms, museums, theaters and houses of worship where BG products marketed under the brand name Radia Pro are prized for their superior intelligibility, controlled dispersion characteristics and reliability.

Key Features of the Neo10 Planar Ribbon:

* Significantly higher sensitivity- 93dB/1W/1m
* Extraordinary power handling and output- up to 120dB in R-800
* Lower operating frequency range- down to 150Hz
* Incredible linearity with lower distortion
* Unprecedented performance from a ribbon driver of any kind

About BG Corp
BG Corporation is an innovative designer and manufacturer of high performance loudspeakers for the audio, home theater, custom and commercial installation markets. BG utilizes its patented planar ribbon technology to produce the finest quality loudspeakers for an array of critical professional and residential applications.

Founded in June 1994, the company now based in Carson City, Nevada, markets its unique products throughout the world under the BG, Radia and Radia Pro brand names as well as on an OEM basis.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
newtitan said:
why not buy a pair and send em to npdang for the community :)
I've got a pair that I bought on a whim a year or so ago. I didn't do a lot of tweaking since I couldn't get them to fit in my truck but when I get back (2 weeks!) and if he is interested, I'll send one up to npdang to test..

They are a lot bigger than they look in the picture. The plastic face is quite cheap-looking and the "ribbon" is a very ugly yellow. Also, the shape is really bad for mounting in a car as they are just a little too deep to flush-mount in any place I could find; I was trying to use them in my 99 ford ranger and just couldn't make them fit. Granted they are less than an inch deep, but almost 3 inches across at that depth and the cutout would have needed to be fairly significant.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
newtitan said:
why not buy a pair and send em to npdang for the cummunity :)

or just try em out and write a review

these new B&G's have caught my attention

Snip.....
A pro audio company used these in a curvilinear array of sorts... I can't remember their name and if they still exist, ithey caught my eye then. I'll go hunting!

Chad

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I went through the planar phase back when Raven was the only readily available ribbon and it was pretty expensive. I wasn't impressed... the BG's, hi-vi's, daytons... they just don't sound even close.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I installed and tested BG neo 3's and neo 8's in some of our lower end speakers back when I worked at Martin Logan. If nothing else I can say they were fairly consistent and very few were not within tolerance's. Im talking boxes stacked to the ceiling with 20 to 40 in a box. A tribute to there simple design I guess. I was never very impressed with there sound though. Maybe listening in a factory with alot of backround noise just didn't do them justice though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.