DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i need some help knowing how much power should be sending these mids and tweets. i know what the manufacturer's say but i know you guys have a better grasp of what these can handle. i'll be getting amps based on the power ratings so don't worry about that aspect. i just need to know their power handling capabilities. after some searching i'm thinking of using a zapco 750.2 (175x2 @ 4ohm) on the 8 ohm dayton mids and a zapco 350.2 (100x2 @ 4ohm) on the 6ohm seas tweets. what do y'all think? since i'm pretty new to actives. thanks guys.

Dave

·
Registered
250 Posts
Who said that? Me thinks it's the other way around. It takes more energy to reproduce lower frequency than higher frequency, unless there is something I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have ~150-180w going to each of mine RS180 and i never got to strain them... even playing full range at very loud levels... but i usually high pass them at 40hz 12db/oct

for the tweeters a 25w/ch amp would be more than enough power...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
cotdt said:
i've heard people say that that tweeter eats up more power than a subwoofer at peak.
wrong info... a tweeter needs very little power even compared to a mid...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm running RS225's and 27DTFC's right now off a 4 channel Xtant rated 4 x [email protected] (underrated). This is just plenty for the tweets. The mids want a little more then [email protected] - but I am running them down to 33Hz so consider that. When I had them running off the Xtant bridged (200W @4ohms so 100W a piece @8) I was unable to ever get them to distort from lack of power and full volume.

I'd recommend anything on the tweets, and a 2 x [email protected] for the mids.

-aaron

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so 150-180w @ 8ohm for the mids would be good? even though they are rated at 60w rms and 90w max. and 25-50w @ 6ohm would be good for the tweets? even though they are rated at 90w rms and 220w max. please dont jump on me for sounding naive or anything. i'm just trying to get a full understanding of how much power i'm needing. thanks for your patience.

Dave

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As was just giving an idea of how much power the mids can handle, but in all reality 100-150w should be more than enough... and for the tweeters yes 25w is plenty...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts