DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I will say hi and I’m really glad to be here. I spent about 5-6 hours reading through the site early this morning and I must say I have been truly enlightened. I must say this is one of the most informative sites for raw driver performance for mobile audio. I must say great job to all who contribute their time and knowledge. I only hope I can do the same.

I started reading the site because I’m in search of a very musical midbass with great detail and impact. Cost is not too important, but I don’t want to spend a ton of money if I don’t have to, and from reading through all the forums for all of 13 hours. One driver or should I say one line persistently stood out for the range I’m planning on using it for ( somewhere between 40-400 Hz running IB/Free Air). That line of midbasses is the Dayton Reference line. I have tested the DLS IR8 which is not a bad speaker, but it is slow and not very detailed in the upper midbass range, but has outstanding impact. I have used the IR6 which is a lot better up to around 250 or so and has some very nice impact for a 6.5 driver, but I’m still looking for a little more. I am awaiting the New DLS line of midbass drivers, but all of the first run of them where issued to team DLS for the Finals. I am a member of team DLS US, but my car will not be ready until SBN 2006 so I have to wait a little while. I’m really not a patient guy when it comes down to getting what I want for my system.

Ok, now for a little help from you guys. I think I have read every post about the RS line I could have. I remember reading someone asking about if you remove the cap and the bucking magnet does it hurt or improve the performance of the drive. I don’t really remember a complete answer or maybe I missed it, if so I’m sorry for asking again. The reason I ask, is if the only benefit of removing these parts from the RS225 is to reduce the mounting depth of the driver I will not have this problem, being that they are going in the kicks vented to the outside of the car/into the frame. Just to note the IR3 will also be in the kicks along with the RS225.

Now what has really caught my eye is the RS270 10” midbass driver, but I could only find one review on it on this site in the links post in the review section (http://www.mfk-projects.com/dayton_rs.htm ). Has any one done any real world listening to this driver in the frequency range of 40 to 400 hz. The guy said it should be a very good performer up to 600 hz. Man if this thing is at least as detailed as the IR6 up to 250 Hz, it will find a home in my kicks. Also I’ve been working on an upfront sub setup with two DLS 10” subs. Now if these RS270 are as nice as they seem to be. I could save a lot of time and do away with the upfront subs and just use my 3 OA12 ( IB/Free Air) for the lowest of lows.

Power on hand at the moment is a DLS A3 which does as everyone probably already knows 150 x 2 at 40hms ( 75 at 8 ohms). I’m thinking of changing it out for 2 A2’s which do 290 at 4 ohm mono ( 145 at 8 ohms ) or another A4 bridged to do 250 x 2 at 4 ohms ( 125 at 8 ohms ). Sorry, the vehicle is a 90 Jeep Cherokee 2 door sport 4x4, totally rebuilt from the ground up for the system. The thing is kind of wide (round 2 meters), but the seats are being moved all the way back and the path lengths are 71 and 79 inches, for a PLD of 8 inches which is not too bad. With the drivers in the kicks they are actually out past the windshield, which is also a good thing for stage depth. I also have more than enough processor power to fix any problems that may arise from distortion caused by reflections and such. As we all know install is around 90% of the job and believe me I will nail this part. I hope!

Any recommendations you guys may have would be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long!

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Mark

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
300Z said:
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum...

This is the only project that i've seen using the RS270 so far... link

Leo
Thanks for the link. This guy seems to take care in not saying which driver sounds better. He does give a lot of tech info. Unfortunately I a world listen comparison type of guy. The numbers are all good, but how does it sound on music.

So what is everyones opionion on the sound of the RS225 and its impact from 40 - 400 hz. Remember this is a system that will be competing in the Ultra Pro 600+ class of IASCA and SLAP.

Thanks for all your help.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I really like the Peerless xls 8". After that the Dayton reference 8's. Funny thing is these are all relatively inexpensive drivers.

Sorry no experience with the 10". I'm not certain that with any driver in a kick that you could reach flat response to 40hz even in a car... although it would depend on the size of the kick and the vehicle's transfer function.

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
npdang said:
I really like the Peerless xls 8". After that the Dayton reference 8's. Funny thing is these are all relatively inexpensive drivers.

Sorry no experience with the 10". I'm not certain that with any driver in a kick that you could reach flat response to 40hz even in a car... although it would depend on the size of the kick and the vehicle's transfer function.
You don't think the RS225 would play 40 -50 hz IB in the Kicks being vented to the Out side of the car. Man the IR6 I have tested play do the 50 hz with no problem IB in the kicks vent out side the car and the IR8 play down to 30, but it just does have the quickness you need in the upper midbass range. So is the RS225 suitable for IB use.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
npdang said:
he thought it as a regular kick with limited airspace.

vented to the outside of the car would be awesome... you could play flat to 20hz. i'm sure i'll get to that at some point

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kappa546 said:
he thought it as a regular kick with limited airspace.

vented to the outside of the car would be awesome... you could play flat to 20hz. i'm sure i'll get to that at some point

Thats what I tought he was think, but I had to make sure. Now that what I'm talking about. I think this is my Driver. I will have to look into the XLS8. Which on is more musical. Being they are 8 the both should my good impact.

Thanks once again guys for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts