DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering building a passive radiator box for the below.

I have an ARC SE2300 to drive the sub so plenty of power.

I entered everything in WinISD with a box volume of 1.8cu ft and got this plot:

Does this seem reasonable? F3 is about 28Hz
I get a flatter response with a 2.3cuft box, but that's too big...

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
103 Posts
Generally a passive radiator is used if you cant get the volume that a subwoofer wants. You are already WAY over the recommended volume for this sub. Any reason you chose that volume AND a passive radiator design?

"Built for extreme performance in the smallest 10" subwoofer speaker enclosures, the Dayton Audio Reference Series RSS265HO-4 features an anodized aluminum cone, 4-layer voice coil, and optimized distortion-reducing magnet system. "

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Looking at just the Transfer function Magnitude doesnt show the whole picture. This sub, in a box that large, at rated power, will be Over excursion limits at 45hz.

That's why the recommended Box volume is .3ft. Here it is modeled in .33sqft:

Now, it can handle its rated 600 watts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looking at just the Transfer function Magnitude doesnt show the whole picture. This sub, in a box that large, at rated power, will be Over excursion limits at 45hz. View attachment 275685

View attachment 275686

Is that model the HO-4? Or the HO-44 as what OP is asking about?
And yea the HO-4 is great in small enclosure

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Yes, it does like more airspace. My biggest point here is not really the battle of airspace. My point is that trying to model that sub flat by throwing power and airspace at it might make a graph that shows somewhat flat down below 30hz. But, in reality, you just destroyed your sub with over excursion. And that graph is in no way representative of what the enclosure will acoustically produce in a vehicle after cabin gain.

Edit: especially when working with smaller subs, that roll off on the bottom end can be dealt with later in the game.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I see, so OP would be better off dropping the PR and slapping two, three or heck even 4 svc and still be under the 1.8cu ft ( didnt look at the amp)

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
With the amount of power the OP has, I would keep the box as small as possible, not worry at all what WinISD has to say about it, and flatten my curve with DSP after it's installed... But, thats just me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks all.
I actually realized that what I had didn't make sense. After adding 150g of weight to the PR a 1 cu ft box work much better.
In my previous install, I had the RSS265HF-4 (x2) in 0.7 sealed each but found that it didn't hit well on the really low end (for my occasional rap or hip hop songs) and was looking for better low end.
I also should have expanded on what I wanted to do design wise.
I was initially planning to build 2X 0.9 cu ft boxes (one big box separated really) with an HO-44 and a PR in each with the sub firing into the trunk and the PR firing through the 6x9 holes in the rear deck.
Each sub would then get 600W at 2ohm. When I looked at the excursion graph in WinISD it didn't seem like there would be an excursion issue, but I suck at WinISD so I probably missed something...
Here are the T/S values in WinISD:

Based on feedback here, maybe I'll just go with two HO-44s in small sealed enclosure again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at just the Transfer function Magnitude doesnt show the whole picture. This sub, in a box that large, at rated power, will be Over excursion limits at 45hz. View attachment 275685

View attachment 275686

You were correct!.
I downloaded Jeff Bagby's Woofer Box and Circuit Designer Excel workbook and remodeled in there (1 cu ft box) and the sub will exceed excursion.
I don't know why in WinISD I can't see that...
Thanks again for catching that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks all.
I actually realized that what I had didn't make sense. After adding 150g of weight to the PR a 1 cu ft box work much better.
In my previous install, I had the RSS265HF-4 (x2) in 0.7 sealed each but found that it didn't hit well on the really low end (for my occasional rap or hip hop songs) and was looking for better low end.
I also should have expanded on what I wanted to do design wise.
I was initially planning to build 2X 0.9 cu ft boxes (one big box separated really) with an HO-44 and a PR in each with the sub firing into the trunk and the PR firing through the 6x9 holes in the rear deck.
Each sub would then get 600W at 2ohm. When I looked at the excursion graph in WinISD it didn't seem like there would be an excursion issue, but I suck at WinISD so I probably missed something...
Here are the T/S values in WinISD:
View attachment 275740

Based on feedback here, maybe I'll just go with two HO-44s in small sealed enclosure again.
Regarding WinISD trouble, I've used this as a template over and over and never had an issue with inputting driver info into WinISD.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Regarding WinISD trouble, I've used this as a template over and over and never had an issue with inputting driver info into WinISD.

That worked much better, thank you!
Do I need to enter any values in the Signal tab? I ask because right now, Cone Excursion still shows 1 which obviously is wrong...
Ah, never mind sorry. I put in the 600W and it blows the excursion at around 46hz sealed in a 0.8 cu ft box.
Seems like anything above 90W will exceed Xmax before 20Hz

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
That sub is not going to play the low notes as loud as it will the higher ones. Physics... You can fix that with dsp.

Think about it realistically. If a $100 10" Sub in a small sealed box plays flat to 20hz, then there would be no reason for anything larger, more expensive, or more elaborate designs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sub is not going to play the low notes as loud as it will the higher ones. Physics... You can fix that with dsp.

Think about it realistically. If a $100 10" Sub in a small sealed box plays flat to 20hz, then there would be no reason for anything larger, more expensive, or more elaborate designs.
True LOL!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
If you want to try the PR thing, BB6 suggests to go with a 1.35 cu. ft. box and stuff the hell out of it.

Shows a pretty good response. But i'm sure the power handling will be low.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you want to try the PR thing, BB6 suggests to go with a 1.35 cu. ft. box and stuff the hell out of it.
View attachment 275751
View attachment 275752

Shows a pretty good response. But i'm sure the power handling will be low.
Thanks for modeling that. I'm definitely not married to the PR...I think I'll stick to sealed 0.8ft3 front fire through the rear seat opening.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts