DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which sub to use for my in car application. I own a Mini cooper so space is at a premium! Years ago when I was into car audio. It seems to me that we always end up back here at some point! Anyways, the solo is the old school 10" round vs the new dayton RS HF10" sub. solo needs about a .55 box while the dayton requires about a .92 box. both would give me an estimated(winisd) Qts of about .707. I'll be driving the sub with 348 watts rms. Both would be brand new. Which one would sound better? help!!

M

BTW I have the space for either one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well, the round soloboric is an old sub made for car audio use. it was made by a company that known for their "loudness" but supposedly the round solobaric is suppose to have "good SQ", but to be blunt, most car audio consumers dont really know what "good SQ" really sounds like and usually hype up junk that was slightly better then the junk theyve had before (if any). Ive owned a 12" round solobaric (for a really good price) and hated it ever since.

The Dayton Ref sub is simply a newer sub, using better technology. and its made by a company thats known to try to strive to make truely SQ-oriented drivers for the best prices.

Ive never heard the Daytons Ref's but i think they might be worthy enough for me to try out.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Shaunly, I think you are lumping the S10 into a group that you shouldn't. In a proper application, the solos sound VERY good. I'm gussing that Masi already owns the SoloBaric in question (otherwise, where can I purchase some new? :D), so, I'd suggest trying it first, but go ahead and build the larger enclosure (one that would fit the Dayton). Try the Solo in it, and if you don't care for it, sell it and go for the Dayton. I can also state that the old Solo's worked very well in ported enclosures despite what all the "marketing" said. They tended to work in larger sealed than was recommended by Kicker, and sounded flatter in such cases.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know BNIB old school round 10" Solobarics are on ebay all the time. Apparently there's a company on the web that made these drivers for Kicker called Credence Speakers. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Ryan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
|Tch0rT| said:
I know BNIB old school round 10" Solobarics are on ebay all the time. Apparently there's a company on the web that made these drivers for Kicker called Credence Speakers. I don't know if that's true or not though.

Ryan
Yup..These are in fact the old round solo's! The CSS models are the ones..
Also I have not purchased one yet but plan to buy one or the dayton soon!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
To make things clear, I accidently posted under ShaunLy's account (was using his computer) and didnt realize it til now. So if youd like to flame, flame away..!

Personally, i think it sound similar to their newer junk but just not as bad... :)

btw, apparently Shaun's also owned a SoloBaric and thinks its not bad either, we just both think theres better out there..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts