110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use the dcx2496 in the car.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go to his site, you'll see it's unavailable for a long time now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
515 Posts
You are absolutely fine using an inverter, any noise should be filtered out in the transformer in the DCX.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You are absolutely fine using an inverter, any noise should be filtered out in the transformer in the DCX.
Should != will be

I have heard many complaints of noise when going this route.

I too am looking for a good PSU for this purpose, and the ones made here seem to no longer exist. A car pc PSU seems like it should work though...

·
Registered
222 Posts
A car PC power supply will have too much switching noise for the analog output op amps. A linear analog power supply is really what should be used for the analog circuits. I believe there is a mod out there for the DCX2496 that does this for AC powered units. IIRC, Behringer uses a switching power supply for analog and digital circuits and improvements in sound quality are possible with the addition of a good analog power supply. I think Jan Didden mentioned this in an article for Audio Xpress magazine. If you search for his web site, the article and others should be there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
sorry if i have to open this again but i dont want to be flamed for opening a new thread about this. its a simple question on the use of the DCX on a 12v operation. it has been said above that if using the DCX, its not all good for using an inverter, noise may or would be produce, but if ever, can be filtered out by the built in transformer. also a good and stable power supply is needed to ensure a noise free operation.

so question is, if the 12v kit is not available, will the use of a none ordinary inverter but a pure sine wave inverter change the conversation? and the pure sine wave will suffice?

thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
bump?

any feedback on running the DCX on a pure sine wave inverter rather than just an ordinary inverter or the 12v mod itself?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Pure sie wave should be fine, cheapo inverters can make a bunch of hash that can sneak on audio lines and/or cause radio interference issues. If you still have issues with pure sine then I'd toss some ferrites on the audio lines/radio antenna lead.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I've used both. Cheapo inverters and pure sine. No audible noise using either.

Much to my surprise, when I was running the DCX2496 setup, I had maybe the lowest noise floor I've ever had in the car. It was impossible to tell if the system was on, even with the car off.

It should be noted that the inverter was shielded and grounded, not that it should matter a whole lot. You could always put a choke on the output too. Really, I don't see any reason not to run an inverter. [My apologies to envisionelec...]

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts

Much to my surprise, when I was running the DCX2496 setup, I had maybe the lowest noise floor I've ever had in the car. It was impossible to tell if the system was on, even with the car off.

It should be noted that the inverter was shielded and grounded, not that it should matter a whole lot. You could always put a choke on the output too. Really, I don't see any reason not to run an inverter. [My apologies to envisionelec...]
I am about *this* close to crossing over to The Dark Side and ditching my passive crossovers. I'm trying to copy the midbass magic of Clark's Grand National, and I've found some information that indicates that I need digital delay to do it.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio-sq-forum/69060-natural-bass.html

DCX2496 here I come...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

This is interesting. I was considering at one point using behringer analog EQ and Crossovers and was basically told Id have alot of noise using an inverter to power them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts