DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
I have a set of boards that will increase the capabilities of the DCX2496 to some new heights. I have sent my board art out to a pro to be double checked. I wanted a superior layout. I am supposed to have the board files back by the first of next week, then it goed to the board house for a test run. Shouldn't be long. As for the power supply, i spent good time trying various topologies, but a high quality switching supply is the only way to keep the costs down. I tried a linear supply with super regs, and the cost was more than the behringer itself when i was done. I will have a smps available soon for the behringer items. Robs power supply is not bad, it just prefers a clean input. It is not isolated, so if you have dirty power, you will have dirty sound.
Hans

· Registered
26,540 Posts
mbcouple said:
I have a set of boards that will increase the capabilities of the DCX2496 to some new heights. I have sent my board art out to a pro to be double checked. I wanted a superior layout. I am supposed to have the board files back by the first of next week, then it goed to the board house for a test run. Shouldn't be long. As for the power supply, i spent good time trying various topologies, but a high quality switching supply is the only way to keep the costs down. I tried a linear supply with super regs, and the cost was more than the behringer itself when i was done. I will have a smps available soon for the behringer items. Robs power supply is not bad, it just prefers a clean input. It is not isolated, so if you have dirty power, you will have dirty sound.
Hans
What will these capabilities be?

· Registered
276 Posts
Output stage replacement with selectable true balanced or true single ended output (if running balanced, you have the option of not installing the extra 8 opamps, saving costs) The single ended output uses an opamp to sum the channels, so you can use it with any non-balanced amps without signal loss or special cables

Input stage replacement with digital input selection: 3 coaxial inputs, 3 toslink inputs (replaces aes/ebu), upgraded ASRC with the AD1896 for incresed jitter reduction and input capable of recieving 192k. Optional full range output for use with external processor or amps with internal xovers for sub use. Why waste an xover setting on your dcx with simple sub bass xover. This way you can run a true 3-way front stage, and use a bass cube, max bass, epicenter.... whatever cheap sub processor or the internal xover of your amp to do the job. The dac section is on the input board and the output section is on the output stage replacement, and will have the balanced or single ended option, same as the other 6 output. (dac used is identical akm 4393)

I have a version of the output board that has a wolfson wm8816 inserted before the opamps. This is the best volume control chip on the market. I have the hardware desgin done for this, but am waiting on someone to finish the micro code (sorry guys, i cant program worth cr*p). This will be controlled via rotary encoder and or rocker switch, will have an lcd readout for volume level, and incorporate mute and input selection from the input board. Currently, the volume will have 256 step for fine tuning, but i will have the code make this easily changable if that proves to be too many. Inputs will be labled Coax 1, Coax 2..... Optical 3. Hopefuly, a service will be available where i can custom label your inputs for you for a nominal fee.

Seperated the "interface" board from the output stage. It is now a seperate, optional board, and will still contain the 2 RJ45 and DB9 connections.

Clock upgrade module for the dacs using a 5pps source and twin shunt dedicated powersupply.

Power supply will be similar to that of Rob M. 's design, but will have an isolated 12v pre-supply so there should be no noise. Pricing has yet to be determined, as i still have yet to build a production version, and havent gotten a quote from the board house.

Upgrades will be provided as a send-in service with the excpetion of the power supply, it will be plug-and-play. I have sent out the face of the dcx to be 3d-scanned, and will be offering custom, remote mountable face kits for the dcx front pannel. Also a new chassis will be available with room to stack the innards and upgrade boards of either one or two dcx units. Power supply will be external on the new chassis for maximum noise rejection, and connect via an 8pin conductor (possibly cat 5/6, performance of this small of a wire has yet to be tested on this power supply)

Each unit will require its own power supply, but a "Y" cable will be offered so only one power connector will be required to power both units.

All the new connectors will be quality neutrik connectors. They will be pannel mounts, not board mounts, so no undue stress will be put on the boards. If you have a preference to another brand apart from neutrik, i will install them for you if you send them with your dcx for a nominal fee. Connecting cable has yet to be chosen, but will probably be a high quality 99.999% copper, if you want your own favorite brand installed, send a 3ft section in with your unit.

As a final note, i work a normal full time job, so i am dedicating as much time and resources that i can towards this project. Also, the only person thus far to test any of these circuits has been myself. Once the boards are completed, i will send out "samples" to several key member of the car audio community for testing. They have been chosen for the knowledge of products and what good sound should sound like, and also geographic location. I want to make sure the components i selected are stable in all the enviorments found here in the states. I am allowing at least 2 weeks for these sample trials before i order a first run of boards. So, they will be available soon, but not immediately. I am also still waiting on my code for the input selection and volume control, so as of now, the wait is out of my hands.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.