DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking through the old threads, and it looks like the problem with the DCX2496 is the ballanced XLR connections.

From what I can tell the options are
a) Isollate the Power supply. Since the ps is isolated, simple RCA-XLR conversion cables can be used.

b) Convert RCA-XLR using transformers (balance buddy). This will reduce/eliminate noise so isolating the ps is not necessary

I'm seeing threads about modifying the PS... I Don't know if I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem that complicated or expensive to me - pickup a inverter and a Isolation Transformer and there you go!

wouldn't something like this work?

Thanks,
-Jeff

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
If you're using an isolating transformer, make sure it can handle a wide range of frequencies... Ideally beyond the audio range of 20-20khz, since you'd want a flat phase response as well. Also check to make sure it can handle the power you're going to throw at it without saturating. Efficiency may also be a concern.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would it need to handle the audio range?
It goes battery -> inverter -> Isolator -> DCX2496
I'm not talking about introducing any transormers into the signal path, just isolating the AC power. I'm no EE, but I think this would isolate the grounds so noise isn't an issue.

maybe not the most efficient way to do things, but would it work until Hans's mod is availible and I can afford it?

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Also keep in mind that the ground pin has to pass on an isolator. Defeating the prupose of isolating the Behringer chassis from the vehicle chassis.

Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts