DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hey if you want to sell it, NewTitan will buy em...JK
Got any more pics of the process you took when this happened?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have done several of these... I have no clue how in the world you did that to them trying to remove the shield\magnet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't do it, a guy I know did it. And supposedly he said he debucked them as mentioned in that ECA thread. Did it to 2 of them by the way.

This is what happened after he played music through them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I tell you what... I'll see if somehow I can take video of the next pair I do... you will see the little amount of effort it takes.

·
Registered
578 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
This is what happened after he played music through them.
I am trying to imagine, the amount of excursion needed to cause that much damage (as pictured)...

So I would have to ask... how loud was the music playing? If I had to guess, it looks like the results of a really low freq sine at high volume levels...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow. You guys really need to take time. I debucked both my daytons in under 5 minutes.

Smack around the shield to break the glue and then use a screwdriver to pry it out.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
racerraul said:
I am trying to imagine, the amount of excursion needed to cause that much damage (as pictured)...

So I would have to ask... how loud was the music playing? If I had to guess, it looks like the results of a really low freq sine at high volume levels...

That's a shifted frame assembly, check out the surround.

Chad

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
racerraul said:

I'm not sure how loud he was playing them.

I wouldn't buy these though unless I knew for sure that I wouldn't mess them up. Say you mess up only one of them, that would bring the cost close to 50 bucks per driver if you had to buy another one. This guy messed up two of them, then decided to buys Seas drivers. :rolleyes:

That's 4 people I know of now that has ruined these things. Why can't they just make a non-shielded version?

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable taking the chance, nothing the few of us that have debucked them with eaze can say will help you.

The bottom line is if you can't spare the $50 to take a chance... don't do it. :rolleyes:

The non-shielded 4ohm designs are rumored to be released, but not before the RS line of subs (from what I have read in forums).

Until they are out... either wait or get the Seas. After all although I have not had the pleasure to listen to the Seas, I hear they are just as good if not better alternative to the RS...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmm...that's crazy that people have been having troubles with the daytons. I wrote the guide thingy on ECA and the only problem i had was getting the black shield off (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT IT WITH GRINDER :D hehe).
But other than that, just make sure you have the right tools (hammer and some sort of chissle or big screwdriver), and it's relatively straight forward...
Now if i could just find the magnets to use the daytons in my home theater project...

Otherwise i've got a couple debucked Daytons for sale :)

Later guys

Mark

·
Registered
578 Posts
I just debucked a pair of RS125's that wil go in my Saturn. I must say I feel it is getting easier to do...

I don't use a hammer either... I use a plastic hammer\mallet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
add one to the casualty list... my cone is frozen. I did have to whack it lot to bust the stupid shield loose. I don't know how you guys are tapping it a couple times and it coming right off, that thing was ON there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
trust me when I say heating the sheild on a stove is WAY easier!

just put the driver on a pan (i used one of those coated non stick pans prolly teflon or whatever)

wrap the drivers basket in foil then the trick is alternating heat. put the stove on the highest setting for 30 seconds then turn it down and repeat for 10 minutes then put the drivers sheild in a vice and pull.

comes off so easy you would NEVER think of hammering the sheild off again. easy as pie.

and as I mentioned in the diy articles, I thank whoever came up with this idea because I would have frozen my drivers for sure.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
racerraul said:
I just debucked a pair of RS125's that wil go in my Saturn. I must say I feel it is getting easier to do...

I don't use a hammer either... I use a plastic hammer\mallet.
I tried the mallet but had to go back to hammer,heres mine on the left............

1 - 20 of 34 Posts