DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a decent pair of work boots for shoveling the driveway, splitting wood, running the chainsaw, and other general outdoor chores in a wooded area. Waterproof is a must. Steel toe would be nice, but isn't required. This is for occasional use only, so I really don't need a $200 set of professional boots. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Hmm, in my experience boots that are good in the dirt are not good when it gets cold. Like tires, the compound is too hard and you fall on your ass. You might need 2 pairs, unless someone else has tried more than I have.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the Grainger site, but the selection was very limited. They only had 1 style and it was $132. I realize Sierra Trading Post has a constantly revolving selection and products come in and sell out, but at the moment, they don't have what I'm looking for.

I also tried Amazon, but their search engine is absolute garbage. I searched for "work boots men 10.5 waterproof" and sorted by price low to high, and most of 1st page of results were women's sandals:mad: I tried refining my searches, but another problem is that the item will have a range of like $40-$150. And of course all the common sizes are $150, which defeats the purpose of sorting by price. How can the largest online retailer in the world have such a horrible search function?? [/rant]

I also found some $20 and $40 boots on Walmart.com that look decent... until u read the reviews and find out they only last a year or 2 even w/ occasional use. Not really surprising given the price. There doesn't seem to be anything in the $75-$100 range that would meet my needs.

At this point, I'm looking at used Timberland's on eBay... my old boots are Timberland and they've held up really well.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hmm... weird.. I just went to the grainger website. They show 20000 items when i type/search shoes. About 700 are the steel toes type..(?) But anyways, other websites/methods will work too. Best to buy new in case some of these guys have fungus or something bad toes lol

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... weird.. I just went to the grainger website. They show 20000 items when i type/search shoes. About 700 are the steel toes type..(?)
I searched "men's waterproof work boots" and selected the 6" size. All the results are just different sizes of the same boot. Maybe the difference is that u didn't add in the waterproof requirement?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
syc0, just type/search "shoes" on that grainger website and click on the left icon/picture (work boots) and it'll pull up all the items matching. Then on the page itself, it will describe each shoe for example "Wide Toe Cap, Waterproof, Oil-Resistant Sole, Non-Marking Sole, Metal Chip-Resistant Sole, Electrical Hazard (EH), Defined Heel, Composite Toe, Chemical-Resistant Sole, Best Slip-Resistance" (it's an industrial/contractor/warehouse supply store).
(Use a desktop/laptop browser to view in case it's different from mobile browser.)

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Keen San Jose 6" Waterproof Aluminum Toe Workboot

Yeah, not cheap, but great quality and SUPER comfortable. I prefer flat-sole boots w/o the separate, lifted heel. They still have an excellent arched insert. Like most boots, they will last a long time if you take care of the leather upper...treat them with mink oil or a mink oil/silicone waterproof treatment on a regular schedule. They do make a soft-toe version as well at a similar price I believe.

If you have even a medium-wide foot, make sure to get the Wide sizes. Otherwise, Keen's sizes and fit are accurate to your "common" size. Just be sure to get the Wide unless you actually do have a narrow foot.

And they're called "Work Boots" because they are supposed to hold up to rough "work" environments. Inexpensive materials and construction of "cheaper" boots just don't hold up to the abuse over time. So I think you'll find that in the long run you'll end up having to buy new replacements more often. And even during that timespan, the boot models and styles will change and you'll end up having to search out a completely new boot that you like. It's a tradeoff, but one to consider.

I also had (and LOVED) the previous version of the San Jose's (the Glendale Waterproof Work Boot - Steel Toe) which was sadly discontinued, but more expensive, although a real Steel toe. Your feet feel like they are protected like Fort Knox in these, but they are as comfortable as a tennis shoe (IME). I preferred the chevron pattern sole on the Glendale boot a bit more, but the San Jose is great as well.

I used these on film/tv/photo shoot sets (as required by OSHA) on hard surfaces for many, consecutive, long-hour days & nights. But I also used them for outdoor & hillside landscape and property maintenence. I've cut & cleared 100s of oak & pine trees (for fire danger) with chain saws and axes on my parent's hillside property, and they held up beautifully, while being extremely comfortable and protecting my feet. I also wore them while working around my nieces big Arabian horses, which I boarded for many years. Ever had a 2000lb horse step on your foot? :p

Actually, the Keen's are so comfortable, I got to the point where I just wore them ALL THE TIME, haha. At that point I knew that I had found "the right boot", so I bought an extra pair shortly after buying the first pair of Glendales. I think I'll do the same with the San Jose.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. Just my .02

You might also look at some Timberland's and Merrell. Great quality and very comfortable. I also second the Danner's, but they're expensive as well.

There are a Crap Load of decent work boots available from a multitude of manufacturers and it's really difficult to sort them out!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Expensive but Red Wings have never failed me working in all weather conditions including snow.
Look at some Danner boots. Danner - Since 1932
Yeah, not cheap, but great quality and SUPER comfortable. And they're called "Work Boots" because they are supposed to hold up to rough "work" environments. Inexpensive materials and construction of "cheaper" boots just don't hold up to the abuse over time. So I think you'll find that in the long run you'll end up having to buy new replacements more often.
As I mentioned, I'm looking for boots in the $75-$100 range for occasional use. It would be very rare that I would use them for more than 2-3hrs at time or more than 10hrs/week. My current work boots are a pair of Timberland's I bought in 1994, wore for about 5yrs as "fashion" boots, and then started using them as work boots after they got too scuffed up. But now the toes of the boot are peeling away from the sole. So is a 25yr lifespan a testament to how good Timberland boots are, or does it have more to do w/ how little I use them? Probably both.

syc0, just type/search "shoes" on that grainger website and click on the left icon/picture (work boots) and it'll pull up all the items matching. Then on the page itself, it will describe each shoe for example "Wide Toe Cap, Waterproof, Oil-Resistant Sole, Non-Marking Sole, Metal Chip-Resistant Sole, Electrical Hazard (EH), Defined Heel, Composite Toe, Chemical-Resistant Sole, Best Slip-Resistance"
OP...what about these Keen 6" waterproof steel toe boots on STP right now available in many sizes for $99
I don't why I'm having so much trouble w/ my searches, but these boots I found on Grainger and the Keen boots are very strong contenders at this point. Thanks for the good suggestions!

·
Listener of Music
2,919 Posts
Wolverine boots. I've had a pair for work That's lasted over 10 years. I only use them a few months a year but they are awesome. Honestly can't remember what they cost. Most guys that work around here use Wolverine or Red Wings. Well those that don't want to buy new bootss every year. Timberland pro never hold up. I haven't seen a single guy using them as construction boots be happy with them after a few months.

The best shoveling, around the yard, playing in the snow boots I've ever had are real Moon boots. I bought them for my kids a few years ago (they wanted them). They slip right on so a couple times here and there I used them to run out to the garage and found it they are the warmest/lightest boot I've used. They are waterproof and super grippy. They're ridiculously bulky and awkward looking.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up buying a lightly used pair of Timberlands for $36 shipped. They were scuffed up, but I don't care about that for work boots. I know exactly what to expect in terms of comfort, fit, and durability, and at that price, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts