DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know if I will benefit from adding dedicated midbass speakers to my car? I am currently trying to figure out what I want to install, and one of the things I am debating is whether to bother with midbass speakers.

I am currently using some Arc Audio FD6000's for mids and Vifa tweeters, can't remember the exact model, but they look similar to the BC25SC55 but the heat sink is square, instead of round. At the moment I am running them passively, but plan to eventually run them active once I have picked up everything I need.

At the moment the speakers are running with no sub, no processing, and, at least to me, get a surprising amount of bass. So, I am wondering whether I should bother adding dedicated mid-bass speakers or not. If I do, then I will likely be going with Peerless SLS 6.5's (unless I can figure out a way to get SLS 8's to fit) with 100RMS. The plan would be to install them in the rear doors, with an MS8 doing the processing. The Arc mids would also be getting 100RMS, and tweeters would be getting 75RMS.

But, since I get a good amount of bass from the Arc mids, should I simply put a pair of coaxials/components in the rear doors, upgrade the stock center speaker and let the MS8 handle things?

Kind of hard to know what to do, since I have no experience of running dedicated mid bass.

Any input? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The SLS 6.5" (and 8" even more) would give you WAY more bass than the Arcs. If you want more bass up front then consider them. If you're happy with it then don't bother. SLS is tuned for bass. It is a woofer. Your Arc midbasses (they are not midranges, and I wish people would stop saying "mids" because that means midrange, which 2-ways do not use) cannot do that simply because the reasons that make the SLS so awesome at bass also make it so terrible at midrange frequencies. The 6.5" is only good up to 300-400Hz or so.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmmmm... more info please....

What type of car? Would you be adding the midbass to the front doors, and installing the Arc's in the kicks (assuming they're better mids than midbasses)?

On the face of it, I'd say adding the MS8 and updating the center would be my first move (MS8 powering the everything until an amp or amps are installed).

No sub?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SLS 6.5" (and 8" even more) would give you WAY more bass than the Arcs. If you want more bass up front then consider them. If you're happy with it then don't bother. SLS is tuned for bass. It is a woofer. Your Arc midbasses (they are not midranges, and I wish people would stop saying "mids" because that means midrange, which 2-ways do not use) cannot do that simply because the reasons that make the SLS so awesome at bass also make it so terrible at midrange frequencies. The 6.5" is only good up to 300-400Hz or so.
Thanks for the reply, there are definitely times I want more, and from my research so far the SLS will be a great choice. If I understand correctly, currently I have:

Highs (Vifa)
Midbass (Arc)
Sub

But, if I do decide to go ahead with the SLS, I would then have:

Highs (Vifa)
Midrange (Arc)
Midbass (SLS)
Sub

Hmmmm... more info please....

What type of car? Would you be adding the midbass to the front doors, and installing the Arc's in the kicks (assuming they're better mids than midbasses)?

On the face of it, I'd say adding the MS8 and updating the center would be my first move (MS8 powering the everything until an amp or amps are installed).

No sub?
Its a 2006 A4 Avant, if I add the midbass they would be going in the rear doors (that brings up another question, about whether even using the MS8 would having them in the rear doors be a pointless exercise). The Arcs would be staying in the factory front door locations (I am not adverse to even switching them out for better midrange speakers if I adopt dedicated midbass speakers).

Yes, I have a sub. Its an eD 11KV.2 running off 300W (its just not currently connected, I recently sold my H650, so only currently have front speakers running).

Thanks both for the replies.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
With the MS8, the majority of the information will come from the center. If you're looking for more, I would look there first. Fit the largest speaker you can and cross it as low as you can.

Let's say, for example, you want left, center, and right to cross at 80hz. The is enough "information" being steered to center that you if you could fit a 6" mid up there, you could probably go DOWN to 4's for the sides. You wouldn't do that since you already have bigger speakers up there, but it's good to point out just how much the center is responsible for.

If you are happy with the sound now, and it's between midbass in the rear doors or surrounds for the MS8, my vote is for surrounds. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the MS8, the majority of the information will come from the center. If you're looking for more, I would look there first. Fit the largest speaker you can and cross it as low as you can.

Let's say, for example, you want left, center, and right to cross at 80hz. The is enough "information" being steered to center that you if you could fit a 6" mid up there, you could probably go DOWN to 4's for the sides. You wouldn't do that since you already have bigger speakers up there, but it's good to point out just how much the center is responsible for.

If you are happy with the sound now, and it's between midbass in the rear doors or surrounds for the MS8, my vote is for surrounds. Just my .02.
Thanks, I think I will try the surrounds route first. If I find they don't work out, then I can put those speakers into my workbench I plan to build (have a Pioneer 6800 that I plan to build into a bench)

My main issue is going to be getting anything much bigger than a 3" speaker in the center location. I popped the center grill off last weekend, and there is not a whole lot of room there, very doubtful I can get a 6" speaker in there, either diameter or mounting depth wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts