DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
purchasing a new amp soon. would need advice on either a 2 channel or a mono amp. as of now my decision is to stick with the same line as the amp i have now.

the 2 channel amp is about $150 cheaper than the mono amp.

my objective is to have another 2 extra channels of amplification so i can go active eventually when i get money for a processor.

what i have now is my only setup so far and I'm excited to hear what headroom is all about when i get more power. also can't wait to go active but that will have to wait until the processor as the focal amps won't allow full active and i can't change my HU due to integration.

current system:

front stage 90W
sub stage 240W

powered by a 4 channel amp (focal fpp4100) running front stage (focal v30) and sub stage (focal 21v2 bridged).

so here are my options:

option 1: 4 channel amp + dedicated sub amp (focal fpp1000)

passive:
front stage 240W (passive bridged)
sub stage 350W

active eventually:
tweeters: 90W
woofer: 90W
sub: 350W

option 2: 4 channel amp + 2 channel amp (focal fpp2100)

passive:
front stage 240W (passive bridged)
sub stage 260W (on new amp... though i will lose my sub remote function)

active eventually:
tweeters: 90W (using 4 channel amp)
woofer: 100W (using the stronger 2 channel amp)
sub stage: 240W (using the rear channels of the 4 channel amp for the sub remote function)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It's been my observation (whatever its worth) that the more power you throw at speakers (mids and subwoofers) the nicer they seem to sound. However, 90 vs 100watts for the mids probably will not make much difference, other things being equal, but 240W vs 350watts would probably make a difference on the sub stage. Obviously mono block is more expensive, but it's also more flexible in the long run since it can be wired for 2ohm.

Are Focal amplifiers really that much better than budget friendly options? I mean, with that $150 difference (plus a few dollars more) you could easily find a mono amplifier or 2-channel amp good for 600-1000watts (the new PPI Phantoms for example). In your situation, I would have preferred to buy one relatively powerful 4-channel amplifier. Use two channels to power the mids in active mode, and other two for subwoofer bridged. This way, you can run active, and your mids and subwoofer both will see increased power headroom.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
IMHO, a seperate sub amp helps. the amount of power that subs pull vs midrange make using a 4 channel in 3 channel mode for mid/sub duty less than ideal. if that is what you have to work with, then so be it. but I always had better results with a seperate sub amp.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
IMHO, a seperate sub amp helps. the amount of power that subs pull vs midrange make using a 4 channel in 3 channel mode for mid/sub duty less than ideal. if that is what you have to work with, then so be it. but I always had better results with a seperate sub amp.
I'm here also, a sub amp is better on a sub. Another issue is you can change the amp on your sub or mids that way, you are not locked into a 4 or 5ch. 4ch are ok because you can always bridge them on mids/woofers/midbass with no loss really, as a 5ch can also do. But if you want to change the sub power you are stuck. I also agree many 4ch are not really built to carry the current for a sub, while they work if you look in them you see the 2ch and sub amps always seem to have larger power supplies and caps, etc.

So I would get a larger sub amp, or what size you want. Then use the 4ch for the comps. If that does not work you can bridge the 4ch on the woofers and tweets do not require near the power most people say you can get a smaller amp for those. Have to say I also agree that quality in a sub amp is first thing I would let go if I didn't have a budget. You could run a kenwood and not notice much if any difference for most subs, the cheapest amp I would use in my car. Or use it until you get something else...there always seems to be something else.

Reading your post again sure; I'd buy a kenwood (or similar) class D on sale for ~100 maybe <50 used and save for a processor. Get the processor and tune in the system, then worry about a sub amp if you need to because it just isn't going to make that much difference in the sound like a processor or speakers will. Of course, that is just how I would do it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm here also, a sub amp is better on a sub. Another issue is you can change the amp on your sub or mids that way, you are not locked into a 4 or 5ch. 4ch are ok because you can always bridge them on mids/woofers/midbass with no loss really, as a 5ch can also do. But if you want to change the sub power you are stuck. I also agree many 4ch are not really built to carry the current for a sub, while they work if you look in them you see the 2ch and sub amps always seem to have larger power supplies and caps, etc.

So I would get a larger sub amp, or what size you want. Then use the 4ch for the comps. If that does not work you can bridge the 4ch on the woofers and tweets do not require near the power most people say you can get a smaller amp for those. Have to say I also agree that quality in a sub amp is first thing I would let go if I didn't have a budget. You could run a kenwood and not notice much if any difference for most subs, the cheapest amp I would use in my car. Or use it until you get something else...there always seems to be something else.

Reading your post again sure; I'd buy a kenwood (or similar) class D on sale for ~100 maybe <50 used and save for a processor. Get the processor and tune in the system, then worry about a sub amp if you need to because it just isn't going to make that much difference in the sound like a processor or speakers will. Of course, that is just how I would do it.
i just want the matching focal sub amp. I'm kind of obsessive compulsive that way. that will then give me 240W to the front stage bridged since the sub will be running off a dedicated amp.

the processor is just too expensive for me as of the moment. if i could just get a processor right away then i may just go for a cheap sub amp (massive n3) just to be able to run active off the bat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts