DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question to ask, it's a little beyond my understanding of how 'sound quality' is defined. if you have two speakers with the same frequency response it DOESN'T mean that they sound the same. how do you 'clarity' and 'transparency'. what makes a speaker sound 'real'. a 'real' speaker sounds like the instrument or voice is really there. the differences in a 'speaker' and a real instrument is what makes it less realistic. a 'completely real' sounding speaker produces sound waves for our ears EXACTLY how the instrument would produce sound waves.

so my question is .. how do you measure the differences in what sound waves are produced by a speaker compared to the real thing. one is VOLUME at X hz (called frequency response) you want each frequency to be of the same volume as the real thing. another one is distortion, or malformation of the true sound wave.

so what do we want from a speaker and why does a real singer or instrument sound better than a speaker. it's because of the speaker's inability to reproduce the sound wave accurately.

what measurements or 'numbers' are used to determine a 'better' true reproduction of a sound wave

·
DIYMA lurker
801 Posts
Don't forget about the speaker producing sounds that aren't supposed to be there, due to harmonic resonance and energy storage.

This is a good question because it makes us examine the nature of a sound wave. For example, what gives a tone at Xhz texture, or makes is sounds OOOey or AAAey? Picturing a sine wave on a screen, any texture you could add to it is really just adding other frequencies, not modifying the original frequency. But if you hook up a guitar to a wa-wa pedal, surely the sound isn't just different frequencies being added to the original note? So it's hard to imagine what's going on to produce all these subtleties.

Dan

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
A part of me likes to think that sound quality is trying to reproduce a recording as accurately as possible, but in practice I tend to choose drivers and setup my system to whatever I think sounds best.

Typically stored energy and non-linear distortion are a good indicator of clarity and realism.

·
Registered
578 Posts
npdang said:
A part of me likes to think that sound quality is trying to reproduce a recording as accurately as possible, but in practice I tend to choose drivers and setup my system to whatever I think sounds best.

Typically stored energy and non-linear distortion are a good indicator of clarity and realism.
I have to say this is as close as any good answer to that question...

The reason is, that unless you are at the recording studio then running to your car... it is hard to establish what is being reproduced as it is in real life... therefore I do the same as he... choose based on what sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
So those of you that compete SQ, has does that run into the mix, as your not judging your own car...someone else is, and what you look for in your speakers, that make them so good and so clean and accurate, someone may not pick up on and not sound as good to someone else.....How do you take the subjectivity out of the equation and really get a true SQ setup, without getting bias and such that everyone generally has?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sound Quality: What sounds good to you (subjective).

Sound Accuracy: What sounds as close to the original recording as possible (objective).

Most tune with the former in mind and many don't actually like the latter (usually "waaaaay too little bass").

I do think, however, there's a point where the two intersect and anything "behind" that intersection/curve is objectionable to anyone's ears.

:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
demon2091tb said:
So those of you that compete SQ, has does that run into the mix, as your not judging your own car...someone else is, and what you look for in your speakers, that make them so good and so clean and accurate, someone may not pick up on and not sound as good to someone else.....How do you take the subjectivity out of the equation and really get a true SQ setup, without getting bias and such that everyone generally has?
Well, there in that case I follow the rule book. The best one out there is IASCA's rule book because in it, you will find an explanation of what your sound stage should sound like. Once you address all of those details, then you are really left with choosing drivers with good tonality.

So the competitive thing to do then is to listen to what the winning vehicles sound like... once you do that you will be like... Holey Frijoles!!! :eek: that car sounds good... At least I have yet to sit in a vehicle that bested mine & not think he didn't deserve it. And you can always ask the judge where you were lacking & do some comparisons if the times allow...

I love to help my competition... I need it, we all need it... how else will the bar be raised?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.