DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanna run this by you guys. I'm giving you my most genius of ideas here so hold on(possible tspence wanna be). I was thinking about door mounted speakers and how having the window rolled down will block the deflex pad. So what if there was some kind of stand off that could be attached to the back of the speaker so that the deflex pad would be in front of the window when it's rolled down, but still right behind the speaker. Well, now as I'm typing this i'm not so sure it would not work very well since I think the deflex pad is most effective when it's attached to a soild surface. But if it's main purpose is to block the backwave of the speaker from coming back and hitting the cone then I don't see why it wouldn't work. What do you think?

·
Registered
422 Posts
So I wanna run this by you guys. I'm giving you my most genius of ideas here so hold on(possible tspence wanna be). I was thinking about door mounted speakers and how having the window rolled down will block the deflex pad. So what if there was some kind of stand off that could be attached to the back of the speaker so that the deflex pad would be in front of the window when it's rolled down, but still right behind the speaker. Well, now as I'm typing this i'm not so sure it would not work very well since I think the deflex pad is most effective when it's attached to a soild surface. But if it's main purpose is to block the backwave of the speaker from coming back and hitting the cone then I don't see why it wouldn't work. What do you think?
I don't think you're mostly right, I know you're mostly right. That's how the pad works, just defract waves, installed in a way so that it's intercepting the backwaves from a flat surface. The flat surface, relative to the path of backwave, is a good direct reflector.

If the 'flat surface' behind the speaker is about 30-degrees off from the speaker, you need not worry too much about adding a pad at all. Or in doors with the reinforced crash beams/bars/pipes directly behind a speaker. Cut the pad in half and attach to above and below the beam.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well if your window is down your loosing all your sq anyway. And all your letting out all your VBA as well.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Any SQ you gain with the deflex pad between the window and speaker is gone + more with the windows down anyway. Probably not worth the effort.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my GTI, the midbass went out the window (pun intended) when I had them down. Another issue you have to look at is the volume of air you are working with and if your doors are deadened. When you have the window down, you are changing the characteristics of the "enclosure" drastically...not to mention the volume of air the speaker has to react with (everything outside the car now). So even if you find some way to mount a deflex pad behind the speaker but in front of the window when it is down, this will probably not help as much as you hope it would. But worth a shot if you can do it. :)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
You mean like lip-wristed, drool face retarded or like learning disabled retarded? :confused:

Goodstuff - what's the passband the drivers are playing?

Well, it's not like we need to have used anything here or tested it in anyway to have any actual knowledge about it before labeling it either total kick ass, or in this case retarded.

It happens everyday here.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think you're mostly right, I know you're mostly right. That's how the pad works, just defract waves, installed in a way so that it's intercepting the backwaves from a flat surface. The flat surface, relative to the path of backwave, is a good direct reflector.

If the 'flat surface' behind the speaker is about 30-degrees off from the speaker, you need not worry too much about adding a pad at all. Or in doors with the reinforced crash beams/bars/pipes directly behind a speaker. Cut the pad in half and attach to above and below the beam.
I'm already using them. It's pretty much flat. I don't have a beam.

Well if your window is down your loosing all your sq anyway. And all your letting out all your VBA as well.
I has an SQ and VBA? Just kidding. It's always been one of issues I have with door speakers.I guess I need some horns in my apillars.

Any SQ you gain with the deflex pad between the window and speaker is gone + more with the windows down anyway. Probably not worth the effort.
Not sure you get what I am saying. Have the pad in front of the window so when you roll it down the window doesn't go between the speaker and pad.

You mean like lip-wristed, drool face retarded or like learning disabled retarded? :confused:

Goodstuff - what's the passband the drivers are playing?
From 80hz to 3.15k

Well, it's not like we need to have used anything here or tested it in anyway to have any actual knowledge about it before labeling it either total kick ass, or in this case retarded.

It happens everyday here.:rolleyes:
Well since it's my idea it's obviously totally kickass, but just to make sure, how should we test it?

Thanks for your responses. I will be trying this in the future.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know, was just giving an example of what it takes for the pad to work. From a better understanding of the function of the pad, my point was that you should go ahead and go with your proposed idea.
:cool:

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
goodstuff, my comment wasn't aimed at you. I've used Deflex pads before too.

I can't say exactly what effects it had. I know it didn't hurt performance.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
goodstuff, my comment wasn't aimed at you. I've used Deflex pads before too.

I can't say exactly what effects it had. I know it didn't hurt performance.
Yeah I swapped speakers at the same time I put in deflex pads so I don't have an A/B reference.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I was doing more thinking and I think instead of a standoff on the back of the speaker magnet that the pad could be attached to an L bracket and then to the bottom of the inside of the door. The reason is well if we are trying to keep sound from reflecting back onto the back of the cone then whatever I use for a standoff is going to defeat the purpose of this So I came up with the idea to use an L bracket attached to the bottom of the inside of the door Like this:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Why not just attach something to the back of the magnet?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not just attach something to the back of the magnet?
It might cause the backwave to deflect back on to the cone, defeating the whole purpose of the deflex pad.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ahhh. What are you trying to fix again?
I've used Deflex pads before and I didn't notice any difference.
Although I added the Deflex at the same time I deadened the door, so no A-B :(
...But I doubt I'd go out of my way to do this for marginal results.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
I think the point is, if you roll your windows down you are creating more noise and covering up any audible gains that the deflex pads are creating. With the windows up, the noise is somewhat contained and the deflex pads can break up the back waves. As soon as you roll the window down to a point where the glass is in between the driver and the pad, you're going to have so much noise it isn't going to matter. You don't do any critical listening with the windows down, driving around town.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts