DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As soon as you roll the window down to a point where the glass is in between the driver and the pad, you're going to have so much noise it isn't going to matter.
I think that's what some are missing. At no point with this method will the glass come in between the speaker and the pad which is the whole point of doing this. I guess that's why I drew the picture but it didn't help either. So all I will need to do is make an l shaped piece of metal and attach the deflex and screw it to the inside of the door between the back of the speaker and where the window will be when it rolls down.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yea but imagine there was no glass for a second.
When your driving with all that wind going into your ear, back waves are not going to matter at all.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yea but imagine there was no glass for a second.
When your driving with all that wind going into your ear, back waves are not going to matter at all.
I don't know why I would imagine no glass when I know it's there.
What if I never go over 30 on my way to work and have to sit at numerous stop lights? I'm not going 65 all the time and the point is why do anything if you are that convinced that road noise is going always going to trump the benefits? **** I wish my ac worked then I wouldn't have to worry about this, lol.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
I don't know why I would imagine no glass when I know it's there.
What if I never go over 30 on my way to work and have to sit at numerous stop lights? I'm not going 65 all the time and the point is why do anything if you are that convinced that road noise is going always going to trump the benefits? **** I wish my ac worked then I wouldn't have to worry about this, lol.
Deflex pads work in theory, for the higher frequencies, but they only make a small difference at best. What people are trying to say is that you will not hear a difference with or without pads if your windows are down, even at 20mph. For windows up, critical listening, they can help, but as soon as the window is opened the benefits are neutralized.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Not sure what your point is, but my comments are based upon A/B'ing and noticing no difference.
Did you use them in your latest install? I didn't see any in the doors in your pics of your install. Also, you have a big bar running behind the speakers so I can't see a deflex pad working in your install even if you had of used them.

I assume your experience with a/b'ing them would have been in your current install because you said this:

"This is my first serious install, with my previous experience being limited to swapping head units and speakers, and throwing a box in the trunk."

Yet I don't see that you used them so I assume you have not a/b'ed them. Besides, it's not like you can switch back and forth, you would need to tear the door panel off, remove the speakers then the pads, then reinstall everything then listen again. Pretty hard to tell much difference in that type of comparison.

Anyway, if you think they are retarded, ok, but I don't think you really know whether they do any good or not.

On a lighter note, your install looks pretty good.:)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
A little theoretical basis of the use of these things: Acoustic Residues / Science News

Some people swear by them, some think they're "retarded." Study up on the acoustic benefit and how they work, understand if your enviroment is suited and apply accordingly.

As a rule of thumb, the pad can only affect a certain portion of the sound spectrum. A 50 hz wave, for ex, will just go right around it because the pad cannot affect it; it's almost 20 ft long. In order to affect sound, it must get 1/4" of the wave. So it depends on the width of the pad and the depth of the troughs on the rings.

And for them to work correctly in your door, they should be at least 15* difference than the vertical plane of the cone. So not this " | | " but this " / | "

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A little theoretical basis of the use of these things: Acoustic Residues / Science News

Some people swear by them, some think they're "retarded." Study up on the acoustic benefit and how they work, understand if your enviroment is suited and apply accordingly.

As a rule of thumb, the pad can only affect a certain portion of the sound spectrum. A 50 hz wave, for ex, will just go right around it because the pad cannot affect it; it's almost 20 ft long. In order to affect sound, it must get 1/4" of the wave. So it depends on the width of the pad and the depth of the troughs on the rings.

And for them to work correctly in your door, they should be at least 15* difference than the vertical plane of the cone. So not this " | | " but this " / | "

I knew about the lows not being affected by them but when I read up on how to install I thought they said as flat as possible. The link was interesting but not sure how to apply any of that. I mean are you saying the delex pad is the wrong shape or I should consider a different apllication of some other type of product?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts