DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used both? I've always used the Deflex pads because Dynamat sent me a crap ton for a build and they've always worked great but I have a pair of the SS pads I forgot I had.

The Deflex pad is infinitely more flexible, softer, thinner, and lighter than the SS pad. It also has a bunch of holes in it vs. the solid rubber of the SS pad. I may be off here, but I'm thinking the Deflex pad might be better simply because it has more ridges and is softer but I really know nothing about the subject.

Input?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I use non.

Use CCF. Works the same and does the same.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which is fine and all but I already own the pads, and do not have any CCF, so I might as well use them. It's just which one, if either, is better than the other. If I had CCF, I'd use it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Deflex pad if anything.

Note: rubber is not the choice to absorb sounds with. They use rubber because its cheap and won't mold on you lol.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The deflex pads arent designed to absorb anything, the are meant to reflect the rear wavein multiple directions to keep it from returning dirrectly back to the cone. As a side note, ccf does not absorb sound either for the same reason it does not absorb water.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the SS pads being rubber might be better since they are harder. I've always had great luck with the Deflex pads, just curious about and functional differences.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just break up any sound that might reflect off the door skin and come back through the cone. I've liked the Deflex pads in my other installs, I really want to know if the SS pads are any better or worse than the Deflex pads for their intended application. I'm not trying to do anything tricky or out of the ordinary with them.

Just wanted to hear other users' experiences with both regarding installation ease and performance.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Altering the direction of the reflections requires something with a peak to valley difference at least 1/4 the wavelength of the target frequency.
Hmm...it seems like this is impossible to implement inside a car door to improve midbass response by deflecting the back waves.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Hmm...it seems like this is impossible to implement inside a car door to improve midbass response by deflecting the back waves.
That's my take and why I concentrate on acoustically reinforcing the baffle for door mounted speakers. Seal the back wave away and let it do what it wants. It's also likely that the side impact intrusion prevention beam is going to do about all you can do.

The other argument for trying to do something with the back wave is that reflections strike the back of the cone and interfere with its performance. This doesn't seem to be major problem in speaker enclosures. If it is a problem in a car door, I doubt it makes a detectable difference while driving. If it makes a difference in car off parked competing scenarios, most competitors have speakers in their doors anyway.

Vibration damper on the outer skin is different - resonance in the sheet metal is easy to hear. I've seen lots of people say that they applied vibration damper and a layer of CCF to the outer skin and had it make a big difference. They conclude from this that both treatments made significant contributions to the improvement. I've yet to see anyone apply vibration damper, listen or better yet measure, then go back in to add the layer of foam and re-evaluate. Nothing I've seen supports the idea that CCF adds anything at all.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's good info, Don. The door will be deadened, perhaps today even, if I decide to take the regulator out. MINI built the door a little weird so it's an odd job to say the least. I kind of miss my VWs with removable door skins right now. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts