DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, just wondering if anyone have used any types of degreasers for plastics. i sprayed some adhesieve on a plastic panel but would like to reapply a new tyep of material so i want to get the old material off. when i got it off, all the sticky residue is all over the place. is there some kind of degreaser that will not damage the plastic?

i hope the installers have come across something...thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
try simple green to remove the adhesive. then go over it again with windex to remove any simple green residue. If the simple green dosent work then you could try WD-40 or lighter fluid, then go over again with windex to remove the oily residue. And if none of those work then you could try some goo-gone. be careful with that though, I have found it can eat into some plastics.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Good ole' tone (acetone) should do it without causing any damage to the plastic. Just use a clean cotton cloth. Make sure to be in a well ventilated area though....the fumes can make you quite :?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Acetone should work quite well, however if you are doing it somewhere visible be careful because it can melt, or even liquify some plastics. Do a test patch first. Another option would be anything citrus oil based, such as de-solv-it or goo-gone. They are made specifically to break down adhesives and are safe on darn near everything(besides adhesives :))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.