DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I'm really debating getting a DEH-P880/800PRS. What I need to know is if I can run an active 3-way front stage with rear fill off of this unit. Am I correct in assuming that in order to run rear fill with this unit would be to run 2-ways up front? OR...since my front stage will be powered by a JL e6450, can I power the rear speakers with the HU's internal amp?

If this won't work, what would be some other HU/processor options to run a T/A'd 3-way front stage and rear fill?

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
It will do a two-way system...

do a search in reviews for an 880 pioneer ;)

quote>
First off, this deck has 5 volt preouts. Front, Rear, and Subwoofer channels. Some people try to shoot down this deck by pointing out that Eclipse decks offer 8 volt preouts.
quote>

·
Registered
667 Posts
The deck can do 2 way up front plus sub. Cannot do 3 way active plus sub. If you definte 3 way as tweeter, mid, and sub, you're good.

No, it won't do rear fill at the same time.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Not read my manual in a while that I think you can d-load, but IIRC you can only do three way (high/mid/sub) or front/rear/sub, and it only has three sets of RCA. Yes, wish it had more. It will run different xovers for front/rear, I'm running passives right now so I can have rears. I'm not sure what else you can do, aside from running external xovers of course. I had thought about running a xover on the sub out to add midbass because you can raise the sub xover high enough...if I can fit something in my doors. It really needs a fourth RCA set that is not xover'd to do whatever with, beyond that full xovers including BP for midbass on the fourth set would be great as well as T/A.

I have no idea if you can split the signals, I imagine you can, and process them with something else...but not sure how that would work or best way to do it. I have not seen anyone run high/mid/sub and rears.

·
Member Infinitum
2016 535i Msport
697 Posts
If you want to run a technically four way active (high/mid/bass/sub) and rer fill, then the 880 or 800 will not do it. At this point, I think you would need an assignable 10 channel processor to handle all the above, including rear fill. Pretty tall order.

What I would do in an Xb is to go with a three way active and rear fill,then I am pretty confident majority of the outboard processors could perform those task for you.
Hope it helps. BTW, I very happy with my 880. It i running active three way without rear fill.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I would do in an Xb is to go with a three way active and rear fill,then I am pretty confident majority of the outboard processors could perform those task for you.
Hope it helps. BTW, I very happy with my 880. It i running active three way without rear fill.
What outboard processor would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Remember that the 880/800's internal amp is also effected by your crossovers EQ and TA.

So if you're running rear fill, which is the MID/REAR rca out, you'll effectively bandpass your rear fill the same as your midrange/bass drivers.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You could do a three way active front stage if you used the sub channel for midbass. It will play high enough (250hz), depending on your needs. You could then use a splitter for on the midbass RCAs and run them to a sub amp and use its crossover to cut the frequency even lower. You'd have to use the gains to get the levels matched. As far as rear fill, however, you're SOL.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I'm gonna have to save some more money up and get a different HU. I could go with the Clarion DRZ9255 and forget about rear fill, or a cheaper HU and an external DSP.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You could do a three way active front stage if you used the sub channel for midbass. It will play high enough (250hz), depending on your needs. You could then use a splitter for on the midbass RCAs and run them to a sub amp and use its crossover to cut the frequency even lower. You'd have to use the gains to get the levels matched. As far as rear fill, however, you're SOL.
Wouldn't recommend that, only because the T/A on the midbass will affect the sub as well, probably not the best idea.

I split my tweeter out to do 3-way front, with the mids and tweets being within inches of each other, T/A doesn't affect it negatively.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wouldn't recommend that, only because the T/A on the midbass will affect the sub as well, probably not the best idea.

I split my tweeter out to do 3-way front, with the mids and tweets being within inches of each other, T/A doesn't affect it negatively.
Yeah but you cant do that with the 880prs because the lowest you can set the low pass crossover for the mid is 1.25kHz which is ideally too high for a proper 3-way front stage.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yeah but you cant do that with the 880prs because the lowest you can set the low pass crossover for the mid is 1.25kHz which is ideally too high for a proper 3-way front stage.

Which is why I sold it and went with the 9887 :) That can set a HP crossover on the tweeter out as low as 20hz.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts

Unless you use a xover or amp with phase for the sub, if it matters that much. Mine does not seem to. Or you can flip the wires on the subs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've given up on the 880/800prs. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna save for the Clarion, unless I change my mind again. If I decided to go 2-way, I'd probably go with a the Seas CA18RNX and 27TFFNC-G combo. But that just means even more stuff to buy.

I've already bought Dayton RS180-4 midbass, RS125-8 mids, Audax TM025F1 tweets. I also impulse-bought a couple Mpyre 65Ms. I'm still kinda up in the air about going 3-way because I don't know where to put the mids. I'm too lazy to fiberglass. The midbass/tweets will go in stock locations. I would have an easier time finding a place to put the RS52AN dome than a 4 or 5" cone mid. It looks like I'm gonna have alot of stuff to sell in a couple months.

Too many decisions...I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm trying to get this done before the baby comes in July.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I have a 880 because it was 200+ship and I didn't want to wait. I'll figure something out but same boat as you, I doubt I will be able to fit what I want in the doors and will stick with mids not midbass too. I usually don't have an issue with passive tweeters, I can EQ around that most of the time if I even have to. I swap tweeters, but most of my problems always seem to fall into mid/bass/sub areas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts