DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 GMC Sierra Denali and want to put a very high end stereo system in it. What is your opinion on where to start what to buy I am going to go active with a dsp for sure and have already modified the window pillars to fit 3.5 inch mids. But what would be perfect for that exact truck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well with custom A-pillars, you're already off to a good start. But I have a 14 Silverado with midrange in the factory dash locations, which is different from yours, and tweets in my A-pillars. Midbass in the factory door locations. But my active front staging is awesome. I still haven't EQed everything yet, but even with just the Helix Pro time alignment and crossovers, the imaging I achieved versus no DSP, is incredible. I'd definitely recommend a Helix DSP. I'm no expert and have not compared other brands, but I am thoroughly pleased with my SQ and the Helix computer software.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I now half focales165kx3. 3 way I the font ruuuning 2 mosconi d2 gladen 100.4 for active a helix dsp pro mk2. Also focal es130kx2 in rear all active through the helix dsp mk2. I used to have the focal fpx 4.800 but I like the mosconi much better even though its just my opinion. But after setting the dsp correctly I think it sounds much better using mosconi. The focal amp is great but I like mosconi better. Onee thing I'm sure of is that the mosconi amps sound much better than the focal amp. It's not cheap but it's worth it for the long term. Cannot go better than the helix mk2 but I haven't heard thehelix dsp ultra or the focal Utopia m 's that is supposed to be the greatest St up ever.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's some very nice equipment you have there. What are you using for a sub and sub amp? Also, I assume you are mounting the midrange drivers in the custom A-pillars. Where and how are you mounting the tweeters? I'd love to see pictures and/or a build log of the progress.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put the tweeters in the a pillars a little off axis but once you program it right in the helix dsp it sounds better off axis than right on. Give a more complete sound of where the instruments are if you were at a live concert. Many people have told me otherwise but once they heard the difference they did the same thing. I'm currently running a 10" jl audio 10w3v3 in a stealth box under the back seat with just a mono Alpine amp with subwoofer control on the helix director remote. Doesn't sound like much but it gets loud and is very clean. What kind of equipment do you use?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 2014 Double cab Silverado truck. Audiofrog GB25 midrange in the factory dash locations which are aimed parallel to the windshield angle and slightly inward. MB Quart QTD25 tweeters in custom A-pillars aimed at the front dome light. Quart QSD 6.5" midbass in the doors with plenty of Resonix and Noico deadening. Quart 5.25 mids in the rear doors and a JL Stealthbox under the back seat with twin 10TW1s. Kenwood Excellon HU to a Helix Pro DSP. Audiocontrol LC6.1200 amp for tweets, midrange, and rears. Rockford T400X2ad amp for the midbass. And JL Audio XD600/1 for the sub.

Tweets, midrange, and rears each have 125 watts available, (although tweeters I'm sure are not getting near that much power). Midbass have 200 watts each, and Stealthbox has 600 watts.

So far with no EQ adjustment, the system sou is super. I'm still learning how to measure and EQ the speakers which will hopefully happen soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you have some good stuff. I've always been curious about audiofrogs I've never heard them before and only heard good things. Mb quartz are rad too. I used to have the same as you in my old truck years ago and always felt they were underrated. I liked the tweeters slot although everyone says they are harsh. I was running Mb quartz with the precision power power class 450 amps and it sounded really good. But once I heard the focals I preferred focal. I'm thinking of replacing the focal es165kx3 with focal Utopia wrc 3 way active. In your opinion which do you think is the better set? Focal es165kx3 3 ways or the focal Utopia wrc series of 3 ways all active through the helix dsp pro mk2? Also have you set the rta pink noise with a mic on each individual speaker and set the distance delays for all speakers yet? If you haven't already done that you are really missing out on what your helix dsp can do. Makes a world of difference. Also try using Rew room eq wizard, that is the best for eq and rta. If you go that route and have any questions just ask. Like how to input the info to your dsp

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough to comment on the Focals although I've always considered them top notch. I've been pretty biased over the years with German made Quart speakers. Have had many PPI amps as well.

But as far as the Helix, I have set my time alignment and crossover points but have not EQed the individual speakers yet as I'm still learning how to do that. I may try the Auto-Tune function in the software first and see how that looks on REW. But like I say, I'm still learning how to measure and EQ. This is my first DSP I've ever owned and I do everything myself. I've had good quality stereo equipment in all my vehicles but never a DSP til just recently.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rta, if done right, by swiping the mic around your head speaker by speaker will set the eq for you and then from there on adjust the eq speaker by speaker until you get the sound for you. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to get the director remote for your dsp. It allows you to create your own multiple presets for different types of music plus it does much more than that really good subwoofer controls. It's like $280 but totally worth it. You would also absolutely love the heck Bluetooth with aptx for Bluetooth and the wifi control module to use the program on your phone and connect you wifi to the helix without the USB cable. It's actually a faster connection compared to the USB wire because it connects through the digital and optical plugs on the dsp and it's small easy to fit anywhere

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick question, have you ever used, heard, or heard about the helix brax series of dsp's? Supposedly those are the best but I have no idea?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have read about them on the Audiotech Fischer website but I have no experience with them. If you already have the DSP Pro mk2, I would think you already have about the best you can get.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey rib, if you need any advice on how to pgm your helix dsp let me know I might be able to help. Like, time alignment, rta, eq

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No sweat my brotha, just let me know and I'll be there for you. Im actually going to reprogram mine then too. Director remote also

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey ribrown, I was offered a pretty deal on the focal Utopias and was wondering what your opinion is. I am currently running 3 way focal es165kx3 and somebody asked me if I would want to buy a component set of focal Utopia 2 way number 6 and just use the es165kx mids. How do you think they would sound in comparison?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts