DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is a HT question... but I want some opinions from the car audio enthusiasts. I have a Denon AVR-85 reciever that I bought in early 2000. It's a 5.1 Dolby Digital reciever (no DTS) and I've been thinking of using my tax return (when it's that time) for a new reciever. I really really like the reciever I have (besides the no DTS and no S-video switching). I'm thinking of upgrading to a Denon AVR-2805 or a AVR-3805. Is Denon still some good high quality **** or not? I've read some posts on a few forums that Denon is wanna-be audiophile quality.. but regardless anyone have any Suggestions? I'm really torn between the 2805 & 3805. The 2805 is almost $200 cheaper than the 3805, but the 3805 has more options for the future. Does anything think the audio qaulity will be better on the 3805 (100 x 7 vs 120 x 7)?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
693 Posts
i dont have any experience with Denon's receivers, but i do have a Denon DCM-280 CD player. ive had it almost 2 years and i dont have any complaints at all about it. it's a good machine. as far as the comments you read...were they from people with ACTUAL experience or just repeateing what they have read? i have talked to several people that have great luck with Denon equipment.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure, the only real negative comment I've found (which basically states Denon is wanna-be audiophile quality) is this link :

http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-6466_7...geID=965486&tag=uolst&cval=965486&ctype=msgid

It's in regards to the AVR-5805 reciever though... the person that wrote it could just be a snob. Regardless I find the Denon I have to be wonderful, the SQ is better than the recievers I've heard from Yamaha, Kenwood, JVC, Onkyo, and Sony (from the time period of when I purchased mine). Mine does not distort (even with my low end speakers) at almost full volume.

Ryan

·
Registered
693 Posts
if i had $6,000 to spend on a receiver i would have done my homework a little better. IMO...for those of us that just want a nice budget HT system, i think any receiver in the $200-$500 range will work just fine. i have a Sony STR-DE597 receiver. it has the features and power i wanted and i got a great deal on it. it's not the best out there but it works great for what i want. i say go for either of those Denons.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Outlaw Audio looks sweet but I can get the Denon AVR-3805 for about $675 and the AVR-2805 for about $500.

Ryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Sony DE-895... I think I bought it for $300 new... I really like the Outlaw stuff, and I didn't realize you were on a budget (like me :) ). I like my Sony, I use it in my Home Theater with Vifa/Dayton homebrew speakers and a Dayton IB sub setup... It really does the job for $300.

I like Dennon also. As a matter of fact, the 38xx series is nice. At the time I was doing my CHEAP home theater.. $$ was short if I wanted some decent speakers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Denon still makes some quality stuff, Its better than all the other brands you mentioned. I think the sound quality could be better but for the price they have a lot of features.

If you want some other options you can look at
Accessories4Less , they sell refurbished Marantz receivers starting at $229.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Kramerica said:
I have bought a Marantz receiver from them and had no problems with the transaction or the receiver. I am a Denon guy, but I really like my Marantz!

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Use it as a pre-amp/dts+dd decoder... but I'd use something with a little more balls for an amplifier. Prosound stuff is usually a really good buy if you don't mind the fans.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kramerica said:
Holy crap thanks for the link!! I know Marantz is some good ****! I got my eye on the Marantz SR7400 now. From looking up some reviews on the SR7400 (in direct comparison to the Denon AVR-3805) it seems to be a better buy (it's cheaper) and has better SQ (though it lacks the auto tuning feature with the mircrophone). Man oh man I kinda got the urge to save up and extra $600 and just get the top of the line Marantz and be done with a new reciever for a long long time but I'll probably just go with the SR7400 or the SR7500. Now if I could afford some better home speakers... The wife and me are trying to buy a house soon so money's kinda tight so when the tax return comes around it's about the only chance I get to buy something rather nice.

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

Ryan

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have an old Denon 3802 and a new 3805 (family room and bedroom), both are great receivers. The sound is excellent (I run Klipsch Reference and JBL Studio speakers).

Denon has a lot of features so you will not be missing anything. I highly recommend them to people that ask me.

TT

·
Registered
578 Posts
I read a review a couple of years ago about Denons then flagship receiver (170x5) by a reputable magazine... the SQ was never an issue, as it hardly ever is & should be if you have good speakers...

That link to that review is very vague... I would have given it some credit had he at least made some comparisons & specified the setup he used... But in the way it was written, it sounds like another x-brand hater...

If you are still looking check out Onkio & harman kardon receivers in your price range as well...

·
Registered
122 Posts
OK, first of, denon and marantz are both owned by the same company d&m holdings, so both are comperable products. The old 3802 is a great piece, the newer 3805 is also awesome. I would wait a month before buying anything though. I was at cedia today, and saw the new recievers comming out this upcoming months. It will push the price down on the current line. They are introducing a new mid-line model. As far as marantz goes, the 8500 is the bargain piece. It is the only processor in its price range that has dvi switching. Pioneer will be releasing a reciever next month in the same pricerange that will be doing hdmi switching, but personaly, i dont really like the newer pioneers as much.
Hans

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have no issues with Denon's or Marantz's quality, but from a pure sonic perspective I would suggest a somewhat offbeat and less-prestigious choice: the Panasonic SA-XR55. It does not use conventional amps, but the TI Equibit DAC/amp chips (D/A conversion and amplification are the same process) that are the offshoot of TacT's work on the ultra-high-end. It's small and light, looks kinda cheap, has a somewhat annoying remote and (the only real issue of concern to me) somewhat coarse level and distance adjustments (1dB and 1 foot, respectively), but at $230 or so new it's the best deal in home audio right now.

According to a review in the German magazine Stereoplay, in two-channel mode (where it automatically bridges several amp channels) it puts out 93/120/169/206/238 watts per channel into 8/6/4/3/2 ohms, respectively. Into seven channels it was measured to put out 86wpc [edit]into 8 ohms[/edit] before clipping. Much more expensive HK, Sony, and Yamaha receivers could not match its output. Nor, according to a recent test, will the forthcoming four-figure Pioneer Elite (VSX-74 or something like that).

As for how it sounds, subjectively it is every bit the equal of of the mid four-figures worth of "mid-fi" separate components (Marantz pre/proc, Adcom amps) that it replaced in my system. As long as your speakers don't require an arc-welder it's might be worth a look.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, I just bought the SA-XR55K at J&R. I need a new receiver for my office anyway.

TT

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Cool... i need to buy an amp for the home... but that will have to wait a little while... :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts