DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So alot of people are always wanting to know about the differences in the hu's.

So I have taken my time to put this together for you all. ENJOY :)

DCT-1

INFO: Google Translate

MANUAL PDF: Google Translate

DCT-100

DCT-900

DCT-1000

DCT-2000

DCT-A1

DCT-A100

DCT-A1000

DCT-R1

DCT-R10

DCT-Z1

DCA-760BL

DCA-660BL

AK-191/AK-192

Info about the DCH-470 & AK191 & AK192

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/general/Denon_Z1.pdf

DENON

Extra goodies

Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Translate

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok so after some looking at the specs... are they all RIDICULOUSLY similar or am i just missing something?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
yup.

the denfords have dual 20-bit bb dacs and the balanced outputs are the same as zapco's symbilink connector (the reason i use the denford). the 8250 has aux-in and a copper chassis; the 8240 does not.

i must say these decks ALL simply kick ass.

cheers,
ben

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard some people where needing info on the Denon hu's so bump it to the top

·
Banned
34 Posts
i run a 'denford' and love it. when i was looking to purchase one, i came across this post and found it to be very informative.

i love mine, although if i had the money, i'd swap in a mcintosh mx406 in a heartbeat...

:)

OldOneEye 01-14-2004, 06:14 PM

Well, since I didn't post the original posts about the Rockford Platinum CD players, I wanted to find one place that I could look to (and I could get email notification) if people had questions about this unit. So I decided to post this, and hopefully help people out.

Some of the FAQs I have heard that I can answer so far:

Is this a Rockford Fosgate unit that was built to closely resemble a Denon unit, but is actually a cheap CD player (like some of the other less reputable manufacturers might do)?
This CD player was built by Denon for Rockford Fosgate. It is made in Japan (I have one myself, looked at the label on the bottom, not too much stuff is made in Japan anymore, but usually some other places in Asia because of higher costs in Japan).

The Denon version controls a changer, does this one control a changer?

The back of the head unit has cutout for where the changer plug would have connected, but it is an empty hole. Typically its easier to leave the software in and get rid of the hardware, so the controls are probably there, just no changer plug on the back. I'm not sure if anything can be done, but if you are handy you might be able to do something. Finding a matching changer might not be very easy as well.

Someone said it has a coaxial digital output, is that true?
No, it has a coaxial digital input, something that would allow an outboard changer to plug in and use the internal DAC built into the unit.

What was the retail on this thing?
In Japan, you see these anywhere from $1200 - $1500 for the RF unit and about the same for a comparable Denon unit.

Is this the famous Denon Z-1 CD player?
No, it is comparable to the "original" A1N with a 20 bit DAC. Does this have a true analog volume control? No, it has a digital control. The treble, bass, fader and balance are controlled through there as well.

Where can I find an owner's manual?
It's not extremely informative, but here it is: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2002/1_Source_Units/MAN4223A_RFX8240-50_Pla_MAN.pdf

What kind of finish does it have?
The regular has a brushed aluminum finish, with the Titanium version having gold buttons and volume knob.

How do I mount the thing?
It is an ISO mount (drops right in to many Toyotas, Nissan, some Hondas). If you have something else, you will have to do a little work to get it to fit (custom brackets, trim plate, etc.). It doesn't come with a DIN trim piece, so something will have to be made.

Does it play MP3 and/or CDR?
The units are CD only, no MP3. They will play some CDR, but your mileage may vary depending on media and recording speed. No information as far as CDRW.

Does it have balanced outputs?
Yes, it has a front and rear, using the balanced mini-DIN that Zapco, older Soundstream and RF have been using (RF with the EPX2 and the BLT). I'm not sure if it is a powered or non-powered connection on the head unit. Some Zapco units need +/- 15 volts to work, so if this unit has +/- 15 volts you won't need to buy a seperate power supply.
Here is a picture of pin outs:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/pdf2055c21a5d31fe10d53d85eef270dc/f9f37be7.jpg
Comcast

Does it need a connector to use the balanced output?

Some mentioned you do need a Denon piece, but here are the pictures for both of them:
http://denon.jp/products/images/products/AK191.gif
http://denon.jp/products/images/products/AK192.gif

From the looks of it, it allows you to use the Denon (which has the ethernet type of plug) with the mini-DIN or the mini-DIN with a eternet type of component (like some of the Phoenix Gold stuff).
My guess is that a Zapco mini-DIN cable would work fine.

How does the AUX in work?
Looks like all you do is hold down a button on the radio and it goes into AUX mode. Plus you can adjust the level relative to the output of the radio to make sure they are at the same relative volume (so its a preamp for the AUX input).

What is the face made out of?
Unobtainium. Well, actually alumimum, kind of like a Nakamichi CD700.

Does it have a remote control, or can I add one?
No and no.

Does it have a sub-output?
No. It has front and rear RCA outputs?

Does it clip at full output?
Yes, but 1 or 2 clicks below the maximum on the digital volume control and you are at full output.

What does it look like?
Here is a picture of the Titanium model: http://www.s91717860.onlinehome.us/pic1.jpg
The back of the same unit above: http://www.s91717860.onlinehome.us/pic2.jpg

What are some of the specs?

Here is what we got from the owners manual:

1. Audiophile components throughout
  2. Dual 20-bit Platinum D/A converters
  3. Full copper-plated chassis for superior noise rejection
  4. Platinum finish metal alloy faceplate
  5. Balanced 8V line outputs with dual mini-DIN connectors
  6. Coaxial digital input
  7. Metal alloy rotary encoder knob
  8. Dual preamp outputs with double shielded cables and metal RCA connectors
  9. Low impedance 50 ohms/5V preamp output 24 FM / 12 AM presets with auto memory store
  10. Auxiliary RCA inputs Backlit LCD display with clock Switchable red/green illumination color
  11. Mute function Bass & treble controls +/- 12 dB @ 100 Hz & 10 KHz 100 dB dynamic range / 86 dB channel Separation
  12. No built-in power - outboard amplification required

Where do I get the cables to run balanced?
Beats me, hopefully some of the people that have bought these who are on a budget will find a nice alternative and post. I have heard PS/2 cables to Zapco cables and every price in between.

Does it have switchable illumination?
Yes, orange and green.

I heard this thing can't be fixed! What do I do if it breaks?
Rockford plans for stuff like this, usually keeping some units in stock, usually decided by anticipated failure rates.

What about the RFX-8240?
Let's see, same price, no aux in, same internals. Would you pay just as much for a unit that doesn't have an AUX in? I wouldn't.

Where else has this thing been discussed?

Soundillusions Forum (http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=32109&page=1&pp=15)

More at Canadian Car Audio Forum (top ten decks - Page 2 - Canadian Car Audio - Canada’s #1 Car Audio Forum)

[ January 15, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: OldOneEye ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have and 8250 Ti. My problem lies with the cd player itself. The player will not play or eject a cd. Can anyone help. Thank you.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us out! Nice and very helpful post.

Less

·
Registered
880 Posts
i run a 'denford' and love it. when i was looking to purchase one, i came across this post and found it to be very informative.

i love mine, although if i had the money, i'd swap in a mcintosh mx406 in a heartbeat...

:)
Just find a deal on a MX4000 instead! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a (BNIB) Denon / RF 8250. The copper chassis and 20 bit dac's were a nice touch. It sounded pretty good, fairly smooth, nothing offensive. They're a bargain too and trade at £200 - 250 tops. While the Z1 is x4 the price.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Once you try McIntosh or high end Naks you will never use anything else.

>^..^<

1 - 20 of 34 Posts