DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build a speaker cabinet but it is not for a car audio application, hopefully I can still get help here. What I want to build is an "Iso Cab" which basically is a recording cabinet. My tube guitar amp has to be way too loud to get to the sweet spot, so I need to build a cabinet that will keep as much of the noise in so I can crank the amp without getting evicted. Inside the cabinet there will be a microphone that will capture my sounds to be recorded into the computer.

The cabinet is going to have a single 12" speaker. It will have a partition in the middle where the speaker will be mounted. Basically it will be two cubes together with the speaker between them. I will put some type of foam in all the walls to help keep the noise contained. I have to have one of the sides able to open so I can adjust the mic which will be mounted on a goose neck.

Here is a picture to give you and idea:

What I would like to do is to be able to use some sort of software or web tool that allows me to get a cut list. I do not have the tools to cut the plywood at home (I don't even have the means to get it home) and I will buy the plywood at Home Depot and have them precisely cut it for me. Hopefully this tool will also give me instructions how the pieces fit. I would like to do this only once as I am a bit clumsy for this kind of thing.

Any ideas as to what I could use? The only requirement I have is that the internal measurements for each chamber to be 14"x14"x14" and I would like to add some sort of border on the side where I will have to install a hinged door.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I do not have the tools to cut the plywood at home (I don't even have the means to get it home) and I will buy the plywood at Home Depot and have them precisely cut it for me.
that will never happen. lowes/hd use ripsaws to cut down wood and they are anything but accurate. if you rely on their cuts your box will not end up good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
that will never happen. lowes/hd use ripsaws to cut down wood and they are anything but accurate. if you rely on their cuts your box will not end up good.
I agree. I, along with a few of my friends, have not had good luck with them in the past. Anymore I get them to rip down a sheet into more manageable pieces if I don't have the means to get a full sheet home. I would suggest something similar. Also, if you are having them rip plywood I would be fairly concerned about some nasty tear-out.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can assure you that whatever they cut will be better than what I can cut as I have no tools. What other options do I have? I am trying to keep my cost down.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
you would be better off buying a used circular saw from cl and cutting it yourself. you can then resell the saw when you are done. believe me, if you have them make the cuts using their ripsaw the box will not be a good one.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't want to hear it! I don't want to hear it! I don't want to hear it! You are raining on my parade.

OK, fine.

I didn't see that one coming. Is there any type of saw that will have a mechanism to help me with straight cuts? Maybe a mechanism that will allow me to follow a straight edge on the board itself? I have no experience with them and I need all the help I can get to make a straight cut. I am going to have them cut it anyway into more manageable bits I can get in my car, cut to the size I really need at home.

I like the CL idea, and I have seen a bunch of tools like that at pawn shops as well.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is a ripsaw anyway? What I have seen at Home Depot has a circular blade and a huge frame to help position the board before cutting. The saw itself is mounted on rails to ensure a straight cut. I have a piece of plywood that was cut at Home Depot, I needed a piece to replace an attic cover and I have a piece of the wood left over. What am I looking for as a "bad cut"?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't want to hear it! I don't want to hear it! I don't want to hear it! You are raining on my parade.

OK, fine.

I didn't see that one coming. Is there any type of saw that will have a mechanism to help me with straight cuts? Maybe a mechanism that will allow me to follow a straight edge on the board itself? I have no experience with them and I need all the help I can get to make a straight cut. I am going to have them cut it anyway into more manageable bits I can get in my car, cut to the size I really need at home.

I like the CL idea, and I have seen a bunch of tools like that at pawn shops as well.
they make circular saws with laser guides so that may help. personally, i just use a metal yardstick and a pair of clamps. clamp the yardstick down in a position so the saw blade cuts where you want and go to town.

What is a ripsaw anyway? What I have seen at Home Depot has a circular blade and a huge frame to help position the board before cutting. The saw itself is mounted on rails to ensure a straight cut. I have a piece of plywood that was cut at Home Depot, I needed a piece to replace an attic cover and I have a piece of the wood left over. What am I looking for as a "bad cut"?
in the sense i am using it the term "ripsaw" is just the large, generic circular saw you found at home depot. it's ok for making non-precision cuts for uses just like your attic, but not good for boxes. you want tight, good cuts on all sides so when you put the box together you don't have edges sticking out or worse pieces that won't form a tight bond when glued. the more you use a tool the less precise it will end up being, it's just a fact of life. something as large as their cutting setup that gets used very often will slowly shift over time, and home depot is not spending the money to have it dialed in time after time.

there are lots of threads about how off the cuts can be, even on this site alone. this was the first one that showed up on a google. 5/8" of an inch may not sound like much but your box will look like ass from it :)

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/93988-post5.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts