DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I’m working on a system for my new Stelvio. I’m installing Audio Frog Speakers next week. GB60 mounted to the door and GB25 mounted to the door card.

I need some advice on dampening. I have 12” squares of Resonix and some butyl rubber rope. I can buy anything else if need be.
I see that the first priority many people have is to seal any holes on the door frame “cover” - the black piece in my first pic. This is to create somewhat of a sealed enclosure. I don’t seem to have any holes in my cover, so I’m good on that right?

Their second priority is to stop resonance on the “cover” and the door skin (the Sheet metal that is actually on the exterior of the car). If you look at my pics, you’ll see that my cover is plastic and has a lot of protrusions from the molding process. And my door skin is barely accessible. I can get maybe one piece on the speaker hole (6”, you can see the white color in the hole).
Do I need to cut every contour of that plastic? What if I try to use the 12” sheet whole and just mold them to the plastic best I can? If I can only get a few square inches on the skin itself through that speaker hole, do I just live with that? Or is it worth it to completely disassemble the cover. That looks like a whole lot of work.
Finally, the 2.5” GB25 will mount to the door card itself. Do I need to dampen the door card at all for such a small speaker? If so, how much coverage should I target?

thanks so much for any help!

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory

Black Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Gadget

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks similar to the Giulia.

To get the access panel off, you have to remove the window and door handle. I couldn’t figure out/desire to take the door handles off, so I didn’t take mine off. At minimum if you undo the bolts there is space to slide in large sheets as far back as you can reach.

The panel is pretty stiff, I only deadened the large flat spots. You already got a decoupler too, which is nice.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I would start with decoupling that ABS piece from the door metal with stripes of thin neoprene or similar material...maybe from Resonix line of products since you already using their damping sheets. Then I would try to apply as much material on that plastic piece as possible - cut small pieces, you will have trouble to apply the whole sheet, and it will have very little contact with the ABS piece. To easy things you might check some different damping material like Brax ExVibration Paste or similar, which will be much easyer to apply. You can also combine both materials. If you want to do this properly, then it will definitely take some extra time.Check if the inner part of that ABS piece is more flat, if yes, then apply damping on that side if it doesnt interfere with side window movement.
On the area of speaker cutout, you can apply a decent quantity of filler with strands and then put over it damping plate - this will make your "speaker ring" much more sturdy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts