DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the P99 have a bright sound signature ? Some installer have comments that it is too sharp and bright ,will felt fatigue after prolong listening ? Any input on this ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
797 Posts
Does the P99 have a bright sound signature ? Some installer have comments that it is too sharp and bright ,will felt fatigue after prolong listening ? Any input on this ?

If the sound retrieval mode is turned on it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

Absolutely not. If it sounds "bright" it's a tuning issue and nothing else!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Anybody have experience with iPhone 5 compability? Mainly what connection cord to use, and how Pandora/Spotify work.

I may have accidentally bought a P99RS without checking this first :confused:

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
ALAC played through ipod classic.

The ipod interface on the pioneer is stellar
Also you won't get any higher quality than that.
The P99RS bypasses the iPod DAC so which iPod you use won't matter.

I'm not into the Ipod stuff. And I didn't buy this high end unit to play MP3s either. I would think WAV is the way to go.
ALAC isn't .mp3, it's lossless. A damned good one at that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My friend has an iPhone 5. Works with the P99 just the same as his previous iPhone 4. Also works with the third generation iPad. :)

The P99 is a very good bang-for-the-buck head unit. Also competition proven where I'm at.

Yes, there is a steep learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, tuning actually becomes straightforward. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
The P99RS bypasses the iPod DAC so which iPod you use won't matter.

ALAC isn't .mp3, it's lossless. A damned good one at that.

Yuuuup. Thats one of the greatest features of the unit (bypassing the DAC's)

I simply stated classic because its the ideal ipod imo. If utilizing a format such as ALAC, WAV etc, the high capacity comes in handy. No other Ipod offers 160gigs.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Yuuuup. Thats one of the greatest features of the unit (bypassing the DAC's)

I simply stated classic because its the ideal ipod imo. If utilizing a format such as ALAC, WAV etc, the high capacity comes in handy. No other Ipod offers 160gigs.
Ah, gotcha. I agree. My old iPod video is on its last legs so a classic might be in my near future.

·
18,356 Posts
Has anyone tried to use the iPad mini with this deck? In general, I imagine most other decks operate the same. I'm wondering if you could use the iPad as a source and simply have it sit there and look cool. Most decks bypass the isource's interface entirely essentially locking you out of using it. I could test with my gen1 iPad but it's possible it'd behave differently.

Anyway... just wondering.

·
18,356 Posts
Has anyone tried to use the iPad mini with this deck? In general, I imagine most other decks operate the same. I'm wondering if you could use the iPad as a source and simply have it sit there and look cool. Most decks bypass the isource's interface entirely essentially locking you out of using it. I could test with my gen1 iPad but it's possible it'd behave differently.

·
Registered
312 Posts
is bypassing the interface the same as bypassing the DAC's?
with the P99 you can choose to still use the ipod interface if you like too.

lol, i'll try a mini in a few weeks with my new install if you don't have a definite answer by then :p

·
Registered
226 Posts

I suppose if the iPhone 5 works with the P99, the iPad mini would too. They both use the new "Lightning" connector.

The P99 allows you to choose how to select songs from the iDevice. You can use the head unit, which locks-out the iDevice interface, or you can use the iDevice, making the P99 work like a simple aux-in. :)

If I have a passenger who has his/her own iDevice, I set the P99 to the second mode. Otherwise, it is in the first mode.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
With individual EQ DSPs (EQ on each driver) I use to EQ first off instead. Takes about a hour or so, you're using the AUX input on the front panel via a laptop right? Much better than using a CD with PN.
i just purchased a long cable to connect laptop audio to aux input- so i can generate pink noise from the trueRTA.

why do you think this is better than playing a CD with pink noise? thanks.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
i just purchased a long cable to connect laptop audio to aux input- so i can generate pink noise from the trueRTA.

why do you think this is better than playing a CD with pink noise? thanks.
You'll have higher flexibility with direct control from a laptop. You can run several types of noise, sine sweeps, MLS sweeps - these you extract additional data from via FFT. These can be recorded inside an app like aRTA and saved as a wav file, a Memory card/CD can then be used for playback, it's just inconvenient. I recommend using aRTA in combination with RoomEQ, they have more features than most people asks for.

Major reasons why laptop generated is better than CD-PN:

*Easier control by far... imo
*Adjust level directly from the computer (including left-right channel mute)
*Look for resonances with generated tones
*Initial impulse can be used for measuring of T/A and phase
*Distortion measurements (sweeps and single tone via RTA)
*Group delay/waterfall/HD vs FR graphs/phase-impulse response measurements
*MLS allows for gated measurements (limited usability because of low resolution with fast gate times, which is required to eliminate sound contribution from early reflections)

-- Note that RTA/PN and swept sine are not the same thing. RTA in combination with pink noise plays all frequencies at the same time. Sine sweeps does only one tone at a time. Pink noise can be uncorrelated or correlated as well. Stereo noise is uncorrelated and mono noise is referred as correlated. Measure FR in stereo and T/A with mono PN if you use this approach --

·
Registered
797 Posts
The only problem I see with using a laptop is that you FR from the auxiliary input is not going to be the same as the FR from the CD transport. There will be some degradation of the signal due to the fact that you are at the mercy of the analog source of the laptop which then goes through an A/D converter to be processed digitally and then back to analog. Makes more sense to me to start with the source that you will be using to listen to music.

·
Registered
797 Posts
For measurement purposes that difference would be neglectable imo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.
You would be surprised how much a half db makes in overall tonality...but then again, not everyone is building their system for competition either.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
You'll have higher flexibility with direct control from a laptop. You can run several types of noise, sine sweeps, MLS sweeps - these you extract additional data from via FFT. These can be recorded inside an app like aRTA and saved as a wav file, a Memory card/CD can then be used for playback, it's just inconvenient. I recommend using aRTA in combination with RoomEQ, they have more features than most people asks for.

Major reasons why laptop generated is better than CD-PN:

*Easier control by far... imo
*Adjust level directly from the computer (including left-right channel mute)
*Look for resonances with generated tones
*Initial impulse can be used for measuring of T/A and phase
*Distortion measurements (sweeps and single tone via RTA)
*Group delay/waterfall/HD vs FR graphs/phase-impulse response measurements
*MLS allows for gated measurements (limited usability because of low resolution with fast gate times, which is required to eliminate sound contribution from early reflections)

-- Note that RTA/PN and swept sine are not the same thing. RTA in combination with pink noise plays all frequencies at the same time. Sine sweeps does only one tone at a time. Pink noise can be uncorrelated or correlated as well. Stereo noise is uncorrelated and mono noise is referred as correlated. Measure FR in stereo and T/A with mono PN if you use this approach --
thanks for the info. i am definitely going to try it. do you have any links for impulse measuring to determine T/A? I tried searching but could not find much. My truerta does have impulse.

181 - 200 of 1122 Posts