DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
thats pretty low for a tweeter :l damagingly low I think? should i leave my amp filter on for the tweeter??
I just said that it won't go lower. I believe stardard setting is 6300Hz/12dB ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello everyone ..... Does anyone know whether the p99 can play audio files in FLAC format.....I tried but no luck......now I guess I have to convert them to 320kpbs format. As I am in the process of ripping my.cds to preferably flac for my USB
As carrying so many cds around is a bit inconvenient. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Hello everyone ..... Does anyone know whether the p99 can play audio files in FLAC format.....I tried but no luck......now I guess I have to convert them to 320kpbs format. As I am in the process of ripping my.cds to preferably flac for my USB
Only 2 HU in existence play .flac files and the P99RS isn't one of them...

Kelvin

·
Registered
226 Posts
Only 2 HU in existence play .flac files and the P99RS isn't one of them...

Kelvin
Yup. Sad but true.

Convert them to WAV. I use Foobar to do this. Then I file them in an external hard drive.

Just make sure to convert your FLACs to 16bit/44.1kHz WAV files, and use a USB 2.0 hard drive with a maximum partition size of of 250GB formatted to FAT32. :)

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Yup. Sad but true.

Convert them to WAV. I use Foobar to do this. Then I file them in an external hard drive.

Just make sure to convert your FLACs to 16bit/44.1kHz WAV files, and use a USB 2.0 hard drive with a maximum partition size of of 250GB formatted to FAT32. :)
x2

If you absolutely must have "uncompressed" quality and can live with the added file size over lossless, then WAV is the only option.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I recommend VBR Mp3 v0 or v1 (223k~). Pretty much CD quality and takes up much less space ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
To be closer to your lossless goal I bet the P99RS also plays AAC converted at close to 400 kbps. I run my P88RS with aac 380 kbps with a CD UB100 USB. Still lossy though but very close to CD quality. Space is cheap right?
I thought the p99RS could play wav trough USB? Too bad flac is not an option yet.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
To be closer to your lossless goal I bet the P99RS also plays AAC converted at close to 400 kbps. I run my P88RS with aac 380 kbps with a CD UB100 USB. Still lossy though but very close to CD quality. Space is cheap right?
I thought the p99RS could play wav trough USB? Too bad flac is not an option yet.
Here's from the manual. My only space concern is when I have over 2000 songs on an iPod. iPod space ain't cheap ;)

MP3 decoding format ...........MPEG-1 & 2 Audio Layer 3

WMA decoding format ......... Ver. 7, 7.1, 8, 9, 10, 11 (2ch
audio) (Windows Media Player)

AAC decoding format ............MPEG-4 AAC (iTunes encoded
only) (.m4a) (Ver. 7.7 and earlier)

WAV signal format .................. Linear PCM & MS ADPCM (Non-compressed)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I thought the p99RS could play wav trough USB?
Yes it can. The P99RS can play WAV files through USB. :)

My wife has a 64GB iPod Touch and i have a 120GB iPod classic. I can hook these up to the P99RS via its USB port. Out of the hundreds of albums on these iDevices, only one or two are in WAV. The others are mostly in MP3 or AAC format. I normally don't use WAV on iDevices because:
1. No metadata in WAV files - meaning no album art and song information.
2. iPod space is expensive and limited. :eek:

For my P99RS, I use a old CHEAP 500GB external USB hard drive. Cheap meaning I bought it brand new for under US$40. Its a Samsung USB 2.0 hard drive that I cut into two FAT32 partitions. The P99RS "sees" only the first partition. This is good for me because that's where I file all the songs I want to hear at the moment. Then I use my computer to move to the second partition the songs I'm tired of hearing but want to keep. :)

All the songs on that hard drive are in WAV format, ripped from the original CDs using Exact Audio Copy. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
So first using Exact Audio Copy an older version I ripped a test cd to 320kpbs.....

But there was a huge difference between that and CD quality. I kept the original cd and my usb ripped version of it and alternatively played them.

320kpbs songs to me lacked depth, punch and detail and seemed "light" if I could explain it that way. No patch on cd

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yup. Sad but true.

Thanks. I did exactly what you said. But used Switch Sound file converter to convert the Flac files into 16bit/44.1 wav files.

I still noticed a difference. Not as much as the 320kpbs songs vs CD.

Some people say its a placebo but I definitely heard a difference in CD vs. Wav.

I would say at most a 5% difference but it was still there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
x2

If you absolutely must have "uncompressed" quality and can live with the added file size over lossless, then WAV is the only option.
Are you sure that the WAV files are exact CD quality . I mean they take up alot of space so I assume they are but I did notice a difference as I mentioned above.

My CD songs just sounded as if they had more depth and punch . The WAV files of the same songs seemed to lack that and seemed more electronic.

If you are sure that it is an exact replica I do not mind purchasing the external hard drive USB maybe go for one with 3.0

Is the external USB option compatible with the P99. Do you plug it with a wire into the USB jack in the dashboard?

And is there any specific model that is compatible with the P99?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess FLAC compatibility would solve the issue easily. Flac sounds beautiful even on my computer........

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are you sure that the WAV files are exact CD quality . I mean they take up alot of space so I assume they are but I did notice a difference as I mentioned above.

My CD songs just sounded as if they had more depth and punch . The WAV files of the same songs seemed to lack that and seemed more electronic.

If you are sure that it is an exact replica I do not mind purchasing the external hard drive USB maybe go for one with 3.0

Is the external USB option compatible with the P99. Do you plug it with a wire into the USB jack in the dashboard?

And is there any specific model that is compatible with the P99?
When I used Foobar to convert 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 WAV, yes there was a difference when heard on good-quality headphones and on my home audio system. A little narrower stage width. Slightly shallower stage depth. Some loss of low-level details. But I don't have that many 24/96 FLACs to begin with.

When I used EXACT AUDIO COPY in "Secure Mode" to rip an original audio CD to WAV, there was no audible difference both on headphones and on my home audio system. EAC is the defacto standard for converting "Red Book" CD audio to WAV.

So these WAV files are what makes it on to the USB hard drive that I use with my P99RS.

On another note, my friends and I have tested several USB 3.0 hard drives with the P99. Seagate, Western Digital and Samsung. All three will work as long as it is plugged directly into the USB lead of the P99 - not using the USB extension cable that comes with the P99. When this cable is used, the P99 was unable to read the USB 3.0 hard drive.

But USB 2.0 works every time. :)

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
okay so then which are the 2 hu that play flac files?
There is/was a Sony Xplod HU that is able to play .flac files and for 2013, Kenwood is releasing, an entry level unit :(, that can play .flac files <-- download the catalog to see the HU #

Kelvin

241 - 260 of 1122 Posts