DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

501 - 520 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Subscribed.

I'm experiencing a little trouble with adjustments on my P99.

it sounds great, but i know it can get way better.
swiched from an 80PRS, two month ago.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
you guys are catching the tail end of this one, if you have any questions please post. still running the P99, going strong and i use it constantly and it allows my system to sound incredible.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I couldn't help but notice Stage 4 has lost a tab on the Pioneer USA website. And the P99 got a special mention in the Crutchfield flyer this week. And the head of Pioneer NA has resigned. I'm just wondering aloud.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question for you P99 experts:

Can you run a full bandwidth signal out of each channel (high, med., low)? Or do you have to work with the x-over parameters listed in the manual?

I'm mostly curious about running a quasi-active set up out of the high channel. It would be a HAT L4 bi-amped with their L1 using HAT x-overs. Is it possible to run a full signal out of the high channel out of the P99 and set a high pass of around 400Hz at the amp?

I'd want to keep the mid, low, and sw channels for something else. :) Just going over some system designs in my mind. I've checked out the manuals for the P99 and it is not clear to me if you can run full bandwidth signals out of the high channel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts

Can you run a full bandwidth signal out of each channel (high, med., low)? Or do you have to work with the x-over parameters listed in the manual?

I'm mostly curious about running a quasi-active set up out of the high channel. It would be a HAT L4 bi-amped with their L1 using HAT x-overs. Is it possible to run a full signal out of the high channel out of the P99 and set a high pass of around 400Hz at the amp?

I'd want to keep the mid, low, and sw channels for something else. :) Just going over some system designs in my mind. I've checked out the manuals for the P99 and it is not clear to me if you can run full bandwidth signals out of the high channel.

Thanks!
I believe you can just set the slope to flat and it will output full bandwidth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,939 Posts

Thanks!
IIRC, the high ch has a fixed highpass applied. I believe 1kHz/6dB was the lowest you can go...

·
Registered
16 Posts
IIRC, the high ch has a fixed highpass applied. I believe 1kHz/6dB was the lowest you can go...
Bummer! Can anyone else verify this? The manual says 800Hz is the lowest HPF you can apply. However, there is the PASS option for slope. Does choosing the PASS option for slope send out a full range signal out the high RCA's?

So, if someone was using an external processor, the P99 would only send a signal above 800Hz out of the high output?

Anyone else have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont remember the exeact numbers, but i do know that there is a "defence" for the high output so that one will not accedentliy burn his tweeters.

can't you do your thing with the mid's output? they can play full range.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #512

Thanks!
Unfortunately not on the high channel- most likely built-in tweeter protection so consumers are not pissed off because of blown tweeters during the autotune function.
You are limited to 800Hz, 6 db / octave High Pass on the high channel. All others can be full pass.
I have my midrange with passive low pass / high pass to tweeter on the high channel.
Some very credible mobile audio experts believe that an 800Hz crossover between midbass and midrange works well with the typical lower door / upper door or a-pillar configuration. Hopefully they are right because with the P99 running rear fill 800 Hz is it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately not on the high channel- most likely built-in tweeter protection so consumers are not pissed off because of blown tweeters during the autotune function.
You are limited to 800Hz, 6 db / octave High Pass on the high channel. All others can be full pass.
I have my midrange with passive low pass / high pass to tweeter on the high channel.
Some very credible mobile audio experts believe that an 800Hz crossover between midbass and midrange works well with the typical lower door / upper door or a-pillar configuration. Hopefully they are right because with the P99 running rear fill 800 Hz is it.
Bummer! Thanks for the info avanti. This is exactly what I was curious about.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I'm about to install a p99, I can't decide if I want to do 2-way plus sub and rears, or just two way with sub.

Either way, I can use the 1st of outputs for highs correct?
I had my P99 running F/R/S and it is definitely no optimum. Mine has been sitting in it's box for over a year since removing it from my previous vehicle as I'm still looking for just the right amp & two way front stage speakers for my '12 Accord sedan. Also considering a band-pass vented through the sub grill so my trunk lid doesn't rattle. Spare $$ is limiting factor for now. IMO, if you want to run F/R/S, get a different, less expensive HU.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've finally found one to replace my 80prs. Can't wait to get my mitts on it!
Best get reading through this thread again :)

The 80PRS was great but I wanted to go 3 way plus subs. Was a toss up between the P99 & Clarion DRZ9255. Hope its worth it :blush:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Owner of a 9887 who drive a modded supra and listen to rap/rock/dance music throught his Ipod... Will I see a benefit/upgrade with the p99rs !? Running active 2way if that matter.

Does the p99rs carry the same warmth sound as other Pioneer unit ( I had a p780mp a while back) vs my alpine ( more crisp/clear) sound ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
By the way if one was to plug an ipod through the USB of the 99 would the sound be the same or would it be improved

I know it sounds crazy but last time I played some music through my cell and the sound was different even though I tried playing the same song 320kpbs quality recording on a cd and through my cell

so I never quite figured out why the difference?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
iPod/USB/CD sources are all identical. AUX-in however is not.

Can't remember, but ain't some of the "sound improvement" settings stored into different sources? So it remembers the settings for USB and one for CD etc etc. Could be wrong, otherwise it's probably the brain playing tricks on you. Everything is processed through the same DACs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
iPod/USB/CD sources are all identical. AUX-in however is not.

Can't remember, but ain't some of the "sound improvement" settings stored into different sources? So it remembers the settings for USB and one for CD etc etc. Could be wrong, otherwise it's probably the brain playing tricks on you. Everything is processed through the same DACs.
Okay thanks for the input. however having such a sensitive hear i am 100% sure that the same song played from my phone through bluetooth and even usb is different quality than when i plugged in the ipod......

I would much rather like the pure sound from the 99 rather than have all these different media storages putting their own "spin" on things.

501 - 520 of 1122 Posts