DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Update 8/18/12:

The DEX continues to out perform the more the rest of the system is upgraded. An upgrade to a 3-way front stage with HAT wideband drivers and proper tuning have brought the SQ to a new level. Clean, detailed, accurate and a sound stage that is 3-dimensionsal and high.

I do have one "downer" to report though. The volume control seems to have slowed down- in other words, when I rapidly spin the volume knob the volume sometimes does not change, changes very slowly or even reverses a little.
If I spin it slowly, all is good but it is still a little issue. I do wish the volume control responded better- it seems to take too long to turn the volume up or down substantially- especially if you're in a hurry, like a toll booth, conversation, etc. Because we all know that we cannot listen at anything other than a very high level!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I noticed that same thing with the volume on mine. It is annoying but I kept my remote attached to my steering wheel and just use the mute button instead. But when I install it in my new Accord, Ill use the steering wheel controls and wont have my remote strapped to the wheel so Ill have to use the UI for more things. The buttons on this thing are awful and almost unusable. Pioneer built a superb head unit and one of the best in history but the UI is just horrible.

But those gripes aside, the P99 truly is a remarkable piece of equipment. Enough processing power for 99.9% of applications, beautiful build and design, pure sonic goodness and totally noise free but a horrible UI. I'd still recommend one and buy it again if I had to do it all over.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
168 Posts
I feel that the unit doesn't like mixing odd an even order slope. For example, everytime I do 6dB (or 18) HP and 24dB LP between mid and subwoofer would always guarantee an out of phase result AND off-center imaging. Flipping the phase works, but not with bass coming way from behind. Putting it back to 12/24 or 12/12 always work fine and they integrate nicely. Don't know if it's the same on my mid/tweeter (currently at 6H/12L) because I don't know how to distinguish between in phase and out of phase mid/tweet. I may switch to 12/12 in the future.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm considering upgrading my Premier 980BT to this. Where is the best place to purchase the 99?
I just purchased this HU used on eBay for $750. I had been looking to pick one up for months but only for the right price. $1.2k was out of my ball park.

If you want a nice shiny new one from an authorized dealer...
Pioneer Stage 4 DEX-P99RS CD receiver/preamp at Crutchfield.com

I am really thankful for the EXTENSIVE discussion of the auto time allignment / auto eq features of this deck. It will definately be the first feature I use. Anyway thanks for everyone contribution and hopefully I can add somethings that I find after everything is going.

One final question. I have an Eclipse CD7200mkii, how big of an improvement will this deck be in your estimation?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I noticed that same thing with the volume on mine. It is annoying but I kept my remote attached to my steering wheel and just use the mute button instead. But when I install it in my new Accord, Ill use the steering wheel controls and wont have my remote strapped to the wheel so Ill have to use the UI for more things. The buttons on this thing are awful and almost unusable. Pioneer built a superb head unit and one of the best in history but the UI is just horrible.

But those gripes aside, the P99 truly is a remarkable piece of equipment. Enough processing power for 99.9% of applications, beautiful build and design, pure sonic goodness and totally noise free but a horrible UI. I'd still recommend one and buy it again if I had to do it all over.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
thanks for the info. good to know the unit is not failing. if you want a really bad UI check out some of the other pioneer HUs. I had one where the multifunction control looked like a mini satellite dish- it hardly ever executed the command you were expecting.
i also read where touch screen head units are considered too distracting. sound quality not withstanding i personally would not want a full touch screen UI for a car headunit.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I feel that the unit doesn't like mixing odd an even order slope. For example, everytime I do 6dB (or 18) HP and 24dB LP between mid and subwoofer would always guarantee an out of phase result AND off-center imaging. Flipping the phase works, but not with bass coming way from behind. Putting it back to 12/24 or 12/12 always work fine and they integrate nicely. Don't know if it's the same on my mid/tweeter (currently at 6H/12L) because I don't know how to distinguish between in phase and out of phase mid/tweet. I may switch to 12/12 in the future.
good point- i have noticed that different slope combinations seem to do more than just change the frequencies a driver is playing / not playing. what does it sound like to you? i don't think it sounds completely out of phase but definitely different and it does affect the centering. i would like to be able to understand this more- to know exactly what i'm getting when a given slope combination is set for a given network.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I do 6/24 the subwoofer plays along with the left side speaker. Lost all the punches and sound muddy. Flip the phase to REV and it's much tighter, but the bass seems to play by itself (from the back). The image appears to come from the right side.

Also, I don't know if it's only me. My subwoofers are almost always TA in the 154/155in region no matter what slope I choose.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
I suggest NOT to spin the volume fast. You'll wear out the volume control, and what will end up happening is the volume will sort of "skip" while turning and not move up or down. I believe the pot is a bit fragile. Having installed and use many, you can tell which are older and which are new, or haven't been used as much by the feel of the volume control. Brand new, the volume basically feels the same as the tuning knob.

I replaced mine a bit ago since it was a pain to control volume. I use much more finesse while controlling the volume now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Update 9/3/2012:

I'm planning to upgrade my subwoofer driver to help the deep bass output below 60hz or so. My current drivers are OK but I believe they can be beat in overall SQ and extended low frequency response without resorting to a ported enclosure once again.

The new drivers are on order (Scanspeak Discovery 12") and from what I have read these should offer a big improvement and shift the F3 frequency to about 37Hz or so down from est. 44 Hz. The plots look really nice down as low as 20Hz.

To help this effort I just read that the P99's SW network has some attractive High Pass frequency settings.
Currently I have my amplifier's infrasonic filter activated. It is preset to 30Hz, 24db slope. I use it because even a subwoofer with a sealed enclosure sounds better and tighter with it activated. I have tested this extensively.
However, to help increase the output of the lowest frequencies between 20 to 30Hz I plan to deactivate the infrasonic on the amp and use the P99 SW HPF to control the infrasonic.
I can choose either 20, 25 or 31 Hz and every slope is available from PASS to 36db.
Talk about versatility! Plus it will be nice to try this real time from the driver's seat with some reference deep bass tracks.
I have some older progressive rock that I love that has some deep bass organ passages. Really deep. I was kind of disappointed the last time I played it because I remember it sounding so much better with the ported enclosure. However I am NOT going back to ported. The SQ of the sealed is too great of a trade off to lose again. Therefore the upgrade in driver for a lower F3 as well as a little infrasonic / HPF experimentation with the trusty and versatile DEX P99.
Say tuned and I will report back when I install the new sub.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Such a awesome head unit. Does anyone know where I can buy one (that's not msrp) and not from crutchfield or woofersect? Obviously this thing will cost quite a bit but there's gotta be a deal somewhere to be had. (Also looked on their website and there's no dealers for this headunit anywhere near my house :S

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Such a awesome head unit. Does anyone know where I can buy one (that's not msrp) and not from crutchfield or woofersect? Obviously this thing will cost quite a bit but there's gotta be a deal somewhere to be had. (Also looked on their website and there's no dealers for this headunit anywhere near my house :S
i ordered mine from crutch- great service and free harness and mounting hardware. stage 4 stuff was pulled from most dealers for some reason.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
i ordered mine from crutch- great service and free harness and mounting hardware. stage 4 stuff was pulled from most dealers for some reason.
I'm going to keep looking for a bit in hope I can find one for a better price. While this headunit is definitely god-tier I can't justify spending over $1000. I'm hoping to find one for like $900.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's highly doubtful you'll find a new one for 900. Although I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat for that price, that's pretty much used territory. Lowest I can see on a new one would be $1050.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
It's highly doubtful you'll find a new one for 900. Although I'd snatch one up in a heartbeat for that price, that's pretty much used territory. Lowest I can see on a new one would be $1050.
Any deal is better than that 1200 price tag. I saw on crutchfield they have one a little cheaper for like 60 bucks less. Though it's an opened packaged. Fudge that, I'm not saving only $60 to find out some weirdo diddled that product and sent it back.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
just for kicks i ran some "lower cost" scenarios for my system and included the deh-80prs. I could probably live with the 16 band EQ but only 6-channels is a deal breaker.

61 - 80 of 1122 Posts