DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI, new here im about to use the Pr99rs as 4 way active but with tweet, midbass, rear coaxial and subwoofer, lets see what i can make

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having been out of the loop for ten years, I have just, as we speak, got back into car audio and treated myself to a new DEX P99RS.

The learning curve was steep but well worth it. In my current car, a VW Touran, this is the first time I have kept things mega simple. A set of actively run co-ax 4in front speakers in a custom made enclosure and face into the car so nothing facing the windscreen. I do have a centre channel (same 4in brand and running +ve to +ve off the midrange channel) which faces the roof of the front but not aimed at the windscreen. A set of 8in speakers mounted in the door running in mono from 50Hz - 250Hz on -18dB slop at 50hz and a -6dB slope at 250Hz. I then have a box that I designed and made myself with 2x 15in in one of my Three Chambers Dual Reflex Boxes.

I have found the headunit just out of this world in terms of configuration and quality of service. I am still fiddling but for me, the high point has been the ability to set up the crossovers and slopes to my choices -

For my car I have picked, after careful listening the following settings -
SUBS - 25Hz @-18dB /slope to 63Hz @-12dB /slope
FRONT BASS - 50Hz @-24dB /slope to 250Hz @-6dB /slope
FRONT MIDS - 125Hz @-12dB /slope to 5KHz @-12dB /slope
FRONT TOPS - 4KHz @-18dB /slope to 20KHz - flat pass

At the mo I am running everything flat with zero equalisation and zero time alignment and I am just so happy with the performance as the above settings give me no stress on any of the speakers at 75% vol levels with appropriate gain settings.

In time I will play a little more with the eq settings but something tells me that with an EMMA 2018 CD, it is gonna be hard to improve what I can hear but this headunit is just amazing.

In my last car, I had the lovely SONY CR90 unit plus the SONY DSP unit and 2x Audio Control EQT plus their Epicentre and I can say from experience, replacing all of that with just the P99RS has been worth it and much easier to tailor my system to match my ears..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Having been out of the loop for ten years, I have just, as we speak, got back into car audio and treated myself to a new DEX P99RS.

The learning curve was steep but well worth it. In my current car, a VW Touran, this is the first time I have kept things mega simple. A set of actively run co-ax 4in front speakers in a custom made enclosure and face into the car so nothing facing the windscreen. I do have a centre channel (same 4in brand and running +ve to +ve off the midrange channel) which faces the roof of the front but not aimed at the windscreen. A set of 8in speakers mounted in the door running in mono from 50Hz - 250Hz on -18dB slop at 50hz and a -6dB slope at 250Hz. I then have a box that I designed and made myself with 2x 15in in one of my Three Chambers Dual Reflex Boxes.

I have found the headunit just out of this world in terms of configuration and quality of service. I am still fiddling but for me, the high point has been the ability to set up the crossovers and slopes to my choices -

For my car I have picked, after careful listening the following settings -
SUBS - 25Hz @-18dB /slope to 63Hz @-12dB /slope
FRONT BASS - 50Hz @-24dB /slope to 250Hz @-6dB /slope
FRONT MIDS - 125Hz @-12dB /slope to 5KHz @-12dB /slope
FRONT TOPS - 4KHz @-18dB /slope to 20KHz - flat pass

At the mo I am running everything flat with zero equalisation and zero time alignment and I am just so happy with the performance as the above settings give me no stress on any of the speakers at 75% vol levels with appropriate gain settings.

In time I will play a little more with the eq settings but something tells me that with an EMMA 2018 CD, it is gonna be hard to improve what I can hear but this headunit is just amazing.

In my last car, I had the lovely SONY CR90 unit plus the SONY DSP unit and 2x Audio Control EQT plus their Epicentre and I can say from experience, replacing all of that with just the P99RS has been worth it and much easier to tailor my system to match my ears.
Are there any major differences between the 99PRS and 80PRS?

I have had the 80 PRS since 2013 and I have been every so slowly learning how to set all the network mode frequencies. I know that the 80PRS allows you to run a set of high mid and lows on network mode. Does the 99 PRS allow you to run any additional speakers channels? What are the major differences?

Well I found this so maybe this will answer my question.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-251AbT2ZlO5/compare_13080PRS_130DEXP99R/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS-vs-Pioneer-Stage-4-DEX-P99RS.html?XVINQ=DST&XVVER=AAA&awcp=1t1&awcr=164108129967&awdv=c&awkw=&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9032686&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF1IOxclQhpeSf1uQbEy-J55nYFHutTzReq9U6pVzCfnBMmhrZl3uQwaApXYEALw_wcB

The one thing that I have wanted to do every since I got my 80PRS is add a second set of high and mid range speakers but it only allows for one set. I am running now with high/mid in front and another set of mids in the rear. (no subwoofer). I get enough bass but yes I can tell there is a lot I am missing without anything connected to the low inputs (sub).

·
Registered
7,280 Posts

I have had the 80 PRS since 2013 and I have been every so slowly learning how to set all the network mode frequencies. I know that the 80PRS allows you to run a set of high mid and lows on network mode. Does the 99 PRS allow you to run any additional speakers channels? What are the major differences?
The primary difference (besides the p99 looking and feeling much nicer than the 80prs) is that the 80prs is only 3 way active capable, and the p99 is 4 way active capable. The P99 does NOT process center channels, or differential rear fill.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The primary difference (besides the p99 looking and feeling much nicer than the 80prs) is that the 80prs is only 3 way active capable, and the p99 is 4 way active capable. The P99 does NOT process center channels, or differential rear fill.
I gotta ask. Does the 99PRS have a faster fast forward/search option (when listening to large lossless file formats than the PRS 90? I listen to mix sets often and I want to fast forward to a point in that set - yet it is so very slow to do that on the 80PRS. Ahh that 4 way active. I see do one of the 4 way active channels allow you to run a second set of mid range speakers?

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
I gotta ask. Does the 99PRS have a faster fast forward/search option (when listening to large lossless file formats than the PRS 90? I listen to mix sets often and I want to fast forward to a point in that set - yet it is so very slow to do that on the 80PRS. Ahh that 4 way active. I see do one of the 4 way active channels allow you to run a second set of mid range speakers?
If you're asking about quickly fast forwarding through a particular track, I'm not sure, I never did a lot of that. A typical 4 way active setup is tweeters, midrange (usually 2-4"), midbass (usually 6.5-8"), and sub(s).

·
Registered
103 Posts
The one thing that I have wanted to do every since I got my 80PRS is add a second set of high and mid range speakers but it only allows for one set. I am running now with high/mid in front and another set of mids in the rear. (no subwoofer). I get enough bass but yes I can tell there is a lot I am missing without anything connected to the low inputs (sub).
I am guessing that this unit (P99RS) was designed with the classic belief that a high-end system only has a front stage and rear sub and to that end, they saw no reason to put in the stages you would have loved to have seen.

Based on having no internal amplification the P99RS then to run a 6-way or 7-way setup would be quite expensive, even in the 80PRS version, this would have been complicated and not cheap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am guessing that this unit (P99RS) was designed with the classic belief that a high-end system only has a front stage and rear sub and to that end, they saw no reason to put in the stages you would have loved to have seen.

Based on having no internal amplification the P99RS then to run a 6-way or 7-way setup would be quite expensive, even in the 80PRS version, this would have been complicated and not cheap.
Right. I have been in standard mode for a long time then went back and fourth for a while - experimenting. So yeah I have been trying to squeeze as much as I can with network mode.

I didn't want to do it this way to begin with - but after brain storming for far too long (didn't want to buy a DSP and spent more money). I just said fuck it.. lets see what happens.
2x 6.5" components in the front
2x 6.5" in the rear deck

One 4 channel amp powering the front stage.
One 4 channel amp (bridged) running the rear set.

I am using a 1 male to 2 female RCA Y connector from the mid-range output to the bridged amp. I had to turn the gain up on the bridged amp to compensate for low signal but it .. well works. I just have no sub.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Well I found this so maybe this will answer my question.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-251AbT2ZlO5/compare_13080PRS_130DEXP99R/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS-vs-Pioneer-Stage-4-DEX-P99RS.html?XVINQ=DST&XVVER=AAA&awcp=1t1&awcr=164108129967&awdv=c&awkw=&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9032686&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpcLZBRCnARIsAMPBgF1IOxclQhpeSf1uQbEy-J55nYFHutTzReq9U6pVzCfnBMmhrZl3uQwaApXYEALw_wcB

31 Band independent L/R EQ also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 80PRS has independent L/R EQ also, but I don't remember how many bands.
If you run a fully active system then the P99RS allows you to run a 31 band EQ on each channel so could have the EQ on the tweeters totally independent from the midrange on the same side.. though without an RTA machine I am guessing setting things up could be a right headache.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
If you run a fully active system then the P99RS allows you to run a 31 band EQ on each channel so could have the EQ on the tweeters totally independent from the midrange on the same side.. though without an RTA machine I am guessing setting things up could be a right headache.
Nope, you have independent EQ for each side, not each channel. For the most part that doesn't matter since you have the frequencies crossed, but the P99RS does not do EQ per channel, just per side.

The "headache" is the entire point of these head units, haha. Using the DSP that's built in to optimize the sound is what makes them special, running them in standard mode to a set of passive components is a waste of what makes this head unit more desirable than others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nope, you have independent EQ for each side, not each channel. For the most part that doesn't matter since you have the frequencies crossed, but the P99RS does not do EQ per channel, just per side.

Yes you are right I was getting confused with the individual settings in the time alignment section.

·
Registered
103 Posts
CD Multi-player: Pioneer XDV P9

CD Multi-player: Pioneer XDV P9

I have one of these units with my P99R

Every time I switch the headset of off, when I switch it back on again, the CD in the player will start from where it was last played but the Multi-Player always starts from disc one when it is selected and not the last played - is this down to the wiring on the power cables or is this a normal feature of this unit.?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Auto EQ without Auto TA question..

Can someone tell me if it is possible to Auto EQ without TA... I have probably missed the obvious but seem unable to do this, any help appreciate

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Re: Auto EQ without Auto TA question..

Can someone tell me if it is possible to Auto EQ without TA... I have probably missed the obvious but seem unable to do this, any help appreciate
You can run the auto tune, which will set EQ and TA, but you can turn each off independently. Although, you're much better off tuning manually, the auto tune rarely gives optimal results. You can use it as a baseline to tune from, but to really make it sound it's best you'll want to tune manually.

·
Registered
103 Posts

You can run the auto tune, which will set EQ and TA, but you can turn each off independently. Although, you're much better off tuning manually, the auto tune rarely gives optimal results. You can use it as a baseline to tune from, but to really make it sound it's best you'll want to tune manually.
Cheers... When I ran an Audio Control RTA machine in the car, it was interesting.. in the end, I had a mate who is an audio thekky geek and he tuned in the car by his ears and I must admit, he did a pretty good job - I was almost to shy to tell him in case his head got too big.

I am now finding with my setup, that I can run the from 20hz -1Khz pretty much flat and then very slowly increase from 1Khz - 5Khz in 0.5dB movements and hen between 5Khz - 20Khz between 0.5dB-3dB - BUT some finer tuning is still required as I am striving for a near headphone like performance..

·
Registered
7,280 Posts

Cheers... When I ran an Audio Control RTA machine in the car, it was interesting.. in the end, I had a mate who is an audio thekky geek and he tuned in the car by his ears and I must admit, he did a pretty good job - I was almost to shy to tell him in case his head got too big.

I am now finding with my setup, that I can run the from 20hz -1Khz pretty much flat and then very slowly increase from 1Khz - 5Khz in 0.5dB movements and hen between 5Khz - 20Khz between 0.5dB-3dB - BUT some finer tuning is still required as I am striving for a near headphone like performance..
Headphone performance is only possible with headphones. Although, you can get killer staging and imagining with the tuning features of this head unit. The DSP in the P99RS is "limited" compared to standalone DSP's, but it has more than enough power to make a pretty amazing system. If you know how to use it, you can make it sound pretty awesome. Most people never fully learn to optimize it before going to a standalone DSP because they "need more processing."

1081 - 1100 of 1122 Posts