DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
So would you think I should send it back for a replacement? It plays most of the CDs without a problem, the Alpine plays them all. Don't know what to do.

·
Registered
312 Posts
well you said yourself that the discs are very worn. Yes, I have never had issues, but as scratched up as some of mine may be, yours may be worse.

It just sounds like you need to reinvest in new discs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hear what you're saying but why doesn't the Alpine deck have any problems with the worn CDs. I'm just wondering if the Alpine is a better unit in that respect or there is something wrong with mine. I really don't want to send it back if nothings wrong with it. I'm not going to be paying too many CDs in the future but that's not the point. You know what I mean?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
never had a problem- although mine does occasionally drop out if i go over a really harsh bump (my car has stiff tires and suspension) and i do take care of my CDs.
do you have another player (home CD player, computer cd player) that you can test the old discs in? if they play on everything but the P99 i would think about getting a replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am comparing the p99 to my dva 9965 side by side on the bench. The Alpine does not skip at all and the p99 skips on all the known cds that skip on my factory stock radio. I was just wondering if the pioneer is known for not being as good as the alpine. Overall the p99 sounds better so I want to keep it. I just bought it from Crutchfield so I want to make sure before I install it if this is a problem or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also I never owned anything but Alpine so I dont know how the others compare. I like the features of the Pioneer thats why I bought it. And I wanted more flexibility over buying external a processor for the Alpine. Should of kept my Alpine F1 Status.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Are those factory CD's or burned disks? I used to have problems with certain cheap burned disks and never had any problem again after switching to verbatim CD-r's.
That was on old Kenwood CD players and CD changers though. I've had some cd's burned in the early 90's that still play to this day. With factory CD's i've had only one quit on me since starting my collection in the 80's. I don't play much CD's in the car anymore. Everything I have is on USB anyway.
The reason I went with burned CD's is to not scratch up the originals in the car :D.
Took me a while to find a brand that just kept on playing. I do have a cheap head unit in the garage though that sticks once in a while, that problem is heat related though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 is a store bought cd and the others are burned. They are scratched but the pioneer being high end should play them as good as the alpine of the same caliber. Dont you think?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Also I never owned anything but Alpine so I dont know how the others compare. I like the features of the Pioneer thats why I bought it. And I wanted more flexibility over buying external a processor for the Alpine. Should of kept my Alpine F1 Status.
The Alpine 9965 has the F1 transport. ;)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
1 is a store bought cd and the others are burned. They are scratched but the pioneer being high end should play them as good as the alpine of the same caliber. Dont you think?
Only if the burned CD's are high end too :D. What I said, there is a big difference between junk CD-r and better types. I would'n blame the Pioneer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lets put the quailty of discs to the side. The 9965 plays them all the p99 doesn't. This leads me to believe the Alpines CD internals are better?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Lets put the quailty of discs to the side. The 9965 plays them all the p99 doesn't. This leads me to believe the Alpines CD internals are better?
I wouldn't rate a CD player on it's abillity to read scratched disks. I wouldn't rate my own vision by looking through a scratched window.

Now if it would skip on bumpy roads, that would bother me.

I'd replace the scratched burned disks, but if you want to replace the P99, you're free to do it of coarse. ;)
As I said, my current Pioneer P88 RSII reads my burned disks from the early 90's but they are good quality and don't scratch easy. They don't skip, even on a bumpy road. I'd rate my suspension as pretty stiff. The disks claimed a lifetime warranty and live up to it. In all fairness, I've only used the CD player in the first year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wrong!:rolleyes:
Hint DVA****= dvd player(also plays DVA format)..CDA****= cd player
It's plays DVD, yes but there is a big differance between DVD with audio and DVD AUDIO DVD playback. F1 Status DVI 9990 plays DVD AUDIO the DVA 9965 plays DVD VIDEO with Audio playback.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't rate a CD player on it's abillity to read scratched disks. I wouldn't rate my own vision by looking through a scratched window.

Now if it would skip on bumpy roads, that would bother me.

I'd replace the scratched burned disks, but if you want to replace the P99, you're free to do it of coarse. ;)
As I said, my current Pioneer P88 RSII reads my burned disks from the early 90's but they are good quality and don't scratch easy. They don't skip, even on a bumpy road. I'd rate my suspension as pretty stiff. The disks claimed a lifetime warranty and live up to it. In all fairness, I've only used the CD player in the first year.
You do make good points. I still beleive the Alpine reads the CDs better than the Pioneer but I guess there is nothing wrong with my particular unit so I'll keep this one. The sound is amazing. I probably will hardly use the CD section but wanted to make sure it was perfect anyway. So what way do you guys use the USB for the best sound quality and to take full advantage of this decks capabilities? WAV? Let me know. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
You do make good points. I still beleive the Alpine reads the CDs better than the Pioneer but I guess there is nothing wrong with my particular unit so I'll keep this one. The sound is amazing. I probably will hardly use the CD section but wanted to make sure it was perfect anyway. So what way do you guys use the USB for the best sound quality and to take full advantage of this decks capabilities? WAV? Let me know. Thanks again
Mp3 encoded with lame vbr v2-v0 is practically equal to cd-quality. Wav/flac is overkill and there's no audible difference imo.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
312 Posts
ALAC played through ipod classic.

The ipod interface on the pioneer is stellar
Also you won't get any higher quality than that.

141 - 160 of 1122 Posts