DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the intention of buying a denon HU- then i realized that there is no warranty for it in the US. and no ipod connectivity, amongst other things.

then i thought about the MX406 or MX5000/4000. but its very limited.
i read that you can even fast forwards or rewind a disc.

i love the DEX-p99RS from Pioneer because of the gadgetry: i needed ipod connectivity (i don't even have a CD player at home anymore), i needed a remote (just in case), and it has HDRadio..

my question is - what am I losing if i choose the Pioneer over the rest.

i also need help with choosing an amp (I have no clue in that area)

thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
comparing the mcintosh to the pioneer is like comparing ass to titties.

they're both super, but for difffferent reasons.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You're losing nothing except for the McIntosh aesthetic. (I think that's a big loss, personally; I love the way my Mac looks.)

By going with the Pioneer you're gaining a lot of processing horsepower. (You still need your own measurement gear, though, because for some odd reason Pioneer decided to base their autotune off of a single-point measurement rather than a spatially averaged measurement.)

With the Pioneer's processing zeroed out, they'll sound exactly the same. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to scam you.

And it sounds like to get the best out of the Pioneer you'd want to find an experienced tuner with a good suite of measurement gear. If you're paying that much for the hardware, you should be willing to pay to get the most out of it, too.

·
Banned
308 Posts
You're losing nothing except for the McIntosh aesthetic. (I think that's a big loss, personally; I love the way my Mac looks.)

By going with the Pioneer you're gaining a lot of processing horsepower. (You still need your own measurement gear, though, because for some odd reason Pioneer decided to base their autotune off of a single-point measurement rather than a spatially averaged measurement.)

With the Pioneer's processing zeroed out, they'll sound exactly the same. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to scam you.

And it sounds like to get the best out of the Pioneer you'd want to find an experienced tuner with a good suite of measurement gear. If you're paying that much for the hardware, you should be willing to pay to get the most out of it, too.
I have no reason to scam anyone, and I disagree. It's hard for me to believe the sound of the Mac can be reproduced by the Pioneer.

People forget that certain headunits have a specific sound. Can the Pioneer help your stage and imaging with its processing power....yes. But will it add to the warmth and natural-ness of the music....the instrument seperation...etc. Hell no.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I have no reason to scam anyone, and I disagree. It's hard for me to believe the sound of the Mac can be reproduced by the Pioneer.

People forget that certain headunits have a specific sound. Can the Pioneer help your stage and imaging with its processing power....yes. But will it add to the warmth and natural-ness of the music....the instrument seperation...etc. Hell no.
You're gonna get it!:laugh:

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts

Jay I hear you keep saying this and I understand way, but man I will have to disagree with you. Designs just differ to much to say this. I have 3 very nice heads here, one a Dead head with no internal processing, on a dead head with internal processing and one highly modified dead head with no internal processing and they all sound different even with the processing turned off in the unit with processing. Two of them not so much, but one of them it just very noticeable.

On one of the heads the Front and Rear outputs sound different and it is very noticeable. The only difference in the outputs is one has coupling caps in line and the other does not. Man i have not heard a difference as noticeable until I listen to this deck and it is as simple as a caps in or out. This is simply why I say it is just to bold of a statement to say they will sound the same. The circuitry could just differ to much.

I live close enough to you so you can hear it for yourself. Will they measure different more then likely yes. Is one design inferior to the other some my say yes, some may say no, but all are very nice heads in their own right.

But I agree with you. The P99 for the OP wants will be hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Reality is often "hard for [people] to believe," but that does not make it less real.

The "sound" of the Mac (which is in fact no sound at all except what's on the disk) can easily be reproduced by the Pioneer. The "sound" of the Pioneer (with its advanced filtering properly employed) cannot be reproduced by the Mac, though. At least, not without an external signal processor that can create the same transfer function one created with the Pioneer.

Keep in mind I'm not a partisan for the Pioneer. I don't own one, and the chances of me ever owning one are only slightly nonzero. I use an external processor with less flexibility but a superior auto-tune compared to the Pioneer's onboard processing so most of its real benefits are moot to me, and I like the way my McIntosh HU looks too much! But for someone who's not interested in the autotune feature - Pioneer's doesn't rely on valid measurements because it's a single-point system rather than a spatially-averaged system, so it's not as good as Audyssey's or JBL's - and doesn't want an external signal processor that Pioneer is probably the best thing currently on the market.

People forget that certain headunits have a specific sound.
No, they don't.

Jay I hear you keep saying this and I understand way, but man I will have to disagree with you. Designs just differ to much to say this.
How "designs" differ just isn't relevant to this discussion. There are many different paths to achieve the same end result. And yes, there are examples of digital sources that are incompetently designed from the start (there has been some talk on this forum of a Clarion HU line with so-poor-that-it's-audible S/N problems). There are probably more examples of "high end" HU's "modded" by incompetent audiophool hacks, where in the name of fitting boutique-brand parts to a board they ruin a perfectly good circuit.

On one of the heads the Front and Rear outputs sound different and it is very noticeable. The only difference in the outputs is one has coupling caps in line and the other does not.
I suspect the difference is probably just a level-based one. A level that's a squidge hot or cold isn't a valid reason to spend megabucks on one part vs. another...

Will they measure different more then likely yes. Is one design inferior to the other some my say yes, some may say no, but all are very nice heads in their own right.
If one measures audibly inferior to another and the variance is so great that it's audible, the inferior measuring one not a "very nice head." It is, in fact, simply not a high fidelity audio component.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Believe what you want to believe, i will keep in my own thoughts on that regard (seems to be pointless here) but the fact remains that the McIntosh and P99RS are two different animals with two different purposes/goals. Pick the one that suits your needs...that being said I got a LNIB Pioneer DEH-P01 (Japan-spec DEX-P99RS but comes with its own 6ch external amp and rumored "better" internals) :D

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
First, serious question about your P-01: is the amp bridgeable to three channels? If so, and you're willing to separate the amp from the head, PM me. :)

Second, how are they that different? They're both attractive, expensive digital sources. Yes, the McIntosh trades more on aesthetics, brand snobbery, throwback/retro looks and heritage, while the Pioneer_ trades more on just being able to do more stuff.

But I think it's pretty clear that the market for people willing to pay lots of money for a car audio digital source is small, and all of the firms that serve the market are all chasing after all of those potential customers.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I need to look in the manual and see if the amp is bridgable but unfortunately I will not separate it from the DEH-P01

They are different because they are designed for similar but different end-users. Asthetically is debatable. If you are saying that all well made HUs are the same, then thats a mute point. Now the DEH-P01 has DSP functions while the McIntosh does not, now which one is better? ;)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Now the DEH-P01 has DSP functions while the McIntosh does not, now which one is better? ;)
Um, how is that anything but a restatement of my second post in this thread:

The "sound" of the Mac (which is in fact no sound at all except what's on the disk) can easily be reproduced by the Pioneer. The "sound" of the Pioneer (with its advanced filtering properly employed) cannot be reproduced by the Mac, though. At least, not without an external signal processor that can create the same transfer function one created with the Pioneer.
What is the biggest difference of the P99RS and MX5000?
Im wondring on buying a MX5000.
Looks and DSP.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
First, serious question about your P-01: is the amp bridgeable to three channels? If so, and you're willing to separate the amp from the head, PM me. :)

Second, how are they that different? They're both attractive, expensive digital sources. Yes, the McIntosh trades more on aesthetics, brand snobbery, throwback/retro looks and heritage, while the Pioneer_ trades more on just being able to do more stuff.

But I think it's pretty clear that the market for people willing to pay lots of money for a car audio digital source is small, and all of the firms that serve the market are all chasing after all of those potential customers.
snaimpally is selling the little amp, you can ask him for more details. But after I use this amp, I until today never hook back my JL Audio A6450 despite my midbass sounds a bit weak

I need to look in the manual and see if the amp is bridgable but unfortunately I will not separate it from the DEH-P01

They are different because they are designed for similar but different end-users. Asthetically is debatable. If you are saying that all well made HUs are the same, then thats a mute point. Now the DEH-P01 has DSP functions while the McIntosh does not, now which one is better? ;)
Nope, the amp cannot be bridged.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Um, how is that anything but a restatement of my second post in this thread:
Can I not state my opinion smarty? :p But seriously, you have to admit that you cant say that ALL HUs sound the same, then add the stipulation once you turn off all DSP functions or take out anything that can contribute to altering sounds. Sounds like the Richard Clark Amp Challenge doesn't :eek:

Which have the best DSP?
Are you serious??? The McIntosh doenst have any DSP :confused:

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
Can I not state my opinion smarty? :p But seriously, you have to admit that you cant say that ALL HUs sound the same, then add the stipulation once you turn off all DSP functions or take out anything that can contribute to altering sounds. Sounds like the Richard Clark Amp Challenge doesn't :eek:

Are you serious??? The McIntosh doenst have any DSP :confused:
That is my point. All sound the same is just to bold of a statement.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Can I not state my opinion smarty? :p But seriously, you have to admit that you cant say that ALL HUs sound the same, then add the stipulation once you turn off all DSP functions or take out anything that can contribute to altering sounds.
Of course you can! In fact, it's idiotic not to.

Otherwise, you're just comparing features, but doing so in an intellectually dishonest way.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
What music do you listen to? Is it modern day, brick wall compressed, loud as all get out, loudness war discs?

OR

Do you listen to older, quality recordings such as Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs/Ultradisc, CBS/Sony Mastersound, etc?

If you mainly listen to the modern day, brick wall compressed discs, then it is function of garbage in/garbage out. In other words, your choice of head unit would be the least of your worries.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts